• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the elements needed to prove a frivolous lawsuit case? Malicious prosecution,abuse of process,etc.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MioProton

Lastly, that the plaintiff lost does not necessarily mean that the plaintiff did not have legitimate allegations.
Plaintiff tried to say we were responsible for prior injuries she had via car accident and other medical conditions. Attorney tried to hide this by claiming misquoting and lying about HIPPA laws with selectively editing what it said to make it seem like the prior injuries had nothing to do with this slip and fall. Insurance company doctor saw though this scam. Eventually got records to prove these were prior injuries from car accident and other incidents from years prior unrelated to us in any way.

It's like someone has a broken arm but they decide to go to a water park and go in a crazy fast thrill rides with lots of twists and turns which breaks their arm even more. Could this person sue for the broken arm even know it was broken before they went to the water park because the force of the ride made the broken arm worse or is this negligent on the part of the customer?

If someone is prior injured, can they just find some random target store to fake a slip and fall and give them all the medical bills going forward for that injury?

Would you think a simple slip and fall from ground level traveling less then 1 MPH would result in a Band-Aid with some antiseptic or a bunch of outrageous medical procedures and cost?
No one witness any slip hazard, no one witness any fall, plaintiff just comes in the store , make an accusation, drives away and send us a demand letter for tons of $$$ for all these medical procedures unrelated to anything we did. No ambulance or any eye witness. Just a claim.
For all we know, the fall was made up too but even if it were not, FL law said we had to have known about the danger and been negligent and no one ever saw this danger. It had just rain and the claim was the plaintiff fells in a small puddle of water but claim there was something slippery in the water but not the water itself but rather some kind of mystery material.

No witness can confirm anything of this, just the plaintiff claim. By the way, they were not wearing normal shows but rather beach type saddles. which are a trip hazard to begin with.

Business and society would not be able to operate if anyone who can make a claim like this and get millions.

Blamed for rain? Blamed for natural things found on the road and pavement, blamed for prior injuries from a car accident? Attorney asking for disgruntled former employees to deposition who were not even there. Prolongs the case for years.
This attorney should be disbarred in my opinion. How can this possible be anything other than frivolous?

MioProton

There are attorneys who specifically handle attorney malpractice cases. You can consult with one of those. Search your area for “legal malpractice attorneys.”

You could find that a malpractice claim would be a struggle to support. Summary judgment is different than a dismissal of the suit. What reason did the judge provide for granting summary judgment? This should be an on-the-record statement by the judge.
Are malpractice claims usually against your own attorney for screwing up the case?

Judge said something like " Plaintiff has failed to provide evidence to support this material claim" then quoted the same Florida law I found before the lawsuit ever was filed saying that "injured person must prove that the business establishment had actual or constructive knowledge of the dangerous condition and should have taken action to remedy it."
Quoted a bunch of case law from over the years.

As for my take, plaintiff had prior injuries and tried to blame us for the rain on a normal road then give us all the medical bills from a prior car accident. Attorney tried to cover this up and misquote the HIPPA law to hide this material fact. In my opinion, this lawsuit should have never happen and certainly not been prolonged for years and involving the vast number of people who time was wasted for this.

Its summary judgment. Is that better or worse than dismissal?

MioProton

There is no legal malpractice action for the OP in this instance. Legal malpractice is a negligence claim by a client against his/her lawyer for failing to meet the minimum standards of practice in representing that client. The OP was not represented by that attorney; the attorney represented the opposing party. The OP might have some kind of claim to bring against the attorney (though the facts don't clearly indicate any to me), but malpractice wouldn't be one of them.
He took a case of a plaintiff who had been in a car accident had had tons of medical bills then tried to make us pay tons of money because he slipped and fell in a small puddle of water after a rain storm. Then covered up the car accident by misquoting HIPPA, literally cutting off the law midsentence to the judge where it talks about how it does not cover if they are material to a lawsuit. He asked for a list of former disgruntled employees to get them to misremember the incident and even dragged the CEO of other company into deposition simple because they had been there at some point in time years prior.

This seems to me like it was some to intimidate and harass. into a settlement. Dragging this for years and to cost tons of money and tortious interference with business relationships as he deposition customers and business associates. Many of the people had not been been there during that incident. He then started asking unrelated parties about unrelated times and unrelated locations on the property saying stuff like " did you ever see a leaf fall down from a tree that was not immediately picked up" and absolutely absurd things like that.

