• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Veromi is Violating My Privacy!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmwmc

California -

Hello,

There is a site called Veromi.net that is displaying my personal information and selling it WITHOUT my permission. In fact, they have an address you write to to be removed. I sent my letter in 1 year ago. They never actually removed it - shifted my information around and lied about it, and now it is back in full form with my correct info. In my first letter I demanded to be removed PERMANENTLY, and they are selling my info AGAIN! I want to be removed PERMANENTLY. What do i do? This site is a complete violation of my safety and my right to privacy, and now they are displaying my info AFTER my removal request.

Help please!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California -

Hello,

There is a site called Veromi.net that is displaying my personal information and selling it WITHOUT my permission. In fact, they have an address you write to to be removed. I sent my letter in 1 year ago. They never actually removed it - shifted my information around and lied about it, and now it is back in full form with my correct info. In my first letter I demanded to be removed PERMANENTLY, and they are selling my info AGAIN! I want to be removed PERMANENTLY. What do i do? This site is a complete violation of my safety and my right to privacy, and now they are displaying my info AFTER my removal request.

Help please!
That site is a public records search site...

cmwmc

I sent a written removal request though...

BUT - they offer an address to be removed, I sent a written request, which not only did they ignore - but they went on to display mostly similar, but slightly inaccurate info about me to pretend they had removed it.

This is a HUGE safety issue for me, and I have a right to my privacy and safety - and they are PROFITING from it.

It's not just public records - if you read their disclaimer, they are a private company and profiting.

I want to be removed permanently.

I need help :(

quincy

If the information displayed is inaccurate, out-dated, or confidential (some medical records, education records, military service records, "rap sheets" compiled by law enforcement agencies in California, for instance), then you might have some recourse.

Otherwise, the information does not violate California or federal law, and Veromi does not have to remove it.

To review applicable laws, you can visit Official California Legislative Information and Fair Credit Reporting Act, or check out California Penal Code §§11105, 13300 and California Civil Code §§1785, 1786, and 15 USC §1681.

CraigFL

Everyone should google their name and its variations in quotes to see what's out there. You will be surprised what's public...

quincy

I agree, Craig, that it can be an eye-opener to discover what is information is available about you for others to see.

I recommend that everyone not only Google their own name but also complete their own background check of themselves prior to applying for jobs - so that any incorrect information can be corrected or so that you can advise your prospective employers of the inaccuracies they may find.

It is especially common to have false criminal record data turn up in a background check if your name is a common one and the agency doing the check does not verify the information.

The process to correct erroneous data can be complicated and time-consuming, but it is definitely worth doing.

In addition, employers are doing internet searches that include MySpace and Facebook and other social networking sites, and if you have questionable information posted about yourself, you should remove all of it. If you do not clean up your internet image (removing "party" photos, for instance), you may be passed over for a job.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I recommend that everyone not only Google their own name but also complete their own background check of themselves prior to applying for jobs - so that any incorrect information can be corrected or so that you can advise your prospective employers of the inaccuracies they may find...It is especially common to have false criminal record data turn up in a background check if your name is a common one and the agency doing the check does not verify the information. The process to correct erroneous data can be complicated and time-consuming, but it is definitely worth doing.
This cannot be recommended strongly enough. I once found out I was "on probation" for a crime I never committed in a town I'd never been to. It was seven years from the time the mistake first happened to when I finally got it straightened out, and I never did find out exactly how it happened. All I know is I was confused with a distant relative-by-marriage who had the same name.

cmwmc

:(

im a web designer, so I have been googling my name for several years - the internet and it's capabilities are nothing new to me - and I have been an extremely private person throughout the past couple years intentionally because I am so aware.

This is a true statement - if you google my name...NOTHING comes up about me. Literally. Nothing. No location info - no high school info - no employment info - no personal situations - NOTHING.

Veromi is the only place on the interent that has any info about me. I have no criminal record - no court appearances - no sports competition results - no classmate profiles - all my web domains for my job are private listings, I do not have Myspace, Facebook, or any other social networking site for the fact that I do not want to be displayed on the internet.

I have severe safety concerns, and someone being able to purchase my address and phone number off the internet legitimately puts me in an extremely unsafe situation.

Veromi buys our information and sells it. They make money by putting our privacy, safety, and in some cases - lives - in jeopardy.

