• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents rights ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deseree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
what rights do the grandparents have when the son is deployed and daughter in law refuses any communication with the grandchild

Proserpina

what rights do the grandparents have when the son is deployed and daughter in law refuses any communication with the grandchild
None whatsoever.

Grandparents do not have inherent rights in any state.

LdiJ

I agree with the previous response you received. However, WHY does your daughter in law refuse to allow any communication?

deseree

she is refusing visitation because my husband and I made a comment that
she didnt have a clean house and the grandchild was eating nothing but junk food no schedule what so ever and she got mad at us and this is her revenge

Antigone*

she didnt have a clean house and the grandchild was eating nothing but junk food no schedule what so ever and she got mad at us and this is her revenge
Well that was smart now, wasn't it. You should have practiced the fine art of MYOB.

Proserpina

Which she's entitled to do.

Sorry, but if you want to see your grandchild you need to make nicey with Mom.

(Frankly you are interfering with the way she's raising HER child)

LdiJ

How did you expect her to react to that? I agree that you should have practiced the fine art of minding your own business.

If you want to see your grandchild before your son returns from deployment, then you are going to have to sincerely apologize to your daughter in law, and convince her that you actually mean it.

you guys KNOW im jumping in this one....

clean by whose standards? if her biggest sin is some shoes in the living room and a dish or even a few in the sink, i do not think that qualifies as a "dirty house"...there is no such thing as a 24/7 clean household when you have children, there is an obvious difference between unsanitary conditions and what i stated above. are you saying that the child is being kept in unsafe, unhealthy, unsanitary conditions?

and specify "junk food"......what do you mean by junk food, are they eating ding dongs , ho ho's and twinkies 24/7? are you also saying the child is being fed improperly or not at all and their health is in danger?

and what schedule are you referencing? how old is this child that the child needs a "schedule"? yes a school age child, pre-school and up should have a schedule for bedtime, homework etc....but a toddler or child not in pre-school....doubful...

so what you did was piss off your daughter in law, insult her and wonder why she doesnt want you around? also sounds like you are being very petty and pointing out things to be spiteful and are inconsequential. I say this based on your statement that is what it would APPEAR to be, you being a nitpicky over controlling grandparent who thinks they have a right to their grandchildren....

FYI....not only do you run the risk of permanently ruing your relationship with your daughter in law, imagine how happy your SON would be to find out his own mother is suing him for visitation of his child....oh wait thats right you probably didnt realize that YOU HAVE TO SUE BOTH PARENTS FOR VISITATION NOT JUST ONE!!!

I should know b/c i just went thru the same issue, my ex is deployed and nothing can be done while he is on active duty, let me tell you how ANGRY AND VIOLATED HE FELT when he found out my own mother tried to do the same thing....great job grandma....i suggest you back off and play nice nice, just b/c he's your son you think he will agree to you treating his wife like this???

Last edited:

Antigone*

you guys KNOW im jumping in this one....

clean by whose standards? if her biggest sin is some shoes in the living room and a dish or even a few in the sink, i do not think that qualifies as a "dirty house"...there is no such thing as a 24/7 clean household when you have children, there is an obvious difference between unsanitary conditions and what i stated above. are you saying that the child is being kept in unsafe, unhealthy, unsanitary conditions?

and specify "junk food"......what do you mean by junk food, are they eating ding dongs , ho ho's and twinkies 24/7? are you also saying the child is being fed improperly or not at all and their health is in danger?

and what schedule are you referencing? how old is this child that the child needs a "schedule"? yes a school age child, pre-school and up should have a schedule for bedtime, homework etc....but a toddler or child not in pre-school....doubful...

so what you did was piss off your daughter in law, insult her and wonder why she doesnt want you around? also sounds like you are being very petty and pointing out things to be spiteful and inconsequential. I say this based on your statement that is what it would APPEAR to be....
take a deep breath.... hold it.... now exhale s-l-o-w-l-y. I think they get the hint now:cool:

frylover

And you thought being so nasty and critical toward the mother of your grandchild and the person who controls whether or not you see said grandchild was a good idea because.....????

Suck it up, tell mom you are sorry for being a nosy, overbearing control freak and MAYBE she'll relent.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I'm actually hoping this is Mom posting to see if Grandma can bully her into visitation that she (Mom) doesn't want...

frylover

I have very little doubt that if I ever tried to cut contact with my MIL she would threaten to sue for "her rights". Because she TRULY with all her heart believes that she is "entitled" in some way just because she is grandma. I actually heard her tell my BIL, when he told her to stay out of a situation involving his kids, "Yes, I DO have a right, they are MY blood too!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">