Did I mention the first lawyer refused to take this to court, just issued a demand letter then dropped the client after finding out about the prior car accident. I don't know how many lawyers refused this case before one was found who would actually take it. I know at least the initial attorney dropped this case.

What about due diligence? What about a code of ethics that lawyers are suppose to have as officers of the court? What about not intentionally misquoting the law or harassing people who have nothing to do with the incident or dragging the CEO of a company in to harass him during the process who was also not an witness to any of this? I don't get it.

I mean can I drag Elon Musk into court if I had an issue with a Tesla battery range? Can I drag Bill Gates into court if I get my windows crashed?

Last edited:

MioProton

The attorney he sees can tell him if there is a legal action available to pursue. Perhaps the attorney will find some “legal chicanery” where we are not seeing any.
Well, the plaintiff originally attorney and possible an untold number of subsequent attorney find legal chicanery in that they refused to bring this case to court. The first only offering a demand letter then dropping the case when the prior car accident injuries were found.

Doctors said no way these injuries came from a slip of fall in a small puddle. Judge in the most favorable light to plaintiff still rules against them.

Somewhat recent Florida law said directly we are not responsible unless we knew it was there and were extremely negligent.

Dragging people who have no knowledge of the incident and getting an list of disgruntled ex-employees?

Lying and misleading the judge on HIPPA law and quoting the law and cutting out the section that said its allowed under this circumstance.

Dragging the CEO of a company into a deposition to intimidated and harass who has no knowledge of the incident.

Asking customers if they ever saw a tree drop a leaf anywhere on the property at any time in a desperate grasping at straws.

Suing because of the rain is frivolous and I think you know it. If people could sue because of the rain and bring in prior injuries, then society as we know it would not exist because everyone would be closed down due to frivolous lawsuits.

Personal injury attorney are suppose to sue people like the medical staff who turned off Joan Rivers oxygen during a procedure not a property owner because of the rain and prior injuries.

Crooked ambulance chasing attorney should be held accountable! To the bar perhaps, to the FL supreme court or maybe in a frivolous lawsuit over his actions.

LdiJ

The only thing that I have to comment about is your idea that no one can be seriously hurt from a slip and fall. That is a ridiculous idea. People who are older break bones all of the time from slipping and falling. Younger people sometimes break bones from slipping and falling. I myself broke an arm last year from a slip and fall in my own home and that arm will never be the same. Therefore, acting as though a serious injury isn't possible is just ridiculous. That doesn't mean that the particular case against you did or didn't have any merit, it just means that you don't make yourself look good by acting as if it's never possible.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What about due diligence? What about a code of ethics that lawyers are suppose to have as officers of the court? What about not intentionally misquoting the law or harassing people who have nothing to do with the incident or dragging the CEO of a company in to harass him during the process who was also not an witness to any of this? I don't get it.
You may, as has been suggested before, make a complaint about the attorney with the Florida Bar, which is the body responsible for licensing, regulating, and disciplining lawyers. That doesn't get you any money, but if the Bar finds he violated the rules of professional practice it can punish him for it, up to disbarment from the practice of law.

If a plaintiff's claim is frivolous, you bring a motion in that case for the court to dismiss it for that reason and ask for any money sanctions then if you had to needlessly expend money because of the frivolous filing. The fact that the court dismissed it on summary judgment rather than because it was frivolous indicates the plaintiff's case, as stated in the pleadings, was not frivolous. The plaintiff lost because the judge determined that after reading the complaint and viewing all the all the available evidence in the light most favorable to the plaintiff it is clear to the judge that the plaintiff didn't have enough to prevail as a matter of law. That's different than the case being frivolous.

When the lawyer misstates the law, you tell the judge that, though in general the judge is going to find out about that anyway when the judge verifies what he/she was told by the parties/attorneys involved with the case.

Just because the plaintiff had prior injuries doesn't mean he's blocked from suing over new injuries sustained as a result of someone's negligence. It makes the case harder for the plaintiff to win because the plaintiff has to show that there were new injuries or that old injuries were aggravated as a result of the alleged negligence. It is not, however, impossible to do. With the right evidence it is possible to show that there are new injuries distinct from the old ones.

