• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i'm confused by the new marijuana laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recall a wee for wii recently where the woman drank water until her electrolytes became so imbalanced that she expired. She died trying to win a game console.

Just because a drug overdose isnt fatal doesnt mean using the drug doesnt have serious consequences. Salvia comes to mind. Severe psychosis for 30 seconds. Wee fun. I dont think someone that would argue that lsd and marijuana are comparable have used either. With lsd there aint no getting off that bus. Your there for the full 8 hour ride and it might not be very fun. If you had suggested that psychedelic mushrooms were similar I might have understood your logic. Maybe.

I dont care if marijuana is legalized. Simple possession is legal in my state already as long as it is in the home. I would like to see its schedule moved to something more appropriate and I would like to see it decriminalized in no particular order. I dont think the present system is working. I am also of the opinion that alchohol is much more dangerous than marijuana.

I did notice that they are using the active ingredient in magic mushrooms for psychotherapy now. Werent lsd and mdma used for the same? Feels like full circle to me.

This is an older article and I cant figure out how to link url's. Yay, I think I got it.

Benefits of 'magic mushroom' therapy long lasting : Nature News

justalayman

Shannongiles16;3119204]I recall a wee for wii recently where the woman drank water until her electrolytes became so imbalanced that she expired. She died trying to win a game console.
so, are you trying to say water is more dangerous than LSD? Wow, and you all think I'm whacko.

Just because a drug overdose isnt fatal doesnt mean using the drug doesnt have serious consequences. Salvia comes to mind. Severe psychosis for 30 seconds. Wee fun.With lsd there aint no getting off that bus. Your there for the full 8 hour ride and it might not be very fun.
so? show me permanent effects. That is what is relevant. I have known people that died because they did something stupid while drunk. I have known people that died because they did something stupid while on pot. There have been people that died because they did something stupid while on LSD. Each drug is a problem but in it's own way.

I dont think someone that would argue that lsd and marijuana are comparable have used either.
where did I say they were similar?

I am also of the opinion that alchohol is much more dangerous than marijuana.
so, and you speak of me suggesting drugs are comparable? They are different drugs. They each cause different reactions in a user.

I did notice that they are using the active ingredient in magic mushrooms for psychotherapy now. Werent lsd and mdma used for the same? Feels like full circle to me.
actually they are testing LSD for psychotherapy now as well.

Alchohol and nicotine are both legal and taxed. Ingested in large enough amounts both can cause death. I cannot compare marijuana to lsd. Its too ludacris. Its really the worst argument Ive ever heard. Gl with that tho, maybe you can convince someone.

justalayman

Alchohol and nicotine are both legal and taxed. Ingested in large enough amounts both can cause death. I cannot compare marijuana to lsd. Its too ludacris. Its really the worst argument Ive ever heard. Gl with that tho, maybe you can convince someone.
It appears to be you comparing them, not me. I keep stating they are different drugs and cause people to react very differently.

btw: I think you have been listening to too much rap crap. ludacris is the (cough, cough) singer. The word you intended is: ludicrous

An overdose of lsd could cause severe mental illness, think syd barrett
and your proof is what? It is believed he was schizophrenic. He presented symptoms in the typical manner at the typical age.

a quote from a band mate:

Waters told VH-1's Legends in 2002: "There is no doubt those [street drugs] are very bad for schizophrenics ... and there is no doubt that Syd was a schizophrenic."
Seriously, if you are going to attempt to argue lsd causes mental illness, don't do it by showing that a schizophrenic was diagnosed as a schizophrenic. If you will research schizophrenia, you will see that it is schizophrenia is believed to be based in genetics.

OP, Ive been thinking about the angles on your question. As long as its not a non smoking apartment and its not low income subsidized you should be totally safe. I think the federal govt may come out against legalization before the 1st however. Here you cannot be charged for simple possession not because its legal but because its protected under our right to privacy. Obama had stated the administration would not interfere with states that were permitting medical but that turned out to be untrue. Im interested to see if the govt lets it go into effect. I seriously doubt it.
Kinda funny that the topic got onto lsd because Timothy Leary is the one who got the marijuana tax stamps repealed. I was completely unaware of this until I ran into one of his cohorts recently but Mr Leary hated marijuana and refused to let any onto his property. For those that dont know. When the fed wanted to take away a personal right of yours, back in the 20s and 30s, and couldnt devise a way to do it legally it would create a tax stamp law.

