• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License was falsely designated sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bali Hai Again

So the computer was programmed wrong? I’m betting if you asked the programmer, the answer is a resounding no. I have seen too many times where haphazard software is given to customers and then wait for customer complaints to improve it. This case is bad enough. When computers are controlling equipment that can crash or blow up it needs to be done right the FIRST time. “Glitches“ are not allowed!

Thankfully this wasn’t an armed and dangerous warrant for OP’s arrest with trigger happy cops serving it.

quincy

So the computer was programmed wrong? I’m betting if you asked the programmer, the answer is a resounding no. I have seen too many times where haphazard software is given to customers and then wait for customer complaints to improve it. This case is bad enough. When computers are controlling equipment that can crash or blow up it needs to be done right the FIRST time. “Glitches“ are not allowed!

Thankfully this wasn’t an armed and dangerous warrant for OP’s arrest with trigger happy cops serving it.
Rather than being programmed wrong, it sounds to me like the error in Louisiana was caused by the same menu list error that led to the Florida drivers being falsely labeled. Human error in entering data.

Bali Hai Again

Rather than being programmed wrong, it sounds to me like the error in Louisiana was caused by the same menu list error that led to the Florida drivers being falsely labeled. Human error in entering data.
Displaying the HMI graphic properly for the customer to interact with falls into programming. To the programmer putting your lunch request button next to the button that launches a nuke is no big deal. The stupid computer operator pressed the wrong button!

bcr229

Displaying the HMI graphic properly for the customer to interact with falls into programming. To the programmer putting your lunch request button next to the button that launches a nuke is no big deal. The stupid computer operator pressed the wrong button!
Just as cheap attorneys are usually more expensive in the long run, the same goes for IT. Most businesses and government agencies look at IT as an overhead cost so they spend as little on it as possible. So yes, a system whose requirements, design, implementation, testing, and release is handled by a low-budget low-bidder contractor will certainly have flaws and be more prone to user error, never mind back-end security data breaches. The result is issues like the OP experienced, and I'd bet he's not the only one.

quincy

... The result is issues like the OP experienced, and I'd bet he's not the only one.
The possibility that dbizkit12 is not alone in experiencing false labeling is probably a good reason for reporting the problem to Louisiana’s Office of State Inspector General. There is a greater chance of changes in DMV procedures or a revamping of the computer system if a lot of similar complaints are received by the OIG.

Here is a link to the OIG’s complaint form information and contact information:

http://oig.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=complaint&tmp=complaintform

Bali Hai Again

Just as cheap attorneys are usually more expensive in the long run, the same goes for IT. Most businesses and government agencies look at IT as an overhead cost so they spend as little on it as possible. So yes, a system whose requirements, design, implementation, testing, and release is handled by a low-budget low-bidder contractor will certainly have flaws and be more prone to user error, never mind back-end security data breaches. The result is issues like the OP experienced, and I'd bet he's not the only one.
Well said! I couldn’t begin to count how many times I heard “it’s a glitch” or “well you know, sometimes these computers have a mind of their own” from my IT Industrial Controls Engineer. My reply: “there will NO glitches or unexplained events that potentially could cause equipment to blowup on my watch, or YOURS!

quincy

Then yours is simply a hypothetical discussion and not appropriate for this particular forum.
Actually, I think it appropriate. The (seemingly similar) situation in Florida almost gave rise to a defamation claim and probably would have had Florida not recognized the error by the DMV clerk and the problem with their system and acted quickly to make corrections.

The solution here appears to be a visit to the DMV for a corrected license - and perhaps contact with the State to see if corrections need to be made so errors like this do not happen again.

Bali Hai Again

Actually, I think it appropriate. The (seemingly similar) situation in Florida almost gave rise to a defamation claim and probably would have had Florida not recognized the error by the DMV clerk and the problem with their system and acted quickly to make corrections.

The solution here appears to be a visit to the DMV for a corrected license - and perhaps contact with the State to see if corrections need to be made so errors like this do not happen again.
I agree that the “after the damage is done” solution is as you present. The ultimate solution lies far deeper than that. See bcr229’s above post.

quincy

Although hiring the lowest-bid workers for a project could wind up being more costly in the long run, paying more for workers does not necessarily translate into lower future costs. There are, in other words, better things to look at than cost when considering IT (or legal) needs.

Sinner215

No this just happened to me with the tx dps and i went to jail and everything after not being able to renew it online but it didnt say why, I go to to the dps and find out they falsely put a cso flag on me to where you have to renew it every year, wouldve never had to renew it. I went to prison for armed robbery for awhile so getting out and catching this bs is wild. Now theyve suspended my license after finally i thought getting it all fixed. I dont know what to do with them ath this point

Just Blue

No this just happened to me with the tx dps and i went to jail and everything after not being able to renew it online but it didnt say why, I go to to the dps and find out they falsely put a cso flag on me to where you have to renew it every year, wouldve never had to renew it. I went to prison for armed robbery for awhile so getting out and catching this bs is wild. Now theyve suspended my license after finally i thought getting it all fixed. I dont know what to do with them ath this point
Please don't hijack an old thread. You can start your own thread if you have questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">