As far as dragging in people for depositions that you think aren't necessary for the case, the law allows pretty wide berth for the parties to discover relevant evidence favorable to their case. That can include things other than just eye witnesses accounts of the incident in dispute. Taking a deposition of a CEO of a small company is unlike taking a deposition of a CEO of a multi-billion dollar world wide enterprise with many thousands of employees. The former is much more likely to know everything that goes on in the business he or she runs than the latter. If you felt that the person being desposed could not possibly have knowlege of anything relevant to the case, you could have brought a motion with the court to object to that deposition. The person being deposed could have done that too.

Sometimes the lawyer will have a reason to think that the person has something relevant to provide and upon taking the deposition finds out there's not much useful from the testimony. That doesn't mean the lawyer violated any rule in taking the deposition. Lawyers in discovery and investigation of the case are going to look at anything they can think of to pursue that might be helpful to their case. Not everything they pursue yields something useful. But so long as the lawyer has a good faith belief that something relevant to the case may be uncovered the lawyer is not violating the rules.

If you want to see if there is any basis for suing the plaintiff's attorney consult a civil litigation attorney. But it may be that while the attorney's actions were aggressive in pursuing the case there wasn't any negligence or any intentional tort committed by the lawyer. So go into this with the understanding that while you feel strongly about what the attorney did, there may not be anything for you to sue the lawyer and win money damages. It sucks to get pulled into a lawsuit that ultimately fails. Spending time and money defending yourself is not fun. But our legal system allows a plaintiff to sue if he's got some basis for the suit, even if it ultimately turns out he/she doesn't have what it takes to win. Plaintiffs and their lawyers aren't punished by the law merely for bringing a case that turns out to be a loser.

MioProton

You can file a complaint against the attorney. Although this was previously provided in Post #4, here again is a link to the Florida Bar. Click on “Lawyer Complaints and Discipline.”

https://www.floridabar.org/public/acap/filing-a-complaint/
Yeah but its like the internal affairs for the police that are like " We investigated ourselves and found we did nothing wrong" Some attorney had almost 200 complains for stealing clients money. I think his name was Girardi .

I think with like FTC complains on companies that violate several rules may have thousands of complains over years with zero enforcement action.

I think there have even been cases where cops have gone to jail over killing someone yet they were still found innocent by the internal affairs during that process. Like its a whole scam process.

If you file a complaint against an attorney and the bar find him innocent. Then will that hurt your chances if you sue for frivolous lawsuit or would they possible do research into the matter and give you more good information to use during a frivolous lawsuit case?

If these complains are not taken seriously and just throw in the garbage, why waste the time filing them? I know California bar does not take complaint seriously but I don't know about the Florida bar.

Last edited:

MioProton

The only thing that I have to comment about is your idea that no one can be seriously hurt from a slip and fall. That is a ridiculous idea. People who are older break bones all of the time from slipping and falling. Younger people sometimes break bones from slipping and falling. I myself broke an arm last year from a slip and fall in my own home and that arm will never be the same. Therefore, acting as though a serious injury isn't possible is just ridiculous. That doesn't mean that the particular case against you did or didn't have any merit, it just means that you don't make yourself look good by acting as if it's never possible.
Can you describe how you fell? For example, were there stairs involved or did you like hit the corner of a table or something. Did you arm get caught on something as you were falling and twist it in a bad position? I have seen bad injuries when cops might decide to take an unsuspecting person or like body slam them on concreate with the road curb present.

Well, what if when you broke your arm, you decided to go to a subway and make the claim you fell and you want all their money? No eye witness, No cameras, just your claim. You failed to disclosed the prior injury and misquoted the law to hide it. When they found out after years, you claim it may have been broken but claim of a fall made it more broken and you want millions for damages. Then you tried to sue them for not just your arm but like every thing possible wrong with you for your entire life. Claiming PTSD, Coronavirus, bird flu, gunshot wound, snake bike, etc... So outrageous that doctor interview was saying this could not possible have been caused by this fall. There were some claims made that doctor was like " there is no way those injuries happen from the event you described" It was not just like a broken bone, it was like genetic disorders and car major accident type injuries.

I think this person was in their 20 and unemployed or a professional slip & fall con artist. I think they have done lawsuit for several people in different areas for the same injuries for years.

I guess the 2 issues are the possible lawsuit against the con-artist or the attorney who harassed people who had no knowledge of the event or even been to the property in many years and trying to waste the CEO's time and get list of disgruntle ex-employees. In many ways, it seems like the attorney was more dishonest then the client.

