• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Can a victim sue the district attorneys office and the judge if her rights as a victim were violated

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There are any number of reasons why none of this happened. I could only guess. Out here victims get written handouts outlining these processes, and asserting your rights as a victim often falls into the victim's court and not the county's or the state's. I cannot say how it is supposed to work in your state or jurisdiction, but if someone dropped the ball you can certainly make a stink about it even if you may not be able to seek any redress.
Yay! Thank you. You made me smile. All I've done so far to raise my stink is post a negative review on Google. The ball was definitely dropped and I don't want the next person left in the dark and scared because they don't know what's going on.

Just Blue

Yay! Thank you. You made me smile. All I've done so far to raise my stink is post a negative review on Google. The ball was definitely dropped and I don't want the next person left in the dark and scared because they don't know what's going on.
You had a thread back in Oct that you deleted. I recall you being told a bit about your rights as a victim. If I recall correctly you were more interested in how to get the charges dropped.

Just a side note: be very careful that your negative review does not veer into being libelous.
How could that even possibly happen? I'm not lying. This shouldn't have happened to me and it's just not right. I hope someone gets butt hurt enough to do or say something because then more people will know what happened. Just because you were able to become what you wanted to be in life doesn't mean you are better and don't have to do your job. All they had to do was listen. Everything else while wrong didn't really matter it was over but when I was treated with so much disrespect and lack of empathy and compassion I would have rather been hit again. Sorry for my rambling and I do appreciate your time

quincy

How could that even possibly happen? I'm not lying. This shouldn't have happened to me and it's just not right. I hope someone gets butt hurt enough to do or say something because then more people will know what happened. Just because you were able to become what you wanted to be in life doesn't mean you are better and don't have to do your job. All they had to do was listen. Everything else while wrong didn't really matter it was over but when I was treated with so much disrespect and lack of empathy and compassion I would have rather been hit again. Sorry for my rambling and I do appreciate your time
A victim of a crime does not decide if the crime is prosecuted. If someone violates a law, the prosecutor (district attorney) decides whether to pursue charges.

You as victim can be asked to give a statement at sentencing but how much weight your statement is given depends on the judge and sentencing guidelines.

It is too bad that the treatment you received by the court made you feel victimized again, but I don't see that you have any legal action to pursue based on what you have said. You can speak to a victim's-rights attorney if you feel differently.

Good luck.

You had a thread back in Oct that you deleted. I recall you being told a bit about your rights as a victim. If I recall correctly you were more interested in how to get the charges dropped.
[/QUOTE I wish I could remember exactly what I wrote and what I was told. If there is a way to retrieve it I really think I need to read it. Because I only remember the one mission I had at the time and that was to get him out. Not only did I post on here but I signed an affidavit stating that I wasn't afraid and that this was an isolated incident. He wanted out. If I didn't want trouble I better do everything I can to get him out. I didn't have the bond money so I did everything I could to get him out. In October I was reaching out for a way to save myself from him lashing out. So I apologise for not remembering the bit I was told. Again someone on the local level should have made contact with me. October is domestic violence awareness month after all. Not that you want to hear my story either but he did get out. He went back to his home state. From there he continued to contact me. He always said he was sending someone to take the vehicle and he actually did once. He still was able to rock my world from another state. Only now the abuse was more psychological. So I do understand what you are saying. It's just different when you have no sense of self.

A victim of a crime does not decide if the crime is prosecuted. If someone violates a law, the prosecutor (district attorney) decides whether to pursue charges.

You as victim can be asked to give a statement at sentencing but how much weight your statement is given depends on the judge and sentencing guidelines.

It is too bad that the treatment you received by the court made you feel victimized again, but I don't see that you have any legal action to pursue based on what you have said. You can speak to a victim's-rights attorney if you feel differently.

Good luck.
Thank you for posting. I'm starting to see that vicims rights are written for show and they don't mean anything. Just because I read a statute that said it's my right, doesn't mean I"have" that right. It means I "can" be asked to give a statement and I "can" be treated with compassion. I really do appreciate everyone's time for posting and giving me answers. They weren't the answers I would have liked but answers none the less.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't know what your backstory is, but I CAN tell you that you need to be proactive in your life and not depend on other people to hold your hand, nor should you blame for the resulting outcome if they don't.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Part of what *may* have lead to your disappointing experience with the authorities is that they saw your previous history and figured the same would happen again. NO, I a NOT saying you deserved the way you were treated, but I think it's very easy to become jaded in such jobs. Unfortunately, a lot of DV victims roll over when it comes time to hold their abusers accountable.

I don't know what your backstory is, but I CAN tell you that you need to be proactive in your life and not depend on other people to hold your hand, nor should you blame for the resulting outcome if they don't.
I totally agree with you. I am grateful that I am able to learn this hard lesson. However, most DV victims aren't strong enough not to need their hand held. Some will always need their hand held. That's why there shouldn't be statutes and laws stateing we have certain rights if we don't. I am beginning to volunteer at the self help center. I am going to write our AG and other officials about what happened. The statutes need to be reworded to say that these"rights" " can" be given to you but only if we feel we aren't wasting our time helping you. You are right because I do blame them for not doing anything. I wouldn't be upset if the government wasn't putting on a fake persona. I was just going by what I read and didn't know about the extenuating circumstances to those rights. I am going to be proactive by holding other victims hands. It's just the right thing to do

If you become jaded take a vacation. Because DV victims are people so broken down that they aren't going to help themselves. They aren't going to leave the situation. It's hard for me to to put the reason for this into words. Hopefully as I heal I will be able to explain this better. We (DV victims) depend on the "good guys" to understand and help even when we don't want that help. Don't become jaded. We need you.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
How could that even possibly happen? I'm not lying.
It can easily happen when people let their emotions take over and makes them incapable of discerning what is fact versus what is opinion, or use terms like "fraud" or "liar" or "cheat." (Not saying you've used those terms, but just giving examples.)

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away I was putting make up on and listening to Pantera's Walk. I can do that now. Hind sight is always 2020. I wish I would have listened to the advice given to me as well. I wish a lot of things now. I didn't and I live with that. Now, however, I so want to listen.

I understand this because I was emotional and angry. It wasn't my opinion that I was being interrupted, or my opinion that the judge told me to hurry up before I even started. I can try to post the review on here or you can Google the district attorney office in Casper Wy. Emotions are bad when it comes this stuff. I know facts are my friends and my emotions are feelings, and feelings aren't tangible. Facts and transcripts, well they can't be disputed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">