• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License was falsely designated sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbizkit12

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My drivers license was falsely flagged as a sex offender denying me and my daughter entry to the children’s hospital emergency room when I needed to bring her, causing embarrassment for the both of us. Once a background check was ran and confirmed that the flag on my license was incorrect by a called in supervisor, they allowed us in. I was told by ER security to call the DMV as this is in their system tied to my license and not the security teams software or database. I can’t get in touch with the DMV because they have never answered the phones and after contacting them through email, they were no help telling me I need to call them after I asked them to call me asap.

Were my rights violated? Does Louisiana actually designate drivers licenses as sex offender when scanned or is the software of the ER security team liable?
Ultimately, I want this wrongful designation off my record asap!

Bali Hai Again

The more I hear of cases like this the more I am convinced we will all be subject to these kinds of screw ups. Just wait until the artificial intelligence (AI) kicks in full swing!

Bali Hai Again

Reminds me of the Star Trek episode where the computer took over the Enterprise and Spock challenged the computer to calculate to the last digit of pi. The computer went bonkers and they were able to regain control of the ship.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My drivers license was falsely flagged as a sex offender denying me and my daughter entry to the children’s hospital emergency room when I needed to bring her, causing embarrassment for the both of us. Once a background check was ran and confirmed that the flag on my license was incorrect by a called in supervisor, they allowed us in. I was told by ER security to call the DMV as this is in their system tied to my license and not the security teams software or database. I can’t get in touch with the DMV because they have never answered the phones and after contacting them through email, they were no help telling me I need to call them after I asked them to call me asap.

Were my rights violated? Does Louisiana actually designate drivers licenses as sex offender when scanned or is the software of the ER security team liable?
Ultimately, I want this wrongful designation off my record asap!
Mistakes happen. Go to the DMV in person. Seriously - isn't it worth your time to sort out properly?

dbizkit12

Mistakes happen. Go to the DMV in person. Seriously - isn't it worth your time to sort out properly?
Yes I’m going to have to go get it sorted out (if it’s the DMV) and fingers don’t start pointing. My legal question is are there rights being violated. This shouldn’t happen and whoever is responsible needs to be held accountable to make sure this doesn’t continue to happen. I read this was a lawsuit in Florida in which they had to redesign the software to prevent this from being a simple human error.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes I’m going to have to go get it sorted out (if it’s the DMV) and fingers don’t start pointing. My legal question is are there rights being violated. This shouldn’t happen and whoever is responsible needs to be held accountable to make sure this doesn’t continue to happen. I read this was a lawsuit in Florida in which they had to redesign the software to prevent this from being a simple human error.
Then you need to prove it's a software error, I suspect.

Waaaaay back in the day, when my (ex)husband and I were trying to get him permanent residency in the US, we were called in for an appt at the consulate/embassy (I honestly don't remember which). They wanted to speak with each of us separately. Made sense. But imagine my surprise to be told that he was listed by Interpol as a sex offender! It took ages to sort out that it was actually a different person (common name with two different common spellings for the first name, same birthdate). But it was simply a mistake. Was it embarrassing? Sure. Was it something to sue over or get someone fired over? Nope. Not IMO.

dbizkit12

I’m not looking to sue for money or get someone fired. By trade I am a UI/UX designer and looking at the Florida case I was facisnated by the UI was set up easily for someone to click a drop down for a common flag and accidentally select sex offender. That is about the worst designation someone could be given, and it damages reputations. There has to be checks and balances within a system to prevent these things from happening so easily.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not making light of your concerns. I completely understand how angry and frustrated you must be, and I would feel the same in your shoes.

But no system is perfect, and errors happen. We do not live in a perfect world, and sometimes wrongs happen for which there is not a legal remedy.

bcr229

If you're a UI/UX designer then you know that no matter how idiot proof you try to make the front end of an application, a bigger idiot will come along. At least it's job security.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I’m not looking to sue for money or get someone fired. By trade I am a UI/UX designer and looking at the Florida case I was facisnated by the UI was set up easily for someone to click a drop down for a common flag and accidentally select sex offender. That is about the worst designation someone could be given, and it damages reputations. There has to be checks and balances within a system to prevent these things from happening so easily.
The bolded is the operative word.

Now - can you prove that this is something that has happened before or happened often? Or it is a one-off?

quincy

You are right that Florida’s Department of Motor Vehicles changed both its computer system and its procedures after there were reports of sexual predator labels being falsely applied to some drivers’ licenses.

Previously, the DMV’s drop-down menu had “organ donor” next to “sexual predator” in the menu list and wrong clicks by clerks caused the problem. Although applicants were told (and still are told) to check all of their information for accuracy, this one particular mistake was overlooked by the clerks and some applicants.

Now in Florida, clerks not only are working with a revamped system (new menu) but clerks are also now required to go over all of the information with the applicant to confirm its correct.

Here is a link to a story published in 2015 by News4JAX about the Florida DMV snafu: https://www.news4jax.com/news/2015/06/08/wrong-sex-predator-label-leads-to-dmv-changes/

If you and your daughter suffered nothing more than some embarrassment and an inconvenient delay at the hospital, you probably do not have enough to support a lawsuit. You instead should follow the advice of others and head to the DMV to have corrections made while you wait. You should be issued a temporary license and receive the corrected version in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">