Do you think its worth filing a complaint with the state bar or is that a waste of time?

MioProton

You may, as has been suggested before, make a complaint about the attorney with the Florida Bar, which is the body responsible for licensing, regulating, and disciplining lawyers. That doesn't get you any money, but if the Bar finds he violated the rules of professional practice it can punish him for it, up to disbarment from the practice of law.

If a plaintiff's claim is frivolous, you bring a motion in that case for the court to dismiss it for that reason and ask for any money sanctions then if you had to needlessly expend money because of the frivolous filing. The fact that the court dismissed it on summary judgment rather than because it was frivolous indicates the plaintiff's case, as stated in the pleadings, was not frivolous. The plaintiff lost because the judge determined that after reading the complaint and viewing all the all the available evidence in the light most favorable to the plaintiff it is clear to the judge that the plaintiff didn't have enough to prevail as a matter of law. That's different than the case being frivolous.

When the lawyer misstates the law, you tell the judge that, though in general the judge is going to find out about that anyway when the judge verifies what he/she was told by the parties/attorneys involved with the case.

Just because the plaintiff had prior injuries doesn't mean he's blocked from suing over new injuries sustained as a result of someone's negligence. It makes the case harder for the plaintiff to win because the plaintiff has to show that there were new injuries or that old injuries were aggravated as a result of the alleged negligence. It is not, however, impossible to do. With the right evidence it is possible to show that there are new injuries distinct from the old ones.

As far as dragging in people for depositions that you think aren't necessary for the case, the law allows pretty wide berth for the parties to discover relevant evidence favorable to their case. That can include things other than just eye witnesses accounts of the incident in dispute. Taking a deposition of a CEO of a small company is unlike taking a deposition of a CEO of a multi-billion dollar world wide enterprise with many thousands of employees. The former is much more likely to know everything that goes on in the business he or she runs than the latter. If you felt that the person being desposed could not possibly have knowlege of anything relevant to the case, you could have brought a motion with the court to object to that deposition. The person being deposed could have done that too.

Sometimes the lawyer will have a reason to think that the person has something relevant to provide and upon taking the deposition finds out there's not much useful from the testimony. That doesn't mean the lawyer violated any rule in taking the deposition. Lawyers in discovery and investigation of the case are going to look at anything they can think of to pursue that might be helpful to their case. Not everything they pursue yields something useful. But so long as the lawyer has a good faith belief that something relevant to the case may be uncovered the lawyer is not violating the rules.

If you want to see if there is any basis for suing the plaintiff's attorney consult a civil litigation attorney. But it may be that while the attorney's actions were aggressive in pursuing the case there wasn't any negligence or any intentional tort committed by the lawyer. So go into this with the understanding that while you feel strongly about what the attorney did, there may not be anything for you to sue the lawyer and win money damages. It sucks to get pulled into a lawsuit that ultimately fails. Spending time and money defending yourself is not fun. But our legal system allows a plaintiff to sue if he's got some basis for the suit, even if it ultimately turns out he/she doesn't have what it takes to win. Plaintiffs and their lawyers aren't punished by the law merely for bringing a case that turns out to be a loser.
To give you a little background. Slip and falls use to be a treasure trove for personal injuries attorneys in Florida so much so that the law was changed around the 2013 area to address these and put a stop to the frivolous lawsuits.

A plaintiff could not longer just claim they got hurt in a slip and fall and get a payday but they NOW had to provide the defendant knew about a very serious danger and was reliance in not fixing it.

This attorney acted like this 2013 law did not exist and was acting like it was the late 90's and 2000 where this kind of thing was ramped.

The client was not wearing proper shoes and fell in some water from the rain. If the attorney used the 2013 change in the law, there is no way a lawsuit should have been brought.

What about hiding the prior injuries by misquoting HIPPA law? How is that not a violation of lawyer ethics? When he quoted the HIPPA law, he literally stopped right before it said that we could get this information for these types of lawsuits. I know lawyers have gotten in trouble when they used CHAT GPT to write a lawsuit and its misquoting law and cases. How about the coverup of car accident and medical records by intentionally misquoting HIPPA law?

