• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i'm confused by the new marijuana laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Willlyjo

I cannot give you numbers...but being older than many/most of you I can tell you that it was much more prevalant when I was young than it is now, and it was considered to be far more dangerous than pot, even back then. Nobody ever had a "bad trip" on pot and killed themselves or others as a result of that bad trip.
Well said, LDiJ! If some of these younger kids saw what I've seen and experienced regarding LSD, they'd be horrified. God forbid LSD use ever achieving the level of alcohol or marijuana use that is prevelant in today's society. :(

justalayman

I cannot give you numbers...but being older than many/most of you I can tell you that it was much more prevalant when I was young than it is now, and it was considered to be far more dangerous than pot, even back then. Nobody ever had a "bad trip" on pot and killed themselves or others as a result of that bad trip.
as to a bad trip on pot; sorry but you are very wrong. I have known multiple people that have had extreme paranoia issues while on pot, and I mean extreme. I do know people that have had accidents due to pot use. In fact, a guy I know that used to be a chronic user of pot said something quite startling one day. I expressed my opinion of not being bothered by a guy that uses pot as long as he was not high when working with me (my job can involve an extreme level of danger). He said to me that if safety is an issue on his job, he will refuse to work with a guy that had been high the day before. Regardless what some of you folks want to claim as to the effects not lasting very long, he said that you are "fuzzy" the next day.

While on LSD a person could be killed because they make stupid decisions but so can they when drunk or when using pot.

I also know several people that either killed themselves or attempted to kill themselves because they were drunk.

So far each of you have posted exactly what the government of the '60's wanted people to believe: it's deadly, you will commit suicide, it's the worst drug out there, you will have flashbacks for the rest of your life, a bad trip will mess up your mind for life.

look for some statistics. I don't think you will find actual evidence to support your statements.

quoted from The Institute for the Study of Drug Dependence -

There are no known physical dangers attributable to long term LSD use. In particular there is no reliable evidence that LSD causes brain damage or damage to future children. Adverse psychological effects are possible after one trip, but are more common in regular users. For some users, the experience of hallucinating can be acutely distressing with various symptoms including paranoia; phobia and ideation take time to subside.

Case studies of prolonged serious adverse psychological reactions are reported in the literature, but appear to be rare.

These reactions can be psychotic in nature and generally occur among those with existing or latent mental illness, most commonly after repeated LSD use, when LSD has perhaps acted as the final straw. Among drug users such individuals are marked out as acid casualties, those who have taken so much LSD over a period of time that they never quite come back to normal consciousness.

A number of LSD users report a short-lived vivid reliving of a past trip without use of the drug known as a "flashback". Part of LSD is media portfolio as a horror drug were claims that users could have flashbacks lasting days or even weeks. In truth an LSD flashback (which can occur up to months after using the drug) only lasts a few minutes and is rarely dangerous although it can leave the person feeling anxious, disorientated or distressed. Flashbacks are most likely to happen in situations reminiscent of past LSD experiences or sometimes when a past user is smoking cannabis.

There is no physical dependence to LSD, but tolerance to the drug builds up rapidly. After 24 hours to achieve the same effect a much larger dose is necessary. After 3 to 4 days of increasing the dosage, a limit is reached whereby no dose would be effective. A break of around three days would be required for LSD sensitivity to return. Small minorities of those who have ever used LSD become psychologically dependent.

JennK2009

Oh for crying out loud, it’s a plant. A weed; to be exact. It is not a drug. It’s a God given plant. It makes a pretty houseplant.

There are no additives. No manufacturing with drano. No cocoa leaves seeped with gasoline. No marketing. No packaging. No profits. Everyone can afford some. Even when times are tough. Or mom has cancer.

Thank goodness bay leaves aren’t a weed – my soups would never be the same.

*Liking LDiJ, Tranqu, and Willy right now* because I don't see any movements to legalize LSD.

PS: My editing doesn't work with Firefox, either.

ajkroy

I think some of you have hit the nail on the head. It is much easier for the average person to cultivate marijuana than it is to distill spirits or *safely* cook meth...so how could the government regulate and tax it? Alcohol and tobacco are huge sources of revenue and are largely purchased legally; people don't often try to make their own to get around the tax.

I have no idea how to create LSD -- I just included meth because it is usually made at a home lab.

