• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massive Power Surge related to Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moburkes

The payout by the insurance company is based on percentages. Since the utilities suffered the most losses ($ wise), they will receive the bulk of the property damage coverage.

Each homeowner is a separate claimant.

ecmst12

NO ONE will be made whole. Prorating is done by the amount of damage done, regardless of whether an individual or a company. They will take the total amount of all claims, then figure out what percentage each claim represents. Then they will divide the amount of coverage available according to those percentages. Say there were $200k in claims. Your $200 claim represents 1% of the total damage, so you could get 1% of the policy, or $30. The person with the $55k house fire would represent 27.5% of the total damage, so they would get 27.5% of the policy, or $8250. If their loss was covered by their insurance, it would be between the homeowner and the insurance company to decide whether the homeowner would get any of their deductible back out of that small settlement - it would be treated as one claim by the auto insurance company. If the power company had $100k in damages, they would get $15k of the policy. Make sense?

HankJS

I wish I could engage those here who insist the POCO's liability is bulletproof in another forum.

I received my tape of the television news coverage of the accident. It has the clearest image of the pole damage as any court could ask for. When I looked at the replaced pole, it simply didn't look like what I remembered to be there before the accident and I was right. The local grid drop for our community was on that pole at the time of the accident, but now it's not.

Not only did they replace the broken pole, they moved the drop for our community grid 2 poles down the line to a pole that sits 25' back from traffic, rather than on the curb as it was before the accident.

There were circuit breakers protecting the drop to our grid. But the way the HiV line fell across the LoV line, The short occurred beyond the reach of the breakers thereby offering no above ground protection, from current, from voltage before entering the local grid.

Why in the world would the POCO, under emergency conditions, at night, decide to rearrange the entire service configuration to our local grid?? Before the topic gets locked, I'd be happy to continue this matter off forum at [email protected] I can't post the pictures here.

Isn't this sort of like removing your footprints from the area where a crime was committed?

HankJS

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seems to me that it could have been done in order to restore electricity to the community faster.

HankJS

Seems to me that it could have been done in order to restore electricity to the community faster.
To reconfigure 3 poles and string a new 3 wire circuit across a busy 4 lane highway, I doubt it. If it was done to by-pass underground cable damage on the fly, that's great. But since the POCO and the PSC won't answer questions, I'm left to my own conclusions as I look at the new installation.

HankJS

HankJS

Just had an unscheduled visit from a Verizon technician to check out their equipment in my basement that takes the fiber optic signal and converts it to digital and analog signals for my TV, computer and phone. They've had to replace only 2 of those installation @ $1500/each.
These checks are for insurance purposes.

So far, they've replaced 386 digital TV boxes and 61 routers all because of 1 automobile accident.

I have a feeling Verizon damages are going to exceed the POCO.

HankJS

"Life comes at you fast..."

HankJS

Regarding my personal claim against the driver's insurance. Everything has to be documented with regards to replacement cost. The carrier dutifully informed me that payouts will be based on actual cash value of the damaged items ( subject to on site inspection,) and prorated against my percentage of the overall total damage adjusted to the policy's total PD coverage.

The adjuster said there are at least 650 claims in to date. Instead of pennies on the dollar, how about mils on the dollar.

HankJS

HankJS

Exactly. ESPECIALLY since we told him this previously, but he INSISTS upon continuing his investigation.
Tell me, chief, what's wrong with that?

I'm hoping others reading this thread and my lambasting by several here for "not getting it." appreciate that someone is taking the time to perhaps make sure the utility did conform to industry standards and just on of those little things you have to put up with when you use electricity. I don't think the last two to respond in this thread have the credentials to know if the utility met those standards, though speak as they do.

If my efforts through state regulatory agencies creates a little more public safety, I'll be more than happy.

HankJS

moburkes

First of all, no entity, person, company, whatever, can prepare for every single POSSIBLE situation that MIGHT happen. Period.

You asked your questions in an auto insurance forum. We answered your auto insurance questions, and you even had an electrician discuss this with you.

If you want to have a discussion about a utility, then go find a utility forum.

HankJS

Nationwide..."We're on your side..."

Deductibles, rainy day exclusions, cash values, prorating, exorbitant profits. Insurance, what a friggin' joke and guess who it's on! Twelve hundred bucks plus a year and all it does is satisfy the state requirement to carry a piece of paper in the glove box. 55 years of driving, not one claimable accident. That's a lot of money down the river.

I submitted a claim for 4 surge protectors and one VCR, maybe $250 at full list replacement value.

I get a letter today from Nationwide. Sorry, the surge protectors did what they were supposed to do, no claim value. What kind of twisted logic is that?

Oh, that VCR, take it to a qualified service tech and get a written statement on what caused its demise. Forget the burned cord and noxious burned smell when you come anywhere near it. It cost me $65 new. A service call without an attached repair job, $85.

We all should chip in, rent a dumpster, put it in the community park, throw all this junk into it and ship it off to Nationwide. Forget the claims and let Nationwide pay for the disposal.

HankJS

alnorth

Why do you bother paying for fire insurance on your home? If you havent had it burn down, thats money your throwing away, right? To claim that your insurance payments were wasted is stupid, unless you have several million dollars laying around ready to pay the other drivers if you get into a few at-fault horrible accidents.

If you disagree with their assessment that the surge protectors arent covered and that you would need to have the torched VCR inspected, then just take the driver to small claims court. If you win, you'll get your pro-rated few bucks from the insurance and try to collect the rest out of the driver's hide. A lawsuit threat may encourage them to settle, since it would be cheaper for them to just pay you off to go away on your pro-rated share of the coverage than to defend their driver, even if they are right.

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

Why do you bother paying for fire insurance on your home? If you havent had it burn down, thats money your throwing away, right? To claim that your insurance payments were wasted is stupid, unless you have several million dollars laying around ready to pay the other drivers if you get into a few at-fault horrible accidents.

If you disagree with their assessment that the surge protectors arent covered and that you would need to have the torched VCR inspected, then just take the driver to small claims court. If you win, you'll get your pro-rated few bucks from the insurance and try to collect the rest out of the driver's hide. A lawsuit threat may encourage them to settle, since it would be cheaper for them to just pay you off to go away on your pro-rated share of the coverage than to defend their driver, even if they are right.
That made no sense .

HankJS

Why do you bother paying for fire insurance on your home? If you havent had it burn down, thats money your throwing away, right?
It costs me 4 years of homeowners insurance to buy one year of auto insurance

Homeowner claims in 30 years = $1600 (builder's crappy water service installation caused flood)
Auto claims in 40 years = $0

HankJS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">