I think I found that normally 10 depositions are allowed for a lawsuit unless you have special permission. I think I counted like 15 deposition this guy did and it was also dragging the CEO of what I could consider a decent sized company with many properties in the millions across the country over a property that he had only visited a single time years prior so he could be asked about what he knows about rain and water being slippery and if trees have leaves that fall on the ground in the wind and things of this nature.

Look, its one thing if you are taking depositions and getting more and more information each time and sort of narrowing down the new information you are finding. This attorney wasted everyone time for years and never got anything from anyone.

He completely ignored the Florida Revised Statutes 768.0755
He completely and intentionally misquoted the HIPPA law to cutout the part of the law that said we can get those records for this type of case.
He dispositioned more people then you are allowed to. Rule 30(a)(2)(A)(i) limits the number of depositions to 10 “by the plaintiffs, or by the defendants, or by the third-party defendants.”
He dispositioned people with no knowledge of the event and even some people who did not even remember the property.

The Florida revised statute said that WE had to be aware of the problem. We are the owner( not some random person)
Once he was aware that we had no knowledge of this, then we should have been out of the lawsuit not dragged in for years. This was done for the sole reason of harassment using the legal process as a weapon.

Judge seem to give them every benefit of every doubt all along the way and dragged this out for years but in the end the summary said we were right on every point in the law and they had no case. I am told that its very rare for a judge to grant legal fees in any circumstance unless they are really upset with one side. I think if he was directly called out on what he did and made to defend himself, it might have been a different story.

Let me ask you, do you think a complaint to the bar may have they research and uncover information that could later be used for a frivolous lawsuit case against the attorney or is this like the internal affairs for cops who always aways find the cop innocent no matter how good or bad the evidence is? Thanks.

Last edited:

MioProton

In regards to this article which said "Under Florida law, the determination of whether an action is frivolous is made by a judge. An action is frivolous only if a judge finds that at the time the lawsuit was filed the claim was not supported by the material facts necessary to bring a claim, or was not supported by the application of then-existing law. "

Does the Judge have to literally use the word "frivolous" when making the ruling or if he throws out the case because the claim was not supported by the material facts or application of the existing law" de facto make the case frivolous?

LdiJ

In regards to this article which said "Under Florida law, the determination of whether an action is frivolous is made by a judge. An action is frivolous only if a judge finds that at the time the lawsuit was filed the claim was not supported by the material facts necessary to bring a claim, or was not supported by the application of then-existing law. "

Does the Judge have to literally use the word "frivolous" when making the ruling or if he throws out the case because the claim was not supported by the material facts or application of the existing law" de facto make the case frivolous?
The judge has to literally call it frivolous. Just because someone loses a case does not make it a frivolous suit.

quincy

No.

MioProton

The judge has to literally call it frivolous. Just because someone loses a case does not make it a frivolous suit.
So you can't file a new case for frivolous lawsuit unless the old judge said it was frivolous? Even with new evidence that it there was fraud committed?

In cases where people have sued the police for brutality or unlawful detainment or other types of misconduct.

Step # 1 First they must win the case against them
Step # 2 They can bring a case against the local government for the misconduct.

The only requirement for step # 2 is that they are found not guilty in Step # 1. The initial judge does not have to say to declare the police guilty of violating someone's rights at that moment in time.

Lawsuit was dismissed because it had no merit and lacking a valid legal basis. He treated it as a frivolous lawsuit even know he did not utter the words frivolous.

Where does it say in Florida law that the original judge must proclaim the case frivolous at the time? Can anyone quote me the law that said this?

LdiJ

So you can't file a new case for frivolous lawsuit unless the old judge said it was frivolous? Even with new evidence that it there was fraud committed?

In cases where people have sued the police for brutality or unlawful detainment or other types of misconduct.

Step # 1 First they must win the case against them
Step # 2 They can bring a case against the local government for the misconduct.

The only requirement for step # 2 is that they are found not guilty in Step # 1. The initial judge does not have to say to declare the police guilty of violating someone's rights at that moment in time.

Lawsuit was dismissed because it had no merit and lacking a valid legal basis. He treated it as a frivolous lawsuit even know he did not utter the words frivolous.

Where does it say in Florida law that the original judge must proclaim the case frivolous at the time? Can anyone quote me the law that said this?
You didn't ask if the original judge had to find a suit frivolous in advance. You asked if a judge had to find the suit frivolous. You can certainly file a motion asking the judge to find the case frivolous and to order sanctions or compensation. However, it is still the judge's decision. There is no default position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">