For the record, I am not part of the legalizing movement. I just figured that the government isn't going to want to legalize something that people can grow at home, unless they can get a levy on it.

justalayman

JennK2009;3115900]Oh for crying out loud, it’s a plant. A weed; to be exact. It is not a drug. It’s a God given plant.
so using psilocybin mushrooms is ok for you then to, right? How about salvia? Do you really want to make the statement that since it is a plant and you don't have to process it to be able to use it it is ok?

and you use kerosene on the coca leaves (not cocoa (aka: cacao). that is where chocolate comes from)

Last edited:

JennK2009

Shrooms? Do you have access to a cow pasture? Cool. The origins are not ideal, but at least it is God given. Dirt is good for you. Natural antibiotics, they say.

My niece in college says she knows nothing about mushrooms. I think she is lying to me.

justalayman

Shrooms? Do you have access to a cow pasture? Cool. The origins are not ideal, but at least it is God given. Dirt is good for you. Natural antibiotics, they say.
Yes, it seems to me Clostridium tetani is found in the dirt.

death is God given as well but honestly, I try to avoid it as long as I can.

Banned_Princess

Ha! You should be confused! The stoners got smart and moved past, “Legalize” to “Regulate”.

This is a fun time now, and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. No one knows for sure. Here are a couple of sites to get you started: The first one is from your home state, written by the cops. Very straightforward.

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2012/11/09/marijwhatnow-a-guide-to-legal-marijuana-use-in-seattle/

http://norml.org/

http://www.leap.cc/
http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2012/11/09/marijwhatnow-a-guide-to-legal-marijuana-use-in-seattle/

I just needed to link that.

Good discussion guys. :)

Banned_Princess

as to a bad trip on pot; sorry but you are very wrong. I have known multiple people that have had extreme paranoia issues while on pot, and I mean extreme. .
I expect the legalization regulation and acceptance of pot smoking will relieve most paranoia about it.

yea, there *might* be a morning after fuzzyness (not anything I have ever noticed)So what someone is kinda tired from hanging out til late smoking... drinking causes much harsher hangovers. the kind of hangovers that drinkers claim, only more drinking will relieve. Smokers just need some coffee

LSD is kinda nuts, and I'm sad there isn't any anymore... (jk, I'm glad I dont have to worry about that and my child, or people around her...)

Last edited:
W

Willlyjo

as to a bad trip on pot; sorry but you are very wrong. I have known multiple people that have had extreme paranoia issues while on pot, and I mean extreme. I do know people that have had accidents due to pot use. In fact, a guy I know that used to be a chronic user of pot said something quite startling one day. I expressed my opinion of not being bothered by a guy that uses pot as long as he was not high when working with me (my job can involve an extreme level of danger). He said to me that if safety is an issue on his job, he will refuse to work with a guy that had been high the day before. Regardless what some of you folks want to claim as to the effects not lasting very long, he said that you are "fuzzy" the next day.

While on LSD a person could be killed because they make stupid decisions but so can they when drunk or when using pot.

I also know several people that either killed themselves or attempted to kill themselves because they were drunk.

So far each of you have posted exactly what the government of the '60's wanted people to believe: it's deadly, you will commit suicide, it's the worst drug out there, you will have flashbacks for the rest of your life, a bad trip will mess up your mind for life.

look for some statistics. I don't think you will find actual evidence to support your statements.
LSD can be very deadly. One under the influence has senses that are drastically distorted. That which can be seen under its influence looks drastically distorted along with actual hallucinations. Imagine watching a black and white television in color or holding the Ace of Spades and it feels as thick as a telephone book.

I personally know people who have died under its influence.

As far as pot, I find it very hard to believe anyone feeling fuzzy the day after smoking pot. I also don't believe that pot made anyone come down with extreme paranoia that wasn't an extremely paranoid person to begin with.

I do believe that pot is capable of allowing you to focus so much on one thing that you're oblivious to another, which can cause problems. However, for therapeutic reasons, pot is a very logical choice of usage.

justalayman

=Banned_Princess;3115934]I expect the legalization regulation and acceptance of pot smoking will relieve most paranoia about it.
You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Paranoia is not some general concern or even fear of something. It is a real medical diagnosis in itself.

paranoia  

Psychiatry . a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.
yea, there *might* be a morning after fuzzyness (not anything I have ever noticed)So what someone is kinda tired from hanging out til late smoking... drinking causes much harsher hangovers. the kind of hangovers that drinkers claim, only more drinking will relieve. Smokers just need some coffee
Not according to my source. and giving coffee to a stoner is similar to giving coffee to a drunk. It does not alleviate the issue. It merely makes them stimulated and very "fuzzy".

and kind of tired in my line of work can make you kind of dead.

