• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My degree is not accepted by Gov Organization its for and the school knew it wouldn't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anonymouse319

I apologize for using the wrong terminology. I incorrectly assumed that the attorney I would be dealing with would be from the US. The GMC recognizes schools listed on the Avicenna Directory of Medicine, of which St. Matthews is and was at the time.

Proserpina

I apologize for using the wrong terminology. I incorrectly assumed that the attorney I would be dealing with would be from the US. The GMC recognizes schools listed on the Avicenna Directory of Medicine, of which St. Matthews is and was at the time.

Recognises, perhaps. Accredits? No.

Now, which US body accredited your school?

Please don't make me play dentist - I'm not very good, and I don't have anaesthesia available! (Other than a whack to the head, but I'm pretty sure that's not legal in the US)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums. :cool:

Proserpina

The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums. :cool:

Oh...snap.

I thought OP was referring to an attorney s/he had spoken with prior to joining the site.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Looking for an attorney? You can go to the home page at www.freeadvice.com and click on the Ask a Lawyer link (or, simply go to www.freeadvice.com/law-questions which is a direct link)

Anonymouse319

St. Matthews is accredited by the Accreditation Commission of Colleges of Medicine, a recognized accrediting agency listed in the FAIMER Directory of Organizations that Recognize/Accredit Medical Schools and is approved by the New York State Education Department, the Florida Department of Education's Commission for Independent Education, for the purpose of providing clinical rotations in those states and is listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory.

Since relocating to it's current location, it has always been on the Avicenna Directory of Medical Schools accepted by the GMC as meeting the primary medical qualifications necessary for entrance into the Foundation Programme. Since the GMC does not have an accreditation body, being on the Avicenna Directory is only listed acceptable primary medical qualification the GMC has for foreign medical graduates.

Proserpina

St. Matthews is accredited by the Accreditation Commission of Colleges of Medicine, a recognized accrediting agency listed in the FAIMER Directory of Organizations that Recognize/Accredit Medical Schools and is approved by the New York State Education Department, the Florida Department of Education's Commission for Independent Education, for the purpose of providing clinical rotations in those states and is listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory.

Since relocating to it's current location, it has always been on the Avicenna Directory of Medical Schools accepted by the GMC as meeting the primary medical qualifications necessary for entrance into the Foundation Programme. Since the GMC does not have an accreditation body, being on the Avicenna Directory is only listed acceptable primary medical qualification the GMC has for foreign medical graduates.

Sigh.

You aren't reading at all, are you?

Sorry, I'll edit:

You didn't read up on this AT ALL before you registered, did you?

Anonymouse319

Sorry, clarification: We have an attorney in the UK who helped us appeal to the GMC. Yes, I understand that the advice on this forum is not to be assumed from an attorney.

Thank you for your help. I've spent more money than I'll ever be worth on a medical education that, at this point in time, is completely worthless for it's intended purposes. I am at the end of my rope on this and it shows...

Anonymouse319

Alright, I'm clearly an idiot today. I was just told I have no chance of ever using my hard-earned medical degree in the country it is meant for.

Yes, it is accredited in the US by the Accreditation Commission of Colleges of Medicine. No, it is not accredited in the UK, but it is on the Avicenna Directory for Medicine which is the only criteria listed by the GMC as being acceptable to primary medical qualifications.

Please, call me whatever you want, but tell me what I'm missing here because I'm just not getting it.

Proserpina

Do you actually understand what the Avicenna Directory of Medicine is? :confused:

Did you read this? :confused:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp

Anonymouse319

Yes, but it is the only authority on schools such as mine (St. Matthews is also on the FAIMER list and the WFME). And since it is the only thing listed by the GMC as acceptable primary medical qualifications, I don't see how it's not the authority. I see where you are going with this, but I think that it is a reasonable assumption that a school who has been constantly accepted under that same criteria for years before and years after my completion should have also been in compliance during my graduation. Also, to be a medical school who lists the UK as a country in which their MDs are accepted, to have students not accepted because they are not complaint can hardly be blamed on those graduating students.

Proserpina

Yes, but it is the only authority on schools such as mine (St. Matthews is also on the FAIMER list and the WFME). And since it is the only thing listed by the GMC as acceptable primary medical qualifications, I don't see how it's not the authority. I see where you are going with this, but I think that it is a reasonable assumption that a school who has been constantly accepted under that same criteria for years before and years after my completion should have also been in compliance during my graduation. Also, to be a medical school who lists the UK as a country in which their MDs are accepted, to have students not accepted because they are not complaint can hardly be blamed on those graduating students.

At this point, all I can say is:

Pay an attorney.

And if an attorney won't take your case? You don't have a case.

Anonymouse319

I've shown what I have to several attorneys who gleefully wