• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying my child's father who owes back child support on our child to our state.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

msleigh

True, but Mom won't give two flying ferret farts about it at that point.

She'll be back here asking how to get money out of a turnip because Dad is too broke to pay her current support.
Why would you wish this upon my son? Why do you hope for my family to fail? What an awful person you are.

Antigone*

What I've been told repeatedly in this thread is apparently wrong, SIR. (I'm sorry took your b*tchy, female behavior to mean that you were a female. My bad.)

Apparently, there are exceptional cases (like my own), in which CSS occasionally forgives debt. Apparently, there are also programs which compromise with parents on a reduced amount of principle to be repaid. If you reread my very first post, you will see that these two useful bits of information are exactly what I was hoping to find out from posting here.

If you have the patience to go through the previous 70-something posts, you will see that I was told by a number of know-it-all's that there was no such program in existence anywhere in the universe, and there was no possibility in hell that the CSS would ever reduce or forgive my fiance's debt.

Well, the know-it-all's have been proven wrong. It seems l o o p h o l e s *do*, in fact, exist for certain, qualifying situations!

Do I expect that these know-it-all's will make any apologies for their misinformation, however? Of course not! That would be far too decent.

You are an idiot, and it is not a loophole. The compromise of arrears is to assist parents who have been reunified with their children through the courts. The collecting of arrears in those cases would be detrimental to the chilren if collected.

Yours is not a case of reunification. Yours is a case of a dead beat dad trying to get out of his obligation by shacking back up with his baby mama.

msleigh

It's not a wish.

It's not a hope.

It's simply a prediction.
Based on your own life, perhaps?

You don't know *anything* about my family.

How incredibly arrogant and hateful your "prediction" is.

Well, I *suspect* that you are an ugly, fat, lonely, hated person in your real life. Why else would you be so personally threatened by the idea of a happy, young family in existence somewhere? Are you "predicting" my family will fail because yours did?

I didn't come here asking for your "predictions" and "assumptions." I came here for information.

Proserpina

Based on your own life, perhaps?

You don't know *anything* about my family.

How incredibly arrogant and hateful your "prediction" is.

Well, I *suspect* that you are an ugly, fat, lonely, hated person in your real life. Why else would you be so personally threatened by the idea of a happy, young family in existence somewhere? Are you "predicting" my family will fail because yours did?

I didn't come here asking for your "predictions" and "assumptions." I came here for information.

LOL hardly.

Perfectly happy with my family, thanks! Now, do yourself - and the rest of us - a favor and lock your thread.

Antigone*

LOL hardly.

Perfectly happy with my family, thanks! Now, do yourself - and the rest of us - a favor and lock your thread.
I CALL TROLL

This one can't be real. She would have already been standing at her local child support office getting the information she needs in order get the compromise for arrears started.

Since she is not and she is here getting her jollies going back and forth, that can only mean one thing ~ TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tigi ~ out:cool:

tigi back ~ :p

Tigi needs to know how the Greek princess loves her new Temperpedic???

tigi back out ~ :cool:

Mnemosyne

Should we expect, then, that you will return to post the outcome should the reviewers determine that yours is not a qualifying situation?

What I've been told repeatedly in this thread is apparently wrong, SIR. (I'm sorry took your b*tchy, female behavior to mean that you were a female. My bad.)

Apparently, there are exceptional cases (like my own), in which CSS occasionally forgives debt. Apparently, there are also programs which compromise with parents on a reduced amount of principle to be repaid. If you reread my very first post, you will see that these two useful bits of information are exactly what I was hoping to find out from posting here.

If you have the patience to go through the previous 70-something posts, you will see that I was told by a number of know-it-all's that there was no such program in existence anywhere in the universe, and there was no possibility in hell that the CSS would ever reduce or forgive my fiance's debt.

Well, the know-it-all's have been proven wrong. It seems l o o p h o l e s *do*, in fact, exist for certain, qualifying situations!

Do I expect that these know-it-all's will make any apologies for their misinformation, however? Of course not! That would be far too decent.

Frankly, I can't believe this thread has gone on so long. This woman is obviously either a troll or so far off her rocker that nothing anyone could say will convince her of the legal truth.

milspecgirl

and imagine the look on her face when they tell her that dad doesn't qualify. The program is for parents who TRIED to pay the support but fell behind because they couldn't make the entire payment due to no fault of their own (accident, layoff).

