• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You're right - I didn't include the "regular" parenting time in the summer/winter splits. My bad. That's why it would be helpful to get an idea of what the general length of the respective breaks are.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How?
52 days Tuesday is most like 40 - summer
78 days alternae week most likely is 60 -summer
summer/winter split is like 45

Please let me know if my calculation is incorrect
Thanks
You forgot holidays being considered. And the midweek you will have during her time. Are you counting days or overnights?

LdiJ

How?
52 days Tuesday is most like 40 - summer
78 days alternae week most likely is 60 -summer
summer/winter split is like 45

Please let me know if my calculation is incorrect
Thanks
Lets say that summer is 10 weeks long so the rest of the year is 42 weeks.

You get 42 Tuesdays.
You get 21 3 day weekends = 63
You get 5 full summer weeks = 35
You get 7 days at Christmas.

42+63+35+7 = 147

every other year will get you an additional 9 days when its your turn for Spring break, that gets you at 154 days every other year.

Judges tend to side with the GAL if what the GAL is proposing is normal. What your GAL is recommending is a bit better than normal due to three day weekends instead of 2 day weekends.

I still think that it would be better for your children to be more creative, but obviously you do not agree and others here do not agree as well.

Lookforward

My STBX has decided to go to Pre-trial. I am wondering what happens in Pre-trial.
Bit of a background the GAL has come with a 40/60 split he later suggested 45/55 split now OC wants to take this to Pre trial.

Just trying to understand what happens during a pre trial. Will this come to a conclusion?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Just trying to understand what happens during a pre trial. Will this come to a conclusion?
Everything that occurs in the case prior to trial is "pre trial". That can include a lot of different things, so saying the opposing counsel wants to go to pre trial doesn't really tell me much. I can guess that you mean a pre trial conference or hearing, but that still doesn't narrow it down much because hearings and conferences may be held for a variety of purposes. The courts order for the pre-trial hearing or conference would specify what the purpose of it is and any motion filed by the attorneys in the case for a hearing or conference would spell out what kind of hearing or conference they want. So have you seen any motion by opposing counsel for a conference or hearing? If so what does it ask for?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Pre-trial probably gives you an opportunity to reach an agreement before the judge makes it for you.
That's only one possibility - a pre trial settlement conference. But it could also be a number of other things and we simply don't have enough here to put odds on which one the opposing counsel has in mind.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What happens during pre trial is a butt load of discovery, as both sides prepare for trial.

It means a lot of billable hours for each party.

Focus on your priorities to help contain costs. The kids are a priority. Quibbling over the division of marital assets is less of a priority; compromise when the legal quibbling will cost more than you can get by settling. Documenting clearly separate assets is a worthy doing, as showing that the STBX is trying to lay claim to things that are not hers hurts her credibility. However, even if there isn't a last minute settlement and things go to trial, most of what is produced in discovery isn't used.

Lookforward

That's only one possibility - a pre trial settlement conference. But it could also be a number of other things and we simply don't have enough here to put odds on which one the opposing counsel has in mind.
Hello Taxing, GAL in our case came with a 40/60 split for parenting time. Then he suggested 45/55 and i am not sure why OC is going for a pre trail? I think maybe perhaps to come up with a parenting time
What happens during pre trial is a butt load of discovery, as both sides prepare for trial.

It means a lot of billable hours for each party.

Focus on your priorities to help contain costs. The kids are a priority. Quibbling over the division of marital assets is less of a priority; compromise when the legal quibbling will cost more than you can get by settling. Documenting clearly separate assets is a worthy doing, as showing that the STBX is trying to lay claim to things that are not hers hurts her credibility. However, even if there isn't a last minute settlement and things go to trial, most of what is produced in discovery isn't used.
Red its only about the kids and not the property division. I am sure we will agree on the property division. I won't like it but there are clear rules so that won't be that difficult .

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am sure we will agree on the property division.
Until the ink is dry on a decree, be sure of nothing.

You may not go to trial, but most of the cost of going to trial is the "pretrial" preparations and response to discovery.

Just because there are "clear rules" doesn't mean that the rules are clearly understood by both parties. You are dealing with a stubborn person, who believes the world should be as she wants it to be. That's expensive.

Lookforward

Until the ink is dry on a decree, be sure of nothing.

You may not go to trial, but most of the cost of going to trial is the "pretrial" preparations and response to discovery.

Just because there are "clear rules" doesn't mean that the rules are clearly understood by both parties. You are dealing with a stubborn person, who believes the world should be as she wants it to be. That's expensive.
I just want to make sure to do the right thing whatever it is. My kids will get older one day and question every thing, i wish she would understand but unfortunately no.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I just want to make sure to do the right thing whatever it is. My kids will get older one day and question every thing, i wish she would understand but unfortunately no.
Aaaand.... when they do question things, you will make sure to not badmouth Mom, right... ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">