• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Controlling neighbor/duelling surveillance cameras

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GotSmart

I got the impression he meant 6 inches, not feet.

After rereading it, we were both wrong. The camera is at 10ft 6, and the fence is 6 ft. In that case it calls for trees. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I got the impression he meant 6 inches, not feet.

After rereading it, we were both wrong. The camera is at 10ft 6, and the fence is 6 ft. In that case it calls for trees. ;)
I wasn't wrong. He stated that he had a 6' (6 foot) privacy fence and the camera was 4-6' (4-6 feet) above that. I was just responding to your post stating the OP should raise the fence 8" (8 inches)

MojoBuc2

Alex, I understand your point, but some other details: these people are a few years younger then I, they have a little girl one year younger then my girl, they also have a basketball hoop, close to our property line where there ball used to roll into our games of football, they also play kickball and ride their "Green maching" all over the street day and night(mostly the husband and his frineds), he also works on peoples cars, including doing body work and painting in the garage, which is an EPA violation. We never said a thing, to this point. So you see it has nothing to do with the kids noise, but IMO, it has everything to do with the neighborhood kids playing here, and she hates it cause she will not allow her daughter to particapate by her own choice.
As for the other neighbors, the elder woman on the left, LOVES the kids playing in her yard as she enjoys their laughter. As she is a widow, I take care of her property for her allowing the kids to play.

The guy across the street, near 50-55 years old, played with us a few times, and recently bought his own basketball hoop. We also talked about how he wished he would have spent more time with his kids as I do, instead of worrying about making money, which he does, and I make enough where i pay my bills and actually save a little. little.

So you see to me it is all about control, and I do not want it to get tothe point where mommyof4 has to where they touch one of my children or wife.

As for the border, I just called Code Enforcement to see if I can put 3-4' lattice for my Jasmines to grow on. waiting to hear back from them.
A tall planter with 6 ft sunflower's would do the trick also.
Trees are a last option, but may be necassary.

OP, do you have any proof that the neighbors are actually recording and aren't just doing this to wind you up?

They say fences and curtains make good neighbors. However, trampolines are not very nice to have next door. I don't live near any, but you can easily google about trampolines and neighbor hostility.

Playing sports in the street can be irritating, too. Especially if it's excessive or ongoing. There's too much to re-read, but you mentioned football, baseball, and basketball. Did I miss soccer? That's a lot of sports, and a lot of basketball bouncing in the street, which makes an irritating and repetitive thud. Do you own a portable basketball goalpost?

We all commend you for keeping your kids active, but isn't there a park or playground for them to play basketball in?

Your neighbor obviously doesn't want to see or hear your kids, and I can hardly blame them. Without both sides of the story it's not easy to give a good evaluation of the situation, but this is just what I observed from your post.

Ozark_Sophist

There are bigger things in life to worry about. From your own description, you don't have clean hands in this feud either. Grow up. Ignore them or it will continue to escalate.

GotSmart

You have a right to privacy in your own home. The camera in the back is the last straw. You guys need to get together and settle this as neighbors.

MojoBuc2

Actually, I cutted and pasted below from the original post, but I tried to be the "grown up" and had to deal with grief from my own wife for trying to be the "nice guy" and "peace maker". It wasn't easy to admit to her she was right about these people.

But your right there are bigger things to worry about in life, and she seems to find something new everytime I try to ignore her insanity.

There are bigger things in life to worry about. From your own description, you don't have clean hands in this feud either. Grow up. Ignore them or it will continue to escalate.
She asked me why I never talk to her only her husband, I explained I can actually talk to and reach a mutual agreement with husband, adult like. She then told me her husband would just come in and tell her what an .as..ole jerk I was and they would have a good laugh. I said fine, I don't need to talk to him either, but b4 that happened we came to a mutual agreement, we would stop playing baseball if they would stop racing down the street when they saw us outside playing basketball or football. She said, they would try.

justalayman

so, have you tried a very bright well focused spotlight aimed directly at the cameras from as close as you can get?

I would not suggest a laser as it might damage the camera.

TigerD

How about just ignoring them and going on with your life?

Really, this seems like such pretty crap to be concerned with. Your neighbor is a jerk. So what? Don't talk to them. If they break the law, call the police.

Grow up and move on.

DC

MojoBuc2

tried it and it worked for about 2 months until they put their camera up and they started with the racing by my home while we were outside in my front yard playing again. I appreciate your input, but you fail to understand, the more I ignore of their behavior, the more they find to complain about. it's been the one constant since they moved in, she is very controlling and if we do not abide, she freaks. The latest example is the camera issue: she didn't like our's, even though hers was up two weeks b4 mine and she said right to my face, "we are watching you" but when we watched them back to end the name calling and threats from out of view of their camera, they felt they were being violated and called the cops. When the cops didn't do anything,(the cop told us she let him know about her unhappiness, in so many words) they started w/ the flipping off the camera. then I guess they got a brain storm and figured they would put one up in the back yards on my window.

So you see I really have no choice. I did think about a spotlight, like the lazer, but may just go with some kind of blocking

How about just ignoring them and going on with your life?

Really, this seems like such pretty crap to be concerned with. Your neighbor is a jerk. So what? Don't talk to them. If they break the law, call the police.

Grow up and move on.

DC

TigerD

tried it and it worked for about 2 months until they put their camera up and they started with the racing by my home while we were outside in my front yard playing again.
If they are violating the speed limit, call the cops and complain about speeders on your street.

