• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can Effexor still be on the market???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurt-by-Effexor

What is the name of your state? Washington State

My life quality and professional standing in field has been compromised by the use of Effexor. I have been taking Effexor for approximately 2003 for mild depression and job stress. Until late 2005 I was unaware of severe side effects of the use of this drug.

I began having severe short term memory loss episodes and "brain zaps" (common vernacular of patients) which are like micro-second shooting stars passing through my brain, as well as several other symptoms/side-effects of Effexor use and withdrawal. Recently within the last two months I have seen my family physican, a diagnostic physician and a neurologist, and have endured a battery of neurology and cardiac tests that have indicated mini-strokes.

My physicians are all aware of the Effexor use and have listened to my concerns/effects with the drug, but have not yet been able to pin down a diagnosis. I believe they are choosing to not address the Effexor concern as one of their medical doctors prescribed the medication. I do not believe the prescribing physician is liable, as Wyeth (Effexor Pharmaceutical manufacturer) failed to fully inform prescribing doctors as well as patients of the true side effects of this drug. However, Wyeth has been cited by the FDA for inadequate research protocol and practices. But why has this drug remained on the market with such tragic side effects as suicide, homocide, , heart attacks, high blood pressure, strokes, memory loss, seizures, confusion, and other effects?

This drug has ruined my life and career as I am told by physicians that I need to seek a disability retirement for the mini-strokes and the effects. My employer is impatient with my loss of cognitive abilities. A disability retirement will result in a severely reduced income, even after forty years in my profession.

I would like to find an experienced attorney who can represent me and has had successful experience in lawsuits against negligent Pharmaceutical manufacturers such as Wyeth and possibly mediation with my employer.

kissyface

Effexor

Dear Hurt-by-Effexor,

I'm sorry that this post will not help you in any way. I was, however, hoping you might enlighten me. Do you have any web addresses you could share with me linking Effexor to memory loss? I was unaware that there had been any known problems with Effexor; however, I have been taking it for at least 3 years and have been experiencing so much short-term memory loss that I am beginning to get scared.

My very best friend got a dog in January, which I've seen on at least 7occasions. Suddenly last week I asked her what dog she was talking about. I told her that she hadn't told me she'd gotten a new dog. No matter how much she told me about the dog (including that I asked her to give me one of the puppies when the dog was bred), I couldn't recall one detail of what she was talking about. The next day, I remembered everything. It was very scary for me to realize I can forget such a huge chunk of memory. :eek: I've been dealing with smaller forms of short-term memory loss for at least 2 years.

I have also started having twitches. My whole body twitches about once every 30-60 seconds. I have bipolar disorder and panic attacks. I'm a very nervous person, so I attributed the twiching to those problems. I thought the memory loss was due to my depression. I will change medications immediately if there is a link. Thank you! You may have just saved me from developing even more severe problems.

Many thanks,
S. (kissyface)

rmet4nzkx

kissyface said:
Dear Hurt-by-Effexor,

I'm sorry that this post will not help you in any way. I was, however, hoping you might enlighten me. Do you have any web addresses you could share with me linking Effexor to memory loss? I was unaware that there had been any known problems with Effexor; however, I have been taking it for at least 3 years and have been experiencing so much short-term memory loss that I am beginning to get scared.

My very best friend got a dog in January, which I've seen on at least 7occasions. Suddenly last week I asked her what dog she was talking about. I told her that she hadn't told me she'd gotten a new dog. No matter how much she told me about the dog (including that I asked her to give me one of the puppies when the dog was bred), I couldn't recall one detail of what she was talking about. The next day, I remembered everything. It was very scary for me to realize I can forget such a huge chunk of memory. :eek: I've been dealing with smaller forms of short-term memory loss for at least 2 years.

I have also started having twitches. My whole body twitches about once every 30-60 seconds. I have bipolar disorder and panic attacks. I'm a very nervous person, so I attributed the twiching to those problems. I thought the memory loss was due to my depression. I will change medications immediately if there is a link. Thank you! You may have just saved me from developing even more severe problems.

Many thanks,
S. (kissyface)
Let me guess you are working on an Effexor defense?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=321103
kissyface said:
What is the name of your state? California

:confused: Hi, I served 5 months for 'causing harm to a child' (please no judging... not an accurate charge... son w/severe ADHD, self-mutilates, lies cuz I took away video games as punishment for kicking holes in his bedroom walls, wife wants out of marriage & sees this as perfect opportunity to take everything, bingo.. I'm in jail). :mad:

So for my question. I served the 5 months and then reported for almost 1 yr. of a 3 yr. supervised probation. Then when going through more family issues I was homeless & car -less for a while and stopped reporting. A felony warrant was issued for 'probation violation - failure to report' in December 2003.

