• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walart / Sam's Club Exit Searches

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentulsa

Walmart

Walmart / Sam's Club policy is to search everyone. Try leaving a Sam's Club without someone checking your cart! There is no probable cause even considered, they do it as a standard policy.

A manger told me that they don't trust the cashiers that check people out and that it is a security method to keep cashiers and customers from forming a scam that bilks Walmart / SC's out of millions of dollars a year!

I mentioned that it might be prudent to hire honest employees instead of violating my rights to save their losses. He didn't get it, he's been Walmart trained.

What if each and everyone of us told Sam's Club /Walmart, NO, it's not acceptable. We will not let you search OUR property without a probable cause.

They can arrest and detain every customer leaving the store?
If they do, the lawsuits will stack up and they will quit.
They can ban everyone from their store. Good business move Walmart?
They can stop the illegal searches.

As YAG has correctly stated earlier, the other biggies are headed in the same direction.....unless we tell them NO.

Walmart, regardless of their size, is not above the law.

BelizeBreeze

kentulsa said:
Walmart / Sam's Club policy is to search everyone. Try leaving a Sam's Club without someone checking your cart! There is no probable cause even considered, they do it as a standard policy.

A manger told me that they don't trust the cashiers that check people out and that it is a security method to keep cashiers and customers from forming a scam that bilks Walmart / SC's out of millions of dollars a year!

I mentioned that it might be prudent to hire honest employees instead of violating my rights to save their losses. He didn't get it, he's been Walmart trained.

What if each and everyone of us told Sam's Club /Walmart, NO, it's not acceptable. We will not let you search OUR property without a probable cause.

They can arrest and detain every customer leaving the store?
If they do, the lawsuits will stack up and they will quit.
They can ban everyone from their store. Good business move Walmart?
They can stop the illegal searches.

As YAG has correctly stated earlier, the other biggies are headed in the same direction.....unless we tell them NO.

Walmart, regardless of their size, is not above the law.
And why do you feel it necessary to continue to whine like a three year-old?

justalayman

CdwJava said:
You can always choose to shop elsewhere.

And you have to beware of those feelings as those kinds of feeling can land you in jail if you're not careful.

- Carl

"Those feelings" can get you arrested. Hopefully you meant that those feelings could lead to actions by me that could land me in jail 'cuz last time I knew "those feelings" are still allowed by our grand old constitution.

But besides that I would have not fought them if they attempted to detain me (physically) and would have played the whole game. Knowing I had stolen nothing I didn't have anything to worry about.

BelizeBreeze

:rolleyes:
justalayman said:
"Those feelings" can get you arrested. Hopefully you meant that those feelings could lead to actions by me that could land me in jail 'cuz last time I knew "those feelings" are still allowed by our grand old constitution.

But besides that I would have not fought them if they attempted to detain me (physically) and would have played the whole game. Knowing I had stolen nothing I didn't have anything to worry about.
oh Brother!!!

Yet another one.

justalayman

BelizeBreeze said:
:rolleyes:
oh Brother!!!

Yet another one.

Come on now BB. Don't know which part of my response evoked the "yet another one" quote, hopefully not the first part. As for the second part....well we po' folks all need some excitement once in awhile.

Kane

People complaining about how they treat employees has floored me. Nobody HAS to work at Wal-Mart!
True. But if there are no other jobs, or no jobs they can get, what's the other option?

If they can get paid better elsewhere then go for it! Many fo the employees cannot GET those better paying jobs as they are either not qualified or the jobs are not there.
Food, shelter and clothing are powerful incentives. You might not HAVE to work there, but if the other option is a shopping cart and a cardboard box, your options are limited.

The way I see it is that I am a customer and I expect to be treated with a modicum of respect. I won't shop at places like Sam's club because I refuse to do business with anyone who will take my money and then accuse me of being a potential thief.

My self respect is worth a great deal to me. To those of you who say "so what" well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

stephenk

"I mentioned that it might be prudent to hire honest employees instead of violating my rights to save their losses."

You know how to do that 100% of the time? I thought not. When you develop a fool proof method of hiring "honest" employees, you can make millions instead of whining about a receipt check at the exit.

Kane,

Walmart does not set up a store where there are "no other jobs." If a person chooses to work at Walmart because they don't like what else is available is not Walmart's fault. A store clerk or cashier is a transition job while a person develops skills to work in a career sufficient to support their family. A clerk stocking toys should not expect to be paid $20/hour with full health benefits and a pension.

Are you also requiring mom and pop shops to pay wages to their clerks so they can support their families?

Kane

stephenk said:
If a person chooses to work at Walmart because they don't like what else is available is not Walmart's fault.
No, but the wages WalMart pays are WalMart's fault.

I've never worked there, so I don't know what it's like. However, if your choice WalMart or no job it's not much of a choice.

