• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are minors rights to their income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JacobsMom

As many different parents and kids as there are, that's how many different kinds of relationships exist. My mom always assumed that we would pick up "the right way" by watching her demonstrate proper etiquette, table manners, budgeting, keeping a home in working order, etc. She thought this because that's how she picked these skills up from HER mom. But both of us turned out to be little uncultured heathens and she only addressed her disappointment with the way that all went down when I was in my twenties.

You and your husband are doing just fine. You are playing the long game and your son can't see beyond his nose because he simply doesn't have the presence of mind and/or experience to know better. The learn by failure might still be the way to go, but you have to be prepared to not save him when he falls. I didn't catch exactly how old your son is (15 or 16, I would guess), but if he biffs his opportunity for a car, he'll have to work things out with friends and coworkers. Or if he gets the car but lapses on insurance or registration... he has to stop driving until that's fixed... and that's where you DON'T save him. Otherwise, that entitled behavior will just continue and he'll press harder and harder until you fold.

I can't wait til my youngest is a teenager... he's as wild and heathen-y as I was, times ten! I may wind up eating all my own words ;)
Thank you and we agree wholeheartedly. My son will be 17 in December. It's a tad scary knowing my youngest will be an adult in 16 months lol. He's got a lot of learning left to do, as do his parents lol!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">