I have been steadily working since 5/2004 (same job since 9/2004). I got remarried 12/2004 and have a new wife and beautiful 1 yr. old baby girl I am blessed to be responsible for, and am paying both my current & past due child support payments to my 2 ex-wives for my 2 sons.

I want to start reporting to probation again but am too afraid they will put me back in jail and I will lose my job. The house I live in belongs to the company/farm I work for; so I would lose my house too. I can't put my wife and child through that.

Does anyone know how I can report & not go to jail for violating my probation by non-reporting? Sorry this was so long.

Thanks,
Paul

**LOL no jokes about the username. :eek: My wife registered me. OMG! LOL :eek:What is the name of your state?

rmet4nzkx

Hurt-by-Effexor said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State

My life quality and professional standing in field has been compromised by the use of Effexor. I have been taking Effexor for approximately 2003 for mild depression and job stress. Until late 2005 I was unaware of severe side effects of the use of this drug.

I began having severe short term memory loss episodes and "brain zaps" (common vernacular of patients) which are like micro-second shooting stars passing through my brain, as well as several other symptoms/side-effects of Effexor use and withdrawal. Recently within the last two months I have seen my family physican, a diagnostic physician and a neurologist, and have endured a battery of neurology and cardiac tests that have indicated mini-strokes.

My physicians are all aware of the Effexor use and have listened to my concerns/effects with the drug, but have not yet been able to pin down a diagnosis. I believe they are choosing to not address the Effexor concern as one of their medical doctors prescribed the medication. I do not believe the prescribing physician is liable, as Wyeth (Effexor Pharmaceutical manufacturer) failed to fully inform prescribing doctors as well as patients of the true side effects of this drug. However, Wyeth has been cited by the FDA for inadequate research protocol and practices. But why has this drug remained on the market with such tragic side effects as suicide, homocide, , heart attacks, high blood pressure, strokes, memory loss, seizures, confusion, and other effects?

This drug has ruined my life and career as I am told by physicians that I need to seek a disability retirement for the mini-strokes and the effects. My employer is impatient with my loss of cognitive abilities. A disability retirement will result in a severely reduced income, even after forty years in my profession.

I would like to find an experienced attorney who can represent me and has had successful experience in lawsuits against negligent Pharmaceutical manufacturers such as Wyeth and possibly mediation with my employer.
The drug Effexor is widey known for it's side effects and is generaly not the first antidepressant prescribed to a patient, so your history of RX is important in evaluating any case you might have. While you may not blame the provider who prescribed it to you, that is a question that must be answered whether or not the standard of care was observed in prescribing the medication based on your medical history. Based on your age, you are already at higher risk for strokes, that is why you are bing seen by a neurologist. Additionally, withdrawl from any medication should be done under medical supervisiion, especially one like Efexor. Known side-effects are not a basis of a lawsuit nor are assumptions and stories from fellow opponents credible evidence in and of its self.

By all means you may consult an attorney but be prepared to answer questions with something more than assumptions if you are to have a successful lawsuit. If all medicaitons with sideeffects were banned or not allowed on the market, we would not have an medications at all, they work because of their side-effects.

tammy8

I was on it for several months. I got better and stopped cold turkey with no side effects. So I do believe that it did help me. However it did not help my exhusband (hence the ex factor).

It is up to you to communicate with your doctor.

Greg 2

PLEASE...FOR your own well being, everyone that is currently takeing an antidepressant, do some research about depression, lack of/low magnesium in the drinking water and the cautions of anti-depression drugs.
What I found out was the prescription drugs are required for short-term [2-3 months maximum] use, then the proper [and logical] path is to correct the problem instead of treating the symptoms. The basic problem is an improper level [usually low] magnesium in the blood.
Your doctor can perform a simple blood test to check your mg level. I discovered this after the wife had been on the all to familar merry-go-round of see psyc doctor ($75) for about 15 minutes, get meds ($ high) and repeat...repeat...repeat for over 7 years!!! An unscheduled hospital stay is what prompted me to do my research. Don't you wait that long.
DON"T do this on your own though, go to your personal doctor and have them do a blood test for magnesium level and follow their advise. I'm no doctor and cannot nor will I dispense medical advise. The mind you save could be your own.
From Illinois

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is of ENORMOUS disservice to anyone reading this thread to suggest and any and all cases of depression could be successfully treated with mg to the exclusion of any prescription drugs. To make such a claim is not just irresponsible but dangerous. The fact that your wife was able to make such a switch successfully does not remotely mean that everyone can. Shame on you.