A store clerk or cashier is a transition job while a person develops skills to work in a career sufficient to support their family.
What sorts of skills do you develop working as a cashier at WalMart?

A clerk stocking toys should not expect to be paid $20/hour with full health benefits and a pension.
According to at least one website, cashiers at WalMart make $11,948/year (average). As far as health care or retirement, as far as I know, they don't get any of that.

Are you also requiring mom and pop shops to pay wages to their clerks so they can support their families?
I'm not requiring anyone to do anything. But WalMart and other businesses, should at least follow basic minimum employment rules, including paying their workers for the hours they actually worked. And according to some lawsuits, WalMart - at least - is not doing that. They should also allow their employees to unionize.

gawm

You know how to do that 100% of the time? I thought not. When you develop a fool proof method of hiring "honest" employees, you can make millions instead of whining about a receipt check at the exit.

**A** pay them a decent wage where it would not be worth losing you job over, that would work about 98% of the time :)

A clerk stocking toys should not expect to be paid $20/hour with full health benefits and a pension.

**A**before WalMart $16/hour with full health benefits and a pension was the norm for journeymen stockers. Now new hires will never see that wage no matter how long they put in :(

**A**if a mom and pop shop made billions of dollars off the backs of their workers I'm sure they would pay a living wage :p

but hey, lets forget this. we are just gonna piss off BB, him being from the same hometown as walmart and all. then because he does not agree with our opinion he will get Mary to send us emails tell us to cool it

i say if walmart can get away with it, more power to them :cool:

mycarlb

To the OP... take a shopping trip to New York City... go into any big department store or even K-Mart... in any burrough, and you will see that this is common practice in many stores... even in the grocery stores... and especially Sam's Club style stores you have to show your receipt and have the person at the exit door check off EVERY SINGLE purchase, hole punch your receipt, then you can leave the store...

What it sounds like to me, especially when you asked about cashier's mistakes...is that you were trying to get over with something, didn't want your bags looked over, and made a stink... most honest people just realize that they have to wait a couple minutes for the store employees to do their jobs and don't have a hissy fit about it...If you didn't do anything wrong, then why are you so mad???? after all, let them look right??? what have you got to hide?

It's Christmas season now, and most stores adopt this principal this time of year... get over yourself and shop through the internet if you can't handle it...

gawm

mycarlb said:
To the OP... take a shopping trip to New York City... go into any big department store or even K-Mart... in any burrough, and you will see that this is common practice in many stores... even in the grocery stores... and especially Sam's Club style stores you have to show your receipt and have the person at the exit door check off EVERY SINGLE purchase, hole punch your receipt, then you can leave the store...

What it sounds like to me, especially when you asked about cashier's mistakes...is that you were trying to get over with something, didn't want your bags looked over, and made a stink... most honest people just realize that they have to wait a couple minutes for the store employees to do their jobs and don't have a hissy fit about it...If you didn't do anything wrong, then why are you so mad???? after all, let them look right??? what have you got to hide?

It's Christmas season now, and most stores adopt this principal this time of year... get over yourself and shop through the internet if you can't handle it...
even though i don't shop walmart, i agree with this post. IF you really need someone to blame, write your congressman and ask for tougher laws on shoplifting. Because this practice is becoming more and more the norm

mycarlb

According to at least one website, cashiers at WalMart make $11,948/year (average). As far as health care or retirement, as far as I know, they don't get any of that.
I used to be an assistant store mgr at Wal-Mart... when I started as a sales associate I started @7.75/hr full time (35-40 hours per week) and after 6 months got ok benefits, 401K, term life, short/long term disability... etc... their benefits do suck in relation to the amount of money they rake in, don't get me wrong... that's why I quit, but the pay isn't too bad for a retail store... and the $7.75 was back when minimum wage was still 5.15. And they offer a heck of a yearly profit sharing bonus... between $600- 1500 for full time and $300-750 part time workers... so it isn't a sweat shop by any means...

I hate talking politics and such, but Wal-Mart isn't what it used to be or what the person who founded it wanted it to be... the rich get richer off the hard work of the employees... And I do feel sorry for the associates that are the reason wally world is so rich to begin with... but such is life in any aspect of business really...

Happy Holidays :D

mycarlb said:
To the OP... take a shopping trip to New York City... go into any big department store or even K-Mart... in any burrough, and you will see that this is common practice in many stores...
Ofcourse it would be common practice up there, they are used to having others tell them what to do and how to live.

most honest people just realize that they have to wait a couple minutes for the store employees to do their jobs and don't have a hissy fit about it...If you didn't do anything wrong, then why are you so mad???? after all, let them look right??? what have you got to hide?
Most honest people dont like being treated like potential criminals. I wont buckle down under that kind of pressure from the police or other authroities, why would I from some private business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">