justalayman

Ill drink a gallon of bong water if you drink a gallon of lsd. Then we can have a long talk about our experiences.
You can blame whatever you want on what somebody takes. I know people that drank water and are now mentally ill. I guess that means water is the cause, right? I have yet to see anybody provide any even semi-authoritative source to support your claims. So far you have anecdotal support and conjecture. Care to provide some real support?

justalayman

OP, Ive been thinking about the angles on your question. As long as its not a non smoking apartment and its not low income subsidized you should be totally safe. I think the federal govt may come out against legalization before the 1st however. Here you cannot be charged for simple possession not because its legal but because its protected under our right to privacy. Obama had stated the administration would not interfere with states that were permitting medical but that turned out to be untrue. Im interested to see if the govt lets it go into effect. I seriously doubt it.
Kinda funny that the topic got onto lsd because Timothy Leary is the one who got the marijuana tax stamps repealed. I was completely unaware of this until I ran into one of his cohorts recently but Mr Leary hated marijuana and refused to let any onto his property. For those that dont know. When the fed wanted to take away a personal right of yours, back in the 20s and 30s, and couldnt devise a way to do it legally it would create a tax stamp law.
the fed cannot not let it go into effect. The federal laws still consider any MJ possession illegal. There is not coming out about anything. They have clearly stated it is against federal law. The feds can enforce those laws should they choose to.

Here you cannot be charged for simple possession not because its legal but because its protected under our right to privacy.
ya got to tell me how your right to privacy somehow makes possession legal.

Ravin vs State.

The people with mental illness that drink water should switch to steam distilled water. That is a protip.

I did some research and actually learned something new. LSD is actually pretty safe. Especially if they are not predisposed to mental illness. LSD has a tendency to bring any latent mental illness to the surface. Also, long term use is associated with what became known as the acid casualties tho its possible most of them were predisposed. Ive only actually known a few people in my life that had sustained continuous use(both are educated and intelligent beatniks)and they both seem relatively sane. I myself detest the drug and will probably do a steve ****** style happy foot dance when the last of the original chemists dies. Nothing personal against him I just really dont like the drug.

Quote from Hunter S Thompson. "you can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug"

justalayman

Shannongiles16;3119876]Ravin vs State.
that is a state ruling. It didn't even get to the federal court of appeals.

I did some research and actually learned something new. LSD is actually pretty safe.
OMFG. Ya mean when somebody actually researched what I was saying they found there might be a kernel of truth in my statements?

My magic 8 ball doesnt always give me completely accurate information. I wouldnt know what the case is called now but ravin vs the state was the beginning of it.

Its been bumped to our supreme court three times I think.. The supreme court stated that we did not have the right to vote to remove one of our personal freedoms, i.e. our right to possess up to a quarter pound of marijuana in our homes. The last time there was a ruling was 04 Since then that ruling it has been challenged again but the supreme court said it was not ripe. Its ripe now and the aclu is all over it. A woman in barrow, I believe, with a history of drug dealing was charged for simple possession of a quarter ounce of marijuana. This has been going back and forth for 37 years.

I guess it helps to look before I open my big mouth. The supreme court rejected the case. Its only been looked at by the legislature and the court of appeals. I believe what will go in front of the supreme court is weather or not the legislature has the right to amend the amount of possession.
snippet
"we conclude that no adequate justification for the state's intrusion into the citizen's right to privacy by its prohibition of possession of marijuana by an adult for personal consumption in the home has been shown. The privacy of the individual's home cannot be breached absent a persuasive showing of a close and substantial relationship of the intrusion to a legitimate governmental interest. Here, mere scientific doubts will not suffice. The state must demonstrate a need based on proof that the public health or welfare will in fact suffer if the controls are not applied."

my quote button isnt working but this reply is meant for the OP:

there is no federal law or jurisdiction over possession of smaller amounts of weed in the several States. thats how it has been from forever. all federal charges for drugs or most anything else fall under "affecting or traveling through interstate commerce". so they arent "overlooking" anything, there just isnt any law on it and wont be.

nothing is "generally illegal" under any jurisdiction. usually more specific.

justalayman

my quote button isnt working but this reply is meant for the OP:

there is no federal law or jurisdiction over possession of smaller amounts of weed in the several States. thats how it has been from forever. all federal charges for drugs or most anything else fall under "affecting or traveling through interstate commerce". so they arent "overlooking" anything, there just isnt any law on it and wont be.

nothing is "generally illegal" under any jurisdiction. usually more specific.
so, let's see a citation that supports your claim. It is not determined by the amount. It is whether it can be tied to interstate commerce which is not difficult using the rules currently in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">