• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What steps can I take

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wooddirk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

This weekend is my weekend for having my son as decided by court.
My ex wife will not let me have him.
What steps can I take as we have made plans for the weekend.

sipa

A senior will be along shortly to answer you but I would venture to say file for contempt if the court documents state it is your weekend.

Is this out of charecter for her to suddenly deny you your visitation?

Isis1

when is your court ordered pick up time? is there a mutual exchange spot?

janM

If she has just told you over the phone or email that she is denying your time, that's not enough to prove contempt. You need to physically go to get him and have her deny you then. Take a witness with you. Purchase something and get a receipt to show you were there. Take your court order with you. If she won't release the child, have an officer make a report to that effect. Subpeona the officer to testify.

Next time, if she gives you more warning that she is denying, there is an "intent to exercise visitation" letter at www.deltabravo.net you can edit and send to her, in which you quote your court order and pursuade her to cooperate.

LdiJ

Why is she trying to deny you the time? Most likely the reason why isn't relevant, but in some rare circumstances it could be.

wooddirk

A senior will be along shortly to answer you but I would venture to say file for contempt if the court documents state it is your weekend.

Is this out of charecter for her to suddenly deny you your visitation?
She is supposed to bring the child to my house and I am supposed to bring the child back to her house.
We are doing this now for 2 years but there is alway's trouble.Most the time treads,yelling etc etc and this is alway's in presence of my son.
Would there be a way I could get a mediator ( her mother ) appointed as a drop off point to collect my son from there? If so what do I need to do to arrange this.

Isis1

you could definitely request the court for a third party to do the transportation. keep in mind, this third party has to be in this for the long haul.

let mom know you will be exercising your visitation. if mom does not show up at your house at the appointed time, go to mom's house. if she is not there, file a police report. if she is there and STILL refuses the children, file a police report. the police aren't required by law to force mom to release the children, but they can be convincing to the other party sometimes. get a police report, don't get talked out of getting one.

as for this weekend, there is nothing you can do to make sure the children are with you. if mom doesn't comply, file for contempt. do NOT let this behavior slide.

LdiJ

She is supposed to bring the child to my house and I am supposed to bring the child back to her house.We are doing this now for 2 years but there is alway's trouble.Most the time treads,yelling etc etc and this is alway's in presence of my son.
Would there be a way I could get a mediator ( her mother ) appointed as a drop off point to collect my son from there? If so what do I need to do to arrange this.
That is an incredible stupid arrangement. It should be the other way around.

Is there a particular reason why it was arranged that way?

Also, it really would be helpful if you answered the question I asked you.

sipa

Yes there is Sipa...every time when it is my weekend there is something else to complain about.
This time it is that I have a suspended drivers license and I am not even aware of that.
Look LDJ there is your answer!

Sounds like this has been going on forever.

wooddirk

That is an incredible stupid arrangement. It should be the other way around.

Is there a particular reason why it was arranged that way?

Also, it really would be helpful if you answered the question I asked you.
I hope I answered the question.

The arrangement was made on request of my wife and I agreed to it 2 years ago.
Trouble started when I started a new relationship one year ago.

wooddirk

you could definitely request the court for a third party to do the transportation. keep in mind, this third party has to be in this for the long haul.

let mom know you will be exercising your visitation. if mom does not show up at your house at the appointed time, go to mom's house. if she is not there, file a police report. if she is there and STILL refuses the children, file a police report. the police aren't required by law to force mom to release the children, but they can be convincing to the other party sometimes. get a police report, don't get talked out of getting one.

as for this weekend, there is nothing you can do to make sure the children are with you. if mom doesn't comply, file for contempt. do NOT let this behavior slide.
To file for contempt..do I need to go to the county were the original child custody has been awarded or can I go to my current county court house?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">