• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lookforward

Just ranting,
This entire process has been so difficult as i am sure it was for each and every one of you

Yesterday i went out with my spouse and kids for dinner and ice cream. My kids were so happy, they were acting differently, they seemed so confident so secure, I was putting my kids to sleep when my daughter whispered in my ear that i am the best dad in the whole wide world :)

She has said that before on multiple occasions to both mom and dad but I'm wondering if she said it because both mom and dad went out and behaved as a unit instead of just not talking to each other.

It would have been so simple if we didnt had kids. Usually, people are selfish when it comes to themselves but when you have kids things change
I feel for my wife as well, she's acting as if everything is ok but I know deep down inside she's scared of what will happen to the kids as well.

I wonder why two people can't get along, when, in a relationship, there has been no alcohol, drugs, infidelity, or abuse of any kind. In fact i think the most we ever said to each other was that you are a shameless person. I am not proud of what i said but i wonder sometimes why we are going through this...

Lookforward

@Ohiogal My lawyer feels the reason 45/55 split is because the GAL wasn't convinced that i was the primary care giver for the kids.
I am talking to the GAL on friday.
Any advice?
Anything i should highlight to him?

Thank You

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
@Ohiogal My lawyer feels the reason 45/55 split is because the GAL wasn't convinced that i was the primary care giver for the kids.
I am talking to the GAL on friday.
Any advice?
Anything i should highlight to him?

Thank You
explain him the day to day schedule of the children. Explain to him your children's schooling and their friends and favorite tv and such.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Usually, people are selfish when it comes to themselves but when you have kids things change
Actually, part of the problem is that sometimes one of the parents don't accept that "things change".

Some people get a little resentful that their partner is prioritizing the needs of the child(ren); some people cannot accept that their partner's attentions are no longer focused exclusively on them.

Lookforward

Today i had a chance to talk to the GAL and man this guy is all over the place. He told me that my parenting time is as follows
1 Day Tuesday 52 days
3 x26 days an alternative week
Summer/Winter split.

when i asked him why the difference he said because of the age of the children they are 5 and7.

He furthermore told me that i am a better dad than 90% of the mom and dad that walk in for parenting time.

From the day above it seems like 145 days? When i asked him about his 165 days suggestion that he made he said thats dependent on mom agreeing it, well of course she will not agree upon it. She initially wanted to give me 48 days in an entire year.

I am thinking about taking it to the court. Any advice?

Thanks

LdiJ

Today i had a chance to talk to the GAL and man this guy is all over the place. He told me that my parenting time is as follows
1 Day Tuesday 52 days
3 x26 days an alternative week
Summer/Winter split.

when i asked him why the difference he said because of the age of the children they are 5 and7.

He furthermore told me that i am a better dad than 90% of the mom and dad that walk in for parenting time.

From the day above it seems like 145 days? When i asked him about his 165 days suggestion that he made he said thats dependent on mom agreeing it, well of course she will not agree upon it. She initially wanted to give me 48 days in an entire year.

I am thinking about taking it to the court. Any advice?

Thanks
I can't understand what you have described at all. I think I get it that you get every Tuesday, but beyond that I don't.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I can't understand what you have described at all. I think I get it that you get every Tuesday, but beyond that I don't.
Every Tuesday = 52 days/year.
EOW three days - 3*26 = 78 days/year
Some sort of split in Summer & Winter.

52 + 78 = 130 days/year, plus whatever comes during the unspecified "split"...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes. Consult a family law attorney in your area to find out how likely it is that you'd get the extra 20 days and what it will cost you to try.
That. (Although he already has an atty.)

And stealth's advice in post #102:

Other ways to increase your time... Offer to keep the kids overnight on one of her Friday/Saturday nights to "give her a break" a chance for an evening out, etc. Offer to keep the kids overnight at the end of your time and drop them off at school in the morning. Pick them up the evening before your time to save her needing to take them to school. Always offer as a way of helping her out. After building a pattern of the extra overnights (yes, you're playing a long game here), you can petition to adjust the time split based on status quo.
I'd say he should draw a line in the sand with the latest proposal from the GAL. Say, "Sure, I'll go with that." And put it in writing, including the detail that this is a compromise on Dad's part. Because I'm still willing to bet that Mom will reject this.

Lookforward

Yes sorry the parenting time is as follows

Tuesday 52 days
78 days alternate weekends
Summer/winter split
Spring alternate every year 5 days

just really bumed out now :(

LdiJ

Yes sorry the parenting time is as follows

Tuesday 52 days
78 days alternate weekends
Summer/winter split
Spring alternate every year 5 days

just really bumed out now :(
Are you saying that you get 1/2 of the summer and 1/2 of winter break? If so, how long is winter break and how long is summer in your school district? You might already be at something much more than 145 days if you get half of summer and half of winter break.

Lookforward

Winter Break: The parties shall equally divide the Minor Children’s
winter/Christmas break annually, excluding the days that are set forth herein as part
of the parties’ holiday, or special day parenting schedule (meaning the days off
school, minus the allocated winter break holidays in the grid above). These days shall
be divided by mutual agreement. In the event the parties cannot agree upon the equal
division of this timeframe, then the parties shall determine the half-point and
exchange at 5:00 p.m. on that day, with DAD having the first half of
Winter Break in even-numbered years and MOM having the Child for the second
half of Winter Break, taking into consideration the holidays awarded in the grid
above. In odd-numbered years, MOM shall have the Child for the first half of
Winter Break and DAD shall have the Child in the second half of Winter
Break, taking into consideration the holidays awarded in the grid above.

Summer Break:
Each party shall alternate weekly parenting time in the summer from Friday at 5:00
p.m. until the following Friday at 5:00 p.m. The alternating week rotation will begin
on the first Friday following the last day of school (or that day if Friday is the last day
of school), and will end on the last Friday before school resumes (regular schedule
resumes at 5:00 p.m. on that Friday), at which time the regular school year parenting
time, as set forth in Paragraph A of this Article, commences. In even-numbered
years, DAD shall have the first week of summer break. In odd-numbered
years, MOM shall have the first week of summer break. For the parent who does
not have a full week of parenting time, that parent shall have a Wednesday dinner
visit from 4:00 to 7:30 p.m.

Lookforward

How?
52 days Tuesday is most like 40 - summer
78 days alternae week most likely is 60 -summer
summer/winter split is like 45

Please let me know if my calculation is incorrect
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">