• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Controlling neighbor/duelling surveillance cameras

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MojoBuc2

Trust me when I say it won't work, it's not an excuse.
When you have 2 elderly women (92 and aprx 80) one in a car the other walking her dog, in front of my yard but near hers, talking and she comes out and with plenty of room to back out(not my words but another i was talking to) and decides to blow the horn for 10 seconds until they moved, then to have the 92 year old walking toward me with tears in her eyes and saying, "why must she always be so mean and malicious".

it just won't work. but yes you may be right that i am in a bit of a get even mode as i have had enough also

I found a lawyer and emailed my problem to see if i can get something done.

You have been given thoughtful and well meaning advice. It seems that you are uninterested in following it, or have an excuse why it won't work.

I agree with the comments stating that you have also acted poorly in this matter, and have allowed the situation to aggravate you to the point where you want to "get even" rather than resolve the problem.

You have legal rights; exercise them. If you have no legal right to expect certain things; forget about them.

MojoBuc2

:confused:

What are the ages of the people involved?

The impression was it is young families.
the 'problem neighbors in the mid to late 30's.
us, early 40's
the 92 year old is a back neighbor and the 80 year old lives one street
over. I do work for both of the elderly women around their homes as they
are alone and we, my wife and I, mostly wife, always talk to the 92 year old as she walks her dog 3 times a day.

GotSmart

My mother would have removed her head for honking at her in such a fashion. :cool:

This is America. Some people were raised by wolves, but still have the right to live in civilization. If Grandma gets honked at one more time, She should beat the car with an umbrella. Old people can get away with things that others cannot.

Let us know what the lawyer says, as well as the code enforcement.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Found this piece when researching this issue with the camera in the back yard:

I'd first ask her to remove it before getting all the attorneys involved and maybe ask he how she would feel the other way around. If she doesn't, write a certified letter that if she does not you will seek all available legal remedies under the law and ask the court to order attorney's fees. Remember you are neighbors and don't want to end up in a long term fight.
Generally, you can video tape any area that is visible to the public, but you cannot tape the interior of someone's home. If your neighbor can see you inside your home then the camera needs to be moved. As suggested, you should appeal to your neighbor to move the camera, but if she refuses to do so you should contact an attorney for further guidance.
A camera that is aimed at YOUR backyard that goes over your PRIVACY fence is excessive.

Send the CRRR to them asking them to remove the camera. That way, it is documented that you asked NICELY to remove it.

MojoBuc2

So, apparently, it's NOT against the law in flori-duh to have your surveillance cameras 10-14' or more in the air on a post above a 6' PRIVACY fence and able to see into a room of your neighbors home. Nor is it against county code, BUT I cannot go more then 2 more feet on my fence to attempt to block it with any kind of trellis. :confused:

Guess most normal people don't do this, so they never had a law...
hope there is one soon or when this gets out, there will be all kinds of pervs with cameras up. Stock tip.

dlw99

Are there any codes concerning "temporary structures"?

Could you construct bamboo pole fencing with canvas over the height limit of a regular fence?

I saw one the other day. We have pretty strict building codes in my town, but apparently this type of "spite fence" is legal.

JustAPal00

thank you for the heads up, we don't really use it much anymore anyway, mostly just to lounge on at night and look at the stars.
But we are, some old friends and myself, we are planning a jump party maybe this weekend, just to..... have some fun. As far as their camera, it is tempting to just moon them but I know it can back fire. I've stayed good, no matter how hard it is. 25,20 even 15 years ago... one of us would have been in jail the other hospital, thankfully, I'm not that guy anymore, life is too short and precious.
How much you use it isn't really the issue. If it's not surrounded by a fence, it may be an issue for your insurance carrier. It's called an "attractive nuisance". Some will allow those safety nets, but others require a 4' fence with a self closing and locking gate. I would find out before it's too late. If your neighbor finds out who your insurance co is, they may call and rat you out!

JustAPal00

Either ignore them, or escelate the battle. There are all kinds of products you can buy or build that will be very annoying. There are devices that emit high frequency sounds that will cause nausea or headaches. Some that emit odors. Just figure out what you want to use and take a vacation leaving them on behind you. I had a neighbor like that once. I won the battle!

A great barrier plant is bamboo. Make sure to dig a 18" deep ditch on your side of it and put in a plastic barrier to keep it from spreading into your yard. It will grow like a weed and become an inpenetrable barrier.

dlw99

To be clear, I was only recommending the bamboo poles as part of a temporary structure, and in no way meant to give anyone the idea of planting bamboo.

The neighbor's act of pointing a video camera at the window of your house is illegal, but taking the matter to court will escalate the hostilities just as much as an attempt to block the camera.

Of course you can choose to ignore them. I did that under similar circumstances and I ended up on Youtube in my morning robe with my coffee, courtesy of my nutcase neighbors.

Everything comes down to whether or not your neighbors can ultimately be reasoned with. You could try professional mediation, for example.

In my case that didn't work, but when the matter ultimately went to court I was able to demonstrate that at least I initiated the effort to solve the problem.

dlw99

hmmmm. In my case, I'm afraid only incarceration or death will "extinct" the behavior.

Telling the guy to plant bamboo might result in the neighbor splashing 20 gallons of Round Up over the fence.

Best to sit back and document the aggressive/harassing behavior(s) until you have a big stack of police reports, photos, videos, etc.. to go to court with.

OP, there is no reason to speak to, or even make eye contact with your neighbors.

Keep documenting and calling the police if you feel threatened.

JustAPal00

hmmmm. In my case, I'm afraid only incarceration or death will "extinct" the behavior.

Telling the guy to plant bamboo might result in the neighbor splashing 20 gallons of Round Up over the fence.

Best to sit back and document the aggressive/harassing behavior(s) until you have a big stack of police reports, photos, videos, etc.. to go to court with.

OP, there is no reason to speak to, or even make eye contact with your neighbors.

Keep documenting and calling the police if you feel threatened.
When you extinct a behavior, you completely ignore it. Take down your own cameras, don't give them the satisfaction of letting them know you're concerned. Ignore them completely unless they speak to you civily. Then speak civily back. In time they will tire of their little games. It works great with kids. It may take a while, but ask any behavior analyst, and they will tell you it works.

Roundup won't kill bamboo once it gets big! They probably won't even notice it until it's too late.

dlw99

You can't ignore the police when they come to your door with some wholly fabricated story from your neighbors.

Once these Hatfield & McCoy messes go beyond a certain point, civility does not return to the hood.

A lot depends on the nature of the dispute(s).

In my case the neighbors were trying to regain their credibility by destroying mine. For example, they let the air out of their own tires, called the cops, and even got witnesses to say they saw me SLASHING their tires. If not for cameras proving I could not have done it, I'd have been charged.

I would never, ever advise anyone to take their cameras down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">