I don't see how this is legal - especially when we send in formal requests to be removed - and they ignore it, or shift our information around. They have my brother on the site as a 56 year old man - he is far younger than that - our father is not even 56 years old. They are not a professional credit check agency, they are simply an internet scam site, but unfortunately they have very powerful information that they are distributing.

They are taking advantage on several levels - if you want to be sure you stay off of their site - they offer a link to their OTHER site - which charges you $99 to opt out?! SO they put your info out there - they make money - then they make money but charging us to keep it off there?!

I never invited Veromi into my life - I don't see how they have a right to profit from violating it.

Last edited:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I never invited Veromi into my life - I don't see how they have a right to profit from violating it.
Because, simply, some of your information is available to the public whether you like it or not. Compling a profile of a specific person might take some effort to put it all in one place, but that doesn't make it any less legal than the sources from which it was gathered.

In my city, tax records are public. In my state, voting records are public. So are arrest records and court dockets. We have public telephone directories, public records of corporate registrations, public personal property records, and the Register of Deeds offers public information on marriages, divorces, births, and deaths. And much, much, more.

Therefore: my neighbor, Jane Smith, lives at 1313 Mockingbird Lane, in a 2500 square foot house she purchased in 1990 for $115,000.00. Her property taxes of $900 are currently paid. She drives a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix with tag number BR549. Her property taxes on that vehicle are unpaid for tax year 2008. She's a registered Democrat and has voted in two of the past three Presidential elections. Her phone number is (123)867-5309. She is the President of Widgets, Inc., and her office is located at 12345 Maple Avenue. The business was issued city license 1234, county license 5678, her tax ID number is 56-123456. She married Joe Blow in 1993, has one child, Marzipan, born in 1997 at Presbyterian Hospital, divorced Joe in 2003, and her grandmother (SSN 123-456-789) died at the age of 83. Jane was arrested for possession of a controlled substance last year, and here's her mug shot. According to that arrest record, she's 5'-4, weighs 114 pounds, and her date of birth is January 1, 1970.

I didn't break a single law there.

That doesn't mean, cmwmc, that there's nothing you can do about this. You have the right to spend a lot of time and money to sue Veromi in civil court in an attempt to compel them to remove your information. Be prepared to lose.

cmwmc

:)

thank you charlotte - but i choose to take a more positive view of life - we are not victims - we are not powerless...

I posted in here looking for someone who may have advice on what I CAN do... what someone thinks i CANNOT do is their opinion and they have a right to of course :D Im not looking for any arguments or negative overviews of what a horrible and creepy state our society is in lol... Just some help getting removed from this specific site.

If anyone has any advice on how to get removed from their site, I would appreciate it :D

Thank you!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
thank you charlotte - but i choose to take a more positive view of life - we are not victims - we are not powerless...

I posted in here looking for someone who may have advice on what I CAN do... what someone thinks i CANNOT do is their opinion and they have a right to of course :D Im not looking for any arguments or negative overviews of what a horrible and creepy state our society is in lol... Just some help getting removed from this specific site.

If anyone has any advice on how to get removed from their site, I would appreciate it

Thank you!
You're welcome!

And I hate to be a buzz-kill, but there are some things over which we are powerless. One of those things is that there is certain information about us that has always been public, is currently public, and will continue to be public. Your refusal to accept that doesn't make it any less correct.

If you are determined not to let this go I did tell you what to do to attempt to get yourself removed from that site. Sue them in civil court. The rules for that procedure specific to your locality should be easily found online through your county's web site.

If you choose to dismiss my warning that it's going to cost you time and money as hyperbolic negativity--well, it's your time and your money, and your local court system can probably use the cash. Knock yourself out.

Good luck, and have a nice day.

quincy

cmwmc -

You are not powerless when it comes to removing your private data from the internet but it is difficult and time-consuming and, when it comes to public records, it may take a court order and/or an invasion of privacy (publication of private data) lawsuit to do so - and these are not always successful.

Following are some websites that you can go to to request the removal of your information from their databases. Some have online forms to fill-out, some require confirmation of your identity through driver's license information or state ID information, some require letters sent through the mail, and all require that you provide MORE information in order to get the information removed. You will need to decide if you are comfortable with this.

www.the-dma.org is the site for the Direct Marketing Association, and you can submit removal requests to opt out of all mailings, telemarketing and email promotions - although DMA may charge you to have your information removed from their database.

WhitePages.com is a directory with your name and address and phone number and you can request directory removal through an online form. Mark "General Privacy Concerns" as the reason for the removal.

Contact Experian, TransUnion and Equifax for copies of your credit reports and follow the instructions for removing information from these.

