• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daycare Provider feeds kids benadryl

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecmst12

OMG JAL learn a thing once in a while. Benadryl is ALSO classified as an antihistimine that has the side effect of drowsiness. Doxylamine is the active ingredient in UNISOM - a sleep aid. It is an antihistimine that also causes sleepiness. That does not mean it will have the same effect on every human on the planet, we are all different. Benadryl doesn't make some people sleepy either. Sudafed is a decongestant that more commonly makes people nervous/jittery as a side effect, though it does make SOME people sleepy, that is less common and there are no commercial preparations that advertise sudafed as helping anyone sleep. It's the antihistimine in Nyquil that provides the sleepy effect, always has been and still continues. The active ingredient in Zquil is diphenhydramine which is benadryl, but like I said that medicine is very similar to doxylamine anyway, they're in the same classification.

single317dad

Pseudophedrine (Sudafed) is an antihistamine, it is used in the manufacture of methamphetamine and raises blood pressure, so it's only allowed behind the pharmacy counter in a lot of places now.
Acetaminophen is Tylenol/paracetamol
Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant that doesn't work worth a darn.
Doxylamine succinate is the OTC replacement for sudafed, and doesn't work worth a darn.

What made people sleepy in Nyquil was the combination of antihistamine and alcohol. It was 50 proof/25% last I knew, but I heard they had reformulated recently. Pretty much like the bourbon and honey people used to give their kids when they were sick - cough suppressant and sleep aid.

justalayman

OMG JAL learn a thing once in a while. Benadryl is ALSO classified as an antihistimine that has the side effect of drowsiness. Doxylamine is the active ingredient in UNISOM - a sleep aid. It is an antihistimine that also causes sleepiness. That does not mean it will have the same effect on every human on the planet, we are all different. Benadryl doesn't make some people sleepy either. Sudafed is a decongestant that more commonly makes people nervous/jittery as a side effect, though it does make SOME people sleepy, that is less common and there are no commercial preparations that advertise sudafed as helping anyone sleep. It's the antihistimine in Nyquil that provides the sleepy effect, always has been and still continues. The active ingredient in Zquil is diphenhydramine which is benadryl, but like I said that medicine is very similar to doxylamine anyway, they're in the same classification.
Me learn a thing? I know what was taken out of Nyquil when it changed from making me sleepy to not making me sleepy. Argue all you want but those are facts.

Apparently millions of people, besides me, know you are wrong. pseudoephridine HCL makes us sleepy. Doxylamine doesn't. Go argue with somebody else.

ecmst12

Pseudophedrine (Sudafed) is an antihistamine, it is used in the manufacture of methamphetamine and raises blood pressure, so it's only allowed behind the pharmacy counter in a lot of places now.
Acetaminophen is Tylenol/paracetamol
Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant that doesn't work worth a darn.
Doxylamine succinate is the OTC replacement for sudafed, and doesn't work worth a darn.

What made people sleepy in Nyquil was the combination of antihistamine and alcohol. It was 50 proof/25% last I knew, but I heard they had reformulated recently. Pretty much like the bourbon and honey people used to give their kids when they were sick - cough suppressant and sleep aid.
You have it backwards. Sudafed is a DECONGESTANT and yes, it's part of making meth. It's not an antihistamine.

Doxylamine (unisom) is an antihistamine and is not a replacement for sudafed. It is in the same pharmeceutical category as benadryl.

Apparently, JAL finds benadryl more effective at helping him sleep compared to unisom. That is a valid observation. He also finds that sudafed helps him sleep. That is ALSO a valid observation. It does not mean that sudafed can be classified as a sleep aid - in fact, if you look at the package for sudafed, it's advertised as NON-DROWSY - sleepiness is an atypical side effect. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but individual results always vary.

justalayman

I don't use Unisom. I do not use Sudafed. I don't use Benedryl. I use ZZquil or warm milk to help me sleep if needed. Most of the time I just come here and read ecmst12's posts and before you know it, I'm sound asleep right at the keyboard.

I think I shall go to all of those sites where they too have experienced the same effects regarding pseudoephredine HCL and doxylamine and let them know about the "ecmst12" method to falling asleep.

ecmst12

If you take zquil, then you take benadryl. It's the same ingredient.

I also own and know how to use a drug guide, a skill I suggest you learn if you want to start discussing pharmacology and not sound like a total idiot.

justalayman

If you take zquil, then you take benadryl. It's the same ingredient.

I also own and know how to use a drug guide, a skill I suggest you learn if you want to start discussing pharmacology and not sound like a total idiot.

Um, no. If I take either of them I may be taking diphenhydramine but I am not taking one of those based on taking the other. I suggest you learn that Zquil and Benadryl are trademarked names and not only that, each contains some ingredients not in the other.

So, no, I do not use Benedryl.

I do not think there is anything you can do to not sound like an idiot, even with that drug guide.

Of course, if I did use Benedryl, it would provide the same effect as taking Zquil. Did I ever say anything that that would not be true? I said: I do not use Benedryl. I am certain you do not know me well enough to be able to say whether I use Benedryl or not.

Last edited:

Proserpina

JAL.

Seriously - ecm is correct here. You're arguing for nothing.

(Well, except for the fact that it's ecm who's making the - correct - statements)

Come on now. Or I'll come back there with cbg and we'll play whack-a-mole with you :D

justalayman

JAL.

Seriously - ecm is correct here. You're arguing for nothing.

(Well, except for the fact that it's ecm who's making the - correct - statements)

Come on now. Or I'll come back there with cbg and we'll play whack-a-mole with you :D
actually, she is not correct. I do not use Benedryl. That makes her wrong.

go back and read what I wrote and tell me where I said ANYTHING that is not correct.

ecmst12

Brand and generic names for the same drug are interchangeable. So are different brands. It's actually important to understand that those are 3 names for the same thing. If you don't get that, the deficiency is yours, not mine.

Last edited:

justalayman

Brand and generic names for the same drug are interchangeable. So are different brands. It's actually important to understand that those are 3 names for the same thing. If you don't get that, the deficiency is yours, not mone.
what?

You go ahead and tell the makers of Benedryl and Unisom or whatever med you are talking about that. I bet they will tell you that you are quite wrong/

The words are important. Maybe that is why you cannot understand what I am telling you. You make some generalized statement and cannot understand that my statements were very specific intentionally and that is why you are wrong.

No, those 3 names are not names for the same thing. They are trademarked names for products with each representing the manufacturer's specific formulation where each include doxylamine but they are not the same thing.

If I were to bother, I could find you formulations that include a common chemical but due to the other ingredients in the formulations, one of them would be fine for a patient but another could be deadly for that same patient. One drug does not make the product.

I feel sorry for you ecmst12. I guess you are just not capable of understanding.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
actually, she is not correct. I do not use Benedryl. That makes her wrong.

go back and read what I wrote and tell me where I said ANYTHING that is not correct.
Dude. Seriously. I deal with the FDA at least once a quarter. I've been working on and off in the pharmaceutical field for 30 years. My father worked in the field for over 48 years. You are so wrong. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">