I appreciate your input, but you fail to understand, the more I ignore of their behavior, the more they find to complain about.
Complain to whom? Why do you care what they have to say? Ignore them. They don't exist.

it's been the one constant since they moved in, she is very controlling and if we do not abide, she freaks.
They can only have that kind of power over you if you give it to them.

The latest example is the camera issue: she didn't like our's, even though hers was up two weeks b4 mine and she said right to my face, "we are watching you" but when we watched them back to end the name calling and threats from out of view of their camera, they felt they were being violated and called the cops.
So they are watching you. If they violate the law, call the police. Putting up cameras to "show them" is childish and rather silly. He did it first was worn out as an excuse for boorish behavior by second grade.

When the cops didn't do anything,(the cop told us she let him know about her unhappiness, in so many words) they started w/ the flipping off the camera.
Okay. Again, why do you care? Ignore them. Grow up.

then I guess they got a brain storm and figured they would put one up in the back yards on my window.
If there is a camera aimed in your window, you may have an invasion of privacy complaint. Talk to an attorney.

So you see I really have no choice. I did think about a spotlight, like the lazer, but may just go with some kind of blocking
You have had every choice and at every turn you have made poor choices.

Grow up. Why do you care about what the neighbor's think or do? If they violate the law, call the police. Life is too short to worry about pleasing jerks.

DC

MojoBuc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoBuc2
tried it and it worked for about 2 months until they put their camera up and they started with the racing by my home while we were outside in my front yard playing again.

If they are violating the speed limit, call the cops and complain about speeders on your street.

did it, the pplice cannot do anything unless they witness it, even if there are other's who did witness it, as was the case here

Quote:
I appreciate your input, but you fail to understand, the more I ignore of their behavior, the more they find to complain about.

Complain to whom? Why do you care what they have to say? Ignore them. They don't exist.

To myself, wife and including the kids who she has admitted she told them to stop and had video taped them then of course denied it and called them liars. Sorry but as a parent I feel it is my responsibility to protect my children as well as any others who are intrusted to my care, and that includes from physcotic pain pill popping adults

Quote:
it's been the one constant since they moved in, she is very controlling and if we do not abide, she freaks.

They can only have that kind of power over you if you give it to them.

and me trying to be the "good" neighbor but more so the fool, attempted to keep her subdued by trying to meet her demands. My bad, and it ended. Now I am a 2nd grader?

Quote:
The latest example is the camera issue: she didn't like our's, even though hers was up two weeks b4 mine and she said right to my face, "we are watching you" but when we watched them back to end the name calling and threats from out of view of their camera, they felt they were being violated and called the cops.

So they are watching you. If they violate the law, call the police. Putting up cameras to "show them" is childish and rather silly. He did it first was worn out as an excuse for boorish behavior by second grade.

Actually I put up camera's because he would stand out from his (camera, and couldn't be seen) and threaten me bodily harm, such as and I qoute, "gouging out your good eye". So, as protection, I wanted something that would catch my gate entrance to my own home in case he thought he could enter my property and take out my eye. His words, not mine Again we told the cops and there were witnesses, but none of them heard it and it is only a threat. I'm not taking that chance

Quote:
When the cops didn't do anything,(the cop told us she let him know about her unhappiness, in so many words) they started w/ the flipping off the camera.

Okay. Again, why do you care? Ignore them. Grow up.

I do ignore them as well as laugh, it's comical really, point being, "she told off a cop since she did not get her way"

Quote:
then I guess they got a brain storm and figured they would put one up in the back yards on my window.

If there is a camera aimed in your window, you may have an invasion of privacy complaint. Talk to an attorney.

Code enforement is coming out tomorrow and an attorney is set up for Friday

Quote:

You have had every choice and at every turn you have made poor choices.

Not true, I have tried as stated to talk things out and WAS MADE A FOOL OF. BUT I did keep to the agreement and STOPPED playing baseball, again, to be the good neighbor. What did I get, they install a camera and then go back to flying by my home as we are outside playing. I asked what is up, I thought we had an agreement and am met with 'I'm done talking' and then threat of stomping my a.."

Grow up. Why do you care about what the neighbor's think or do? If they violate the law, call the police. Life is too short to worry about pleasing jerks.

So what your saying is I should allow them to dictate what my family can and cannot do in my own home? Allow them to say nasty things to my kids and about my kids? Run for cover as they hot rod down the road and basically give in to their petty means...
Listen, i asked for advice on this situation, there is SO much more said I cannot put in writing, but trust me, I have grown up and it got me into this crap. The old way, the old me(younger), it would have been taken care of already.

But I appreciate your input, including he insults, thanks

GotSmart

There are lights that focus a beam of light. Aim it on the camera, and it will not get a picture.

Make a list, and speak with the lawyer.

Good luck. Sounds like you are up against a person who is crazy.

154NH773

You have been given thoughtful and well meaning advice. It seems that you are uninterested in following it, or have an excuse why it won't work.

I agree with the comments stating that you have also acted poorly in this matter, and have allowed the situation to aggravate you to the point where you want to "get even" rather than resolve the problem.

You have legal rights; exercise them. If you have no legal right to expect certain things; forget about them.

csi7

The hardest part in any "neighbor" issue is finding the facts and leaving the "feelings" out of the statement.

You can purchase a spotlight and aim it up from the ground or from a location that you can focus the light direct at the camera will take care of the camera viewing.

If the neighbor encroaches your property, trespasses your property, those are separate legal issues enforceable by law.

The difference in taking positive action using legal methods is using the facts to help you find resolution to the issue. You will have to decide what end result you legally need to have and work towards that goal.

Good Luck! Take the time to sort out your feelings, separate those from the facts, and keep track of the entire saga.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">