People Search & Background Check is a database often used for background checks and a request to have information removed must be by mail and you must include a lot of personal information (including your social security number) in order to have your request granted.

Acxiom: Global Interactive Marketing Services is the background search site, Acxiom, which provides data to websites, businesses and to law enforcement agencies. You CANNOT remove information that is provided to law enforcement or businesses, however you CAN opt out of the marketing database. Request an opt out form online.

555-1212.com provides phone numbers and addresses and you can opt out of having this information published through an online opt out form.

People Search | Background Check | Reverse Cell Phone Lookup - Intelius.com, another background search database, keeps track of court records among other things. Follow instructions on the site to get information removed. You must fax a copy of your driver's license (or state ID), but you can black-out your photo and license number.

To prevent further information from showing up in these databases, you can choose to have an unlisted phone number, and you can choose to have a P.O. Box number, and you can opt out of advertising material sent to you by filling out a postal service opt out form.

Read all bank and credit card privacy statements. They will give you information on how to opt out of having them sell or provide your information to others.

Most public records, as Charlotte mentioned and listed, are nearly impossible to keep from being public. For that reason, I did not list the sites that maintain law enforcement, court and criminal record information (like fbi.gov) and other public record sites. The sites provided above are only some of the more well-known sites that distribute personal data where you have the ability to opt-out of having it displayed. There are other sites so you should do your own search.

States do have programs for domestic abuse victims, where they can have all information (including voting records and tax records and court records and addresses and phone numbers and more) kept confidential, but these programs can be limited to certain abuse victims under certain circumstances. A domestic abuse shelter will have information on these programs.

Contact Veromi again with an opt-out form AND tell them the information is incorrect. Then make changes to your phone number (to unlisted) and your address (to a P.O. Box).

Finally, if all else fails, you can sue for invasion of privacy. Some suits, as I said, have been successful. MOST AREN'T. All are extremely expensive to pursue. And, unless you take steps prior to filing suit to have all information remain confidential and sealed, the court action will become public record - once again complicating your quest to remove all personal data from the internet.

(not removable unless false would be a person's listing on a sex offender registry, terrorist list, fugitives list, on state or county criminal records - unless sealed, on civil litigation or liens or civil judgments - unless sealed, and warrants)

Last edited:

cmwmc

I Got Removed...

hey charlotte...

just wanted to let you let know...

Im not trying to be rude or childish but I came in here simply for some help and you came across a little condescending rather than really offering any new help - and despite what you thought - there is an option you were not aware of.

I signed up with a removal program - XXXX was the one I had recommended to me - I was removed from Veromi, People Search, and the other public records sites selling info in less than 24 hours.

So for anyone else who has this issue...

YOU ARE NOT POWERLESS.

You don't have to go to court.

Sign up for a removal service - it was only 80 bucks for the year. Worth to me when you weigh how much your privacy, safety, and identity protection are worth :D They also do daily removals in case anything new comes up about you.

Thank you to the person who actually helped me :D !!!!! I truly do appreciate the info, and i am happily removed and feeling much safer.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

I am glad that you now feel your personal information is safe and secure, and I am happy that your Veromi situation has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Paying for the removal of your personal information does cut down on the time you have to spend yourself, locating the information that has been published about you on the internet. You can, however, do yourself what the optout program does for money, should you want to avoid the cost.

Also, do be aware that opt out forms and opt out sites can only do so much to prevent your personal information from appearing online. If you stay out of court and out of trouble, you eliminate a lot of the problems, certainly. But tax records and property records and voting records and driver's license records (among other public records) can remain accessible to those who want to go to the trouble of locating them. ;)

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
hey charlotte...

just wanted to let you let know...

Im not trying to be rude or childish but I came in here simply for some help and you came across a little condescending rather than really offering any new help - and despite what you thought - there is an option you were not aware of.

I signed up with a removal program - xyz.xyz was the one I had recommended to me - I was removed from Veromi, People Search, and the other public records sites selling info in less than 24 hours.

So for anyone else who has this issue...

YOU ARE NOT POWERLESS.

You don't have to go to court.

Sign up for a removal service - it was only 80 bucks for the year. Worth to me when you weigh how much your privacy, safety, and identity protection are worth :D They also do daily removals in case anything new comes up about you.

Thank you to the person who actually helped me :D !!!!! I truly do appreciate the info, and i am happily removed and feeling much safer.
Quoted to leave info but remove link...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">