LSD is kinda nuts, and I'm sad there isn't any anymore... (jk, I'm glad I dont have to worry about that and my child, or people around her...)
who says there isn't any?

justalayman

Willlyjo;3115944]LSD can be very deadly.
actually, there is no record that I could find of anybody that ever died from LSD.

One under the influence has senses that are drastically distorted. That which can be seen under its influence looks drastically distorted along with actual hallucinations. Imagine watching a black and white television in color or holding the Ace of Spades and it feels as thick as a telephone book.
Oh, so the distorted perceptions one has when drunk still allow you to be safe, right?

and those that experience extreme paranoia due to MJ use are fine once they have their guns out ready to shoot whomever appears to be the threat to them. or lack enough focus to drive safely or work safely.

I personally know people who have died under its influence.
and I know people that died under the influence of booze and mj. What's your point? I also know people that have died while not under the influence of anything. Does that mean you should get high because you might die if you don't?

As far as pot, I find it very hard to believe anyone feeling fuzzy the day after smoking pot.
Sorry willy but you are simply wrong here. I have known some real chronic users. Not only do they say it is so but I see it in them as well.\

I also don't believe that pot made anyone come down with extreme paranoia that wasn't an extremely paranoid person to begin with.
and that one, I can assure you you are absolutely incorrect. In fact, it is a well documented reaction.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/06/why-pot-smokers-are-paranoid/

http://forum.grasscity.com/recreational-marijuana-use/174860-marijuana-paranoia.html

hell, read for yourself:

http://www.google.com/search?q=marijuana+use+paranoia&aq=f&oq=marijuana+use+paranoia&sugexp=chrome,mod=9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I do believe that pot is capable of allowing you to focus so much on one thing that you're oblivious to another, which can cause problems.
a typical stoner's claim. It in fact prevents one from focusing.

The Impact on the Mind

Marijuana use reduces learning ability. Research has been piling up of late demonstrating clearly that marijuana limits the capacity to absorb and retain information. A 1995 study of college students discovered that the inability of heavy marijuana users to focus, sustain attention, and organize data persists for as long as 24 hours after their last use of the drug
Hey, check it out.

persists for as long as 24 hours after their last use of the drug
However, for therapeutic reasons, pot is a very logical choice of usage.
another typical stoner's statement.

LdiJ

as to a bad trip on pot; sorry but you are very wrong. I have known multiple people that have had extreme paranoia issues while on pot, and I mean extreme.
Then likely they were smoking pot laced with something else, which regulation and decriminalization would eliminate.

I do know people that have had accidents due to pot use. In fact, a guy I know that used to be a chronic user of pot said something quite startling one day. I expressed my opinion of not being bothered by a guy that uses pot as long as he was not high when working with me (my job can involve an extreme level of danger). He said to me that if safety is an issue on his job, he will refuse to work with a guy that had been high the day before. Regardless what some of you folks want to claim as to the effects not lasting very long, he said that you are "fuzzy" the next day.
Of course people have had accidents due to pot use just like people have had accidents due to alcohol use...and no, people are not fuzzy the next day unless the pot has been laced with something else. Heck, alcohol is far worse the next day (hangover etc) than ordinary pot.

Ok, obviously you know absolutely nothing about LSD. Read up on it before saying things like this. It is a hallucinogenic.

Again, read up on LSD...its not remotely similar.

I think you need to do some serious reading. Can you admit that there are drugs that are out there today that are MUCH MUCH worse than pot? If you cannot, then you should not respond to threads like these until you have done some significant studying. LSD destroyed a lot of people in the 60's and 70's..much like Meth is destroying people now.

JennK2009

LDiJ; Thank for setting justalayman straight. Good grief.

ajkroy: ..."much easier for the average person to cultivate marijuana, so how can the government regulate it and tax it?"

That is the million dollar question ajkroy. First, forces successfully campaigned to outlaw it. Not an easy task. It takes much time and effort (or money). Read the history of why marijuana is illegal in the United States.

ajkroy: "I just figured that the government isn’t going to want to legalize something that people can grow at home, unless they can get a levy on it."

Now, you’re learning. Pay us. US of A.

We want to LEGALIZE it, so we can pay taxes in it (REGULATE). Makes sense to me. There is an untapped money market out there that is willing to pay to remain upstanding citizens. I’d rather pay a tax than a fine.

It is a annoying that I can’t simply cultivate my own. But, I live in America where democracy rules. I acquiesce to the majority. Not that I could produce anything good anyway; but heck, that’s what the toke tax is for. I’m willing to pay for the right to go shopping.

Everyone, have a great Thanksgiving. Be kind. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">