• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illness Due To Working 12 hour Rotating Shifts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Hi quincy, No, I got the vibe that some on here were not the impartial advice-givers that some might assume and of course we all know that these forums are closely monitored by insurance companies and businesses who may gain an advantage accessing information posted on here.

I work on the waterfront.
I am sure everyone who comes to this site, visitor and member alike, have biases. Some just may be better at hiding them than others. :)

The following is a link to an EEOC/ADA case out of the Fifth Circuit that centers on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - EEOC v Chevron Phillips Chemical Co, LP - that could be of some interest to you:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1161517.html

And here is a link that you may or may not find helpful - "EEOC Enforcement Guidance Workers' Compensation and the ADA." It speaks to the relationship between the EEOC, the ADA and worker's compensation:

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/workcomp.html

Thank you for providing a hint at what you do/did in the way of work.

Last edited:

lodimoony

I work rotating 12-hour shifts - and often 5 or 6 of them in a week. Sometimes, I have to work splits because of court or other activities. I also have a choice not to work in this career if I feel fatigued.

Perhaps your career choice or specific employer should be revisited if the schedule is not conducive to your sleep needs.
Thats a hard haul you do, be aware that those shifts have long-term health implications particularly as you grow older. In my case the damage has already been done.

CdwJava

Thats a hard haul you do, be aware that those shifts have long-term health implications particularly as you grow older. In my case the damage has already been done.
Yes it does. And I also have a choice to leave this career and enter into something else (Which, after nearly a quarter century, I am transitioning towards).

Fortunately for you, the "damage" can be undone ... try a different job. And, as others have pointed out, you have a great many hurdles to leap before you can make the claim that this is your employer's fault and that they should have been able to predict this.

lodimoony

I am sure everyone who comes to this site, visitor and member alike, have biases. Some just may be better at hiding them than others. :)

The following is a link to an EEOC/ADA case out of the Fifth Circuit that centers on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - EEOC v Chevron Phillips Chemical Co, LP - that could be of some interest to you:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1161517.html

And here is a link that you may or may not find helpful - "EEOC Enforcement Guidance Workers' Compensation and the ADA." It speaks to the relationship between the EEOC, the ADA and worker's compensation:

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/workcomp.html

Thank you for providing a hint at what you do/did in the way of work.
Youre right about the biases, we all have those for sure. Those links you posted are gold, thanks so much, and they will be of great assistance to others in the future looking for help on this topic. With more and more people working odd hours and shifts this topic one day will be front page news as increasing cases of the resulting ill health and claims increase.

lodimoony

Yes it does. And I also have a choice to leave this career and enter into something else (Which, after nearly a quarter century, I am transitioning towards).

Fortunately for you, the "damage" can be undone ... try a different job. And, as others have pointed out, you have a great many hurdles to leap before you can make the claim that this is your employer's fault and that they should have been able to predict this.
Thanks for your advice, appreciated, The claim is already underway and I will post the outcome on here in case it helps someone who finds themselves in my position in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">