Betty

cbg said:
It is of ENORMOUS disservice to anyone reading this thread to suggest and any and all cases of depression could be successfully treated with mg to the exclusion of any prescription drugs. To make such a claim is not just irresponsible but dangerous. The fact that your wife was able to make such a switch successfully does not remotely mean that everyone can. Shame on you.
I agree - many people need prescription medication to treat their depression. There is also evidence that depression in some cases may be due to a chemical imbalance in the brain & need prescription medication to treat this. (even if the depression isn't due to a chemical imbalance in the brain - many people still need prescription meds for their depression - prescription meds help a lot of people with depression that otherwise would not be doing near as well if they weren't on the meds.)

rmet4nzkx

Greg 2 said:
PLEASE...FOR your own well being, everyone that is currently takeing an antidepressant, do some research about depression, lack of/low magnesium in the drinking water and the cautions of anti-depression drugs.
What I found out was the prescription drugs are required for short-term [2-3 months maximum] use, then the proper [and logical] path is to correct the problem instead of treating the symptoms. The basic problem is an improper level [usually low] magnesium in the blood.
Your doctor can perform a simple blood test to check your mg level. I discovered this after the wife had been on the all to familar merry-go-round of see psyc doctor ($75) for about 15 minutes, get meds ($ high) and repeat...repeat...repeat for over 7 years!!! An unscheduled hospital stay is what prompted me to do my research. Don't you wait that long.
DON"T do this on your own though, go to your personal doctor and have them do a blood test for magnesium level and follow their advise. I'm no doctor and cannot nor will I dispense medical advise. The mind you save could be your own.
From Illinois
I'm sorry but your post is inappropriate at best. While it is true that MG is associated with nerves, the symptoms of low MG may be observed or reported to their prescribing provider one of which should have ordered some labs during those 7 years. If your wife was under the care of both a PCP, Psychiatrist and receiving routine lab work and following normal suggestions of vitamins and supplements and complient with treatment which should have included psychotherapy, this more than likely would not have happened or would have been recognized much sooner, your experience is the exception to the rule. OP is wanting to sue because of know side effects and has no merit to that cause of action against the drug company.

zippysgoddess

There is also no basis to the claim of saying you didn't know about these problems that the drug could cause, you get leaflets from your pharmacy listing the most important issues to watch for, and you can find more information on virtually every drug on the market just by typing it in Google. You can't sue because you didn't bother to read up on the information available.

kissyface

Whoa! Hold on everybody... I don't want to sue

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

To: rmet4nzkx - Sorry for the confusion. I am Paul's wife. Paul is the one who is trying to get back into the law's good graces w/o destroying his family... losing job, house, ability to pay child support, etc. I don't need a defense for anything and my husband doesn't take medication at all. I can see how we confused people though... I'll get him his own user ID to avoid future confusion.

Also, I don't want to sue anyone. I posted the question to get links to decide whether or not I need to discuss a med. change w/my doctor. I was very unhappy to hear from Hurt-by-Effexor that it may be causing my memory loss. Because I can't assume something like that from just reading a post, I wanted to get some links to do some research on my own. I've previously tried Paxil, Prozac & Zoloft.

To everyone else: Effexor definitely helps my depression. No question about it. It's the first rx that's helped me enough to notice a marked difference. I will ask my doctor what he thinks about magnesium. However, I have not found that 2-3 months of any of the antidepressants I've tried is enough. When I've stopped any of them, the depression returns. I read every word of the leaflets that are given with each new rx I start taking. However, I haven't been reading them every time I get a refill which I see I need to start doing since new side-effects crop up.

Now that you know I don't need a defense and I don't want to sue. Does anyone have any links with valid information regarding Effexor?

rmet4nzkx

kissyface said:
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

To: rmet4nzkx - Sorry for the confusion. I am Paul's wife. Paul is the one who is trying to get back into the law's good graces w/o destroying his family... losing job, house, ability to pay child support, etc. I don't need a defense for anything and my husband doesn't take medication at all. I can see how we confused people though... I'll get him his own user ID to avoid future confusion.

Also, I don't want to sue anyone. I posted the question to get links to decide whether or not I need to discuss a med. change w/my doctor. I was very unhappy to hear from Hurt-by-Effexor that it may be causing my memory loss. Because I can't assume something like that from just reading a post, I wanted to get some links to do some research on my own. I've previously tried Paxil, Prozac & Zoloft.

To everyone else: Effexor definitely helps my depression. No question about it. It's the first rx that's helped me enough to notice a marked difference. I will ask my doctor what he thinks about magnesium. However, I have not found that 2-3 months of any of the antidepressants I've tried is enough. When I've stopped any of them, the depression returns. I read every word of the leaflets that are given with each new rx I start taking. However, I haven't been reading them every time I get a refill which I see I need to start doing since new side-effects crop up.

Now that you know I don't need a defense and I don't want to sue. Does anyone have any links with valid information regarding Effexor?
As I said, Effexor is not usually the antidepressant of first choice and you have tried several others before finding success with efexor. Please discuss your medication with your provider as they are the best to counsel your individual presentation.

zippysgoddess

I'm a med researcher, so I am trying to see what I can find on this for you in my various databases, here's some links with either info, or people who have experienced the same thing, also, feel free to email at anytime and I will update you on anything else I find.

[email protected]

http://www.rxlist.com/rxboard/effexor.pl?noframes;read=2074 (Person with same complaint!)

http://depression.about.com/b/a/004426.htm (another one!)

http://www.drugawareness.org/Archives/Survivors/record0101.html (this person had many problems from it!)

http://www.mcmanweb.com/2003_depression_bipolar_news.htm

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/mentalhealth/messages/30443.html

http://www.anxietyhelp.org/treatment/medication/effexor.html

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20151&name=EFFEXOR

http://www.something-fishy.org/doctors/medications.php

rmet4nzkx

zippysgoddess said:
I'm a med researcher, so I am trying to see what I can find on this for you in my various databases, here's some links with either info, or people who have experienced the same thing, also, feel free to email at anytime and I will update you on anything else I find.

[email protected]

http://www.rxlist.com/rxboard/effexor.pl?noframes;read=2074 (Person with same complaint!)

http://depression.about.com/b/a/004426.htm (another one!)

http://www.drugawareness.org/Archives/Survivors/record0101.html (this person had many problems from it!)

http://www.mcmanweb.com/2003_depression_bipolar_news.htm

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/mentalhealth/messages/30443.html

http://www.anxietyhelp.org/treatment/medication/effexor.html

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20151&name=EFFEXOR

http://www.something-fishy.org/doctors/medications.php
Kissyface can research themselves or consult their doctor. There are thousands of possible links to opinions re Effexor on the net, not all of them competent or accurate. While most of the links may be OK, I see at least one that I would question immediately and should be removed. Also you are an interested layperson, not a professional medical researched, please make that clear.

zippysgoddess

Nope, I now get paid for this, it started as an interest of mine, but I learned I have a knack for it, and people who need help will pay for assistance. I write articles, provide various medical and medication information, such as uses, side effects and etc, plus I also do pill IDs for people who either forgot what something was, and didn't keep the bottle, or they find stuff in the pockets, bookbags, purses, whatever, of family members and don't know what they are. Sometimes I write up and summarize medical research papers.

I can't work outside the home anymore, the doc won't allow it, my problems, which you are well aware of, are just degenerating further. (Degenerative disc disease was finally far enough along to show up in my last MRI, lower lumbar so it is hitting right on top of the herniations and nerve impingement!) Working from home provides the only types of jobs that let me work at my own pace, or not work at all if my pain is out of control.

Anyway, twice now, I have managed to turn personal interests into professional titles and employment. Heavy studying, evaluation and tests, and it is amazing what you can do with your life. I really hated just sitting here and not being able to do much of anything and feeling useless.

So, I am not a medical professional in the same sense as a doctor, nurse, or pharmacist, my area is different, but yes, I spent the past year working on this so I could do something with my life and help people. I do, however, have access to the same databases and resources that they use.

I will quantify though, that these are not links or information from my professional resources, my hands are acting up badly these past two days, and I would have to type that all in, and just couldn't do it right now. I just did a quick search to let the poster see others who have voiced the same opinions or concerns. That is also why I left my email, if she contacts me later, I will gladly scan in, or when my hands are working right again, (took me 45 minutes to type this, then a few more to fix typos!) I will gladly type up some more of the information I have access too, so I can provide her more information from reliable sources and assist in any way I can.

Recent studies have shown, that for some people, antidepressants and benzos have been causing some memory loss, though very rarely severe enough to impair the person and make them stop using the med. The reasons for this are still unknown, but the theories hold that just like the side effects from various meds, it depends on one's body chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">