They wont forgive arrears if dad did not show that he tried to pay something steadily. In other words- history has to show that he tried to do the right thing all along by paying towards his obligation.

Since you have never answered the question of whether he ever paid anything towards it monthly, we have to assume that he didn't. Therefore, he has no history of TRYING to do the right thing. Therefore, he shouldn't be eligible.

And, I'm a state employee FORCED to take days off WITHOUT PAY (impacting feeding and housing MY children) so that the system you are trying to cheat out of money can stay afloat and pay for other people's children. However, my ex actually cares about his children and will continue to help support them so that I dont have to ask the taxpayers to help.

CSO286

It is not a loophole.....Arrears management program exist in most states, all with the same/similar purpose: To help the ncp reduce the principal when his initial order was set unfairly high through no fault of his own, accident, job loss, injury, or incorrect infomation.

A good example of this is as follows:
Not to terribly long ago, when a custodial parent went on cash assistance, the child support unit established a suuport order based solely on the amount of cash assistance CP was receiving.

CP and 3 kids:
CP's Grant: $825 + medical
NCP order: $825 + $50 (per child) med support
Without taking into account that the NCP only made $1200/mth.

Now, based on CCPA (Consumer Credit Protection Act), the state is only permitted to take 55-65% of NCP income to pay towards child support obligation, resulting in the NCP digging himself into a hole, and accruing a substantial arrears balance, even while he's paying.

Now, OP, back to the original question that has been asked of you over and over again: Has your Ex paid any child support on his own? (NOT counting the bank levies and refund intercepts?)
This will be a determining factor in deciding whether or not your ex's arrears will be compromised in any way.
If he never made any voluntary payments, he'll probably be told something like: "Make $xxx.xx timely and regular payments for a year. After that, this office will evaulate (not guaruntee) the case for any COAP actions."

Last edited:

Proserpina

I CALL TROLL

This one can't be real. She would have already been standing at her local child support office getting the information she needs in order get the compromise for arrears started.

Since she is not and she is here getting her jollies going back and forth, that can only mean one thing ~ TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tigi ~ out:cool:

tigi back ~ :p

tigi back out ~ :cool:

Lurvin' it!

:D :cool:

mistoffolees

OT - I'm not Greek, nor a princess, and I hate to stick my nose into someone else's thread, but I have a Tempurpedic - type mattress (different manufacturer, about 1/2 the price, but same warranty and seems to be great quality) - and I love it. I sleep better than I ever did before. If you're looking at one, I'd highly recommend it.

Antigone*

OT - I'm not Greek, nor a princess, and I hate to stick my nose into someone else's thread, but I have a Tempurpedic - type mattress (different manufacturer, about 1/2 the price, but same warranty and seems to be great quality) - and I love it. I sleep better than I ever did before. If you're looking at one, I'd highly recommend it.
Nope, but Pro got one. I've got a Stearns and Foster and I'm lurvin it too:)

Lunch time, peeps, gotta keeps them banker's hours you know. I bet this thread will still be around when I get back.

You know, when I was on state aid when my oldest was first born (she is now almost 16), I was working, and I was also going to school. I was not with daughter's Dad. He was a full time college student, and still, the courts ordered him to pay towards support. I got $48 per month. Now, obviously not even enough to pay for diapers, but you know what my point is? HE PAID IT.

Your guy paid nothing unless it was taken out of a bank account or out of tax refund. NOTHING. Zip, nada. He just decided, on his own, it was too much to pay. So he paid NOTHING. The state, and the taxpayers of that state, supported his child.

I get it...he couldn't afford that much. But he is in this position not because your state is a big ol' mean state, but because he did NOTHING. He didn't try proper channels to protest the amount, he ignored it. He made ZERO effort to support his own child. The only reason that doesn't matter to you now is he "luvs you and you are a family!"

Guess what? I don't even like my ex. And I still recognize that he TRIED. Your ex did zilch, he is in a bed of his own making, and dragging you down with him. No money for rent? HIS FAULT. ONLY HIS. He could have made an effort, but even now, it isn't him on here trying to get info, it is you. See a pattern of him doing nothing? First he lets you figure out how to support your joint child, now he is letting you figure out how to clean up the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">