• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents threatening to sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proserpina

My daughter doesn't HATE them or anything. She is rather indifferent to them actually. She doesn't ask to see them. All three of the grandkids get annoyed with their grandma within minutes of seeing her because she doesn't stop mauling them. The grandfather told me today that seeing my daughter at her cousins' house wasn't good enough because he wanted her to play with him instead of with her cousins. ?!?!?!?!?!

That's...disturbing.

Really, really, really, really, really, really disturbing.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I also have the grandfather's family backing me. His sister has a tape recording of him admitting to molesting two of his sisters and his brother. I don't know if the tape is real as I haven't heard it. She is willing to let us listen to it and use it in court if it would be heard. I don't know if the court would allow that, or would consider it hearsay.
Any of them alive that would TESTIFY to what he did? Cuz if that is the case, a say a restraining order preventing him to have ANY contact with ANY children should be in place.

I would fight tooth and nail not to give the Grandma any unsupervised parenting time because I would NOT trust the woman to NOT have the GPa around.

I agree; it's disturbing. Yes, all of his sisters and his brother are alive and willing to testify. I didn't know if it would bear any weight in this case. Another reason that I haven't let them have her alone is because both of them have brought her dad to see her while he was EXTREMELY intoxicated. I have dates, times and witnesses to such events. I think their money would be better spent on their son in helping him to recover from his drinking problem.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If it were to get to court, ask that they be required to pay for you attorney fees.

Based on what you said, if the siblings were to testify, I couldn't see grandpa being allowed anywhere near ANY children with a hundred foot pole. Since grandma is married to the grandpa, that would limit any options that she would have.

I believe it's like BL said earlier - blustering.

LdiJ

If it were to get to court, ask that they be required to pay for you attorney fees.

Based on what you said, if the siblings were to testify, I couldn't see grandpa being allowed anywhere near ANY children with a hundred foot pole. Since grandma is married to the grandpa, that would limit any options that she would have.

I believe it's like BL said earlier - blustering.
I agree about the blustering. Attorney's usually don't write threatening letters unless 1) Their client really doesn't have the money to see it through or 2) they don't have a strong case. Otherwise, the attorney would just file the suit.

while i am also in agreement that it may be just blustering, i believe my case is a perfect example of never underestimating the lengths a person will go to if they really think they have a chance... she filed like 3 petitions in the space of 6 months.....

are you representing yourself or getting a lawyer? if you are representing yourself, homework, homework, homework...get all your info and evidence together, organize your witnesses, find out the rules for civil procedure so that your evidence wont be dismissed for improper presentation to the court etc...study up like you were going to take the bar and learn all the statutes like the back of your hand.

If they take me to court I will hire an attorney to ensure things are done correctly. But, if they sue me and her dad and I both submit an affadavit that we do not want the visitation schedule in place, can that be easily done without a lawyer?

I'll type the body of that letter that I received. I thought it was BS from the second I looked at it. I am even leaving in the poor writing skills used by his secretary.

Dear Armouredone

As you are aware I have represted Daddy on a stipulation and order that was entered regarding paternity, custody and parenting time.

I have now been contacted by Gma from Hell and Gpa from Hell regarding the possibility of grand parenting time with their grandchild. In discussing this matter with them I advised that the easiest way to have grand parenting time occur would be to have you agree to it. In reviewing the order that was entered with Daddy parenting time has certain restrictions based upon Daddy's battle with alcohol. I do not see that being an impediment for grand parenting time with Gma from Hell or Gpa from Hell. As such I would request that you discuss this matter directly with Gma from Hell in hopes that you can come to some understanding regarding Beautiful Daughter.

Hopefully this can be accomplished without my involvement; however there are grand parenting statutes for the State of Michigan. If this cannot be resolved I will advise Gma from Hell and Gpa from Hell of their rights.

Sincerely
Dumb Lawyer who can't use a comma

I wonder why he told me to talk to gma about it and not gpa....

TinkerBelleLuvr

As you are aware I have represted Daddy on a stipulation and order that was entered regarding paternity, custody and parenting time.
Excuse me, but isn't this a MAJOR conflict of interest here. How can he represent the HE double-hockey stick Gparents when he was the attorney for DAD?

You really could have some fun with this. Shouldn't dad use this same attorney to send an attorney like letter back to them saying NO?

I might also add... My ex's parents hired this lawyer and talked him into establishing paternity. My ex had no interest in doing so. He works for his parents and they make sure that he is up-to-date in child support. I suspect that they began researching this matter with that lawyer BEFORE my ex ever filed. The lawyer probably informed them that they could not file a suit until paternity was established and child support was being paid.

Last year when my ex and I drew up our custody agreement with our lawyers, his own lawyer was arguing with my ex about the agreement (even though we wrote it together). He was arguing that the supervisors should be his parents and not his brother. My ex put his foot down that he didn't want his parents as the supervisors. It seems that this lawyer was already fighting for grandparenting time last year.

TinkerBelleLuvr

It would be more effective to have DAD write a letter (you can write - he sign) that as HIS attorney, he should not be representing his parents in this matter. If he continues, he would be reported to the bar for an ethics violation.

wow..lets see what i'd say if this were me.

Dear genius atty:

please be advised that your clients were offered time to visit with OUR child and have refused said offers. if your client refuses to utilize said time, such refusal is out of our hands as we do not have control over whether or not they choose to be present.

also please be advised that dad finds your representation of your client, his parents, highly unethical and as such will report him to your state's bar association if said unethical behavior continues and if necessary seek new legal counsel. dad will be contacting you regarding this situation in a separate communication.

if your client wishes to seek legal action for this issue then so be it. We have never denied your client access to our child.

thank you for attention to this matter.

now me being the catty person i am, i would TOTALLY quote the statute for him since he wants to be silly and try and threaten you...but thats just me;)

TinkerBelleLuvr

I would leave it as ONE letter from dad to attorney that says that his representation of his parents when he is HIS attorney of record as unethical. If he doesn't drop them, he will be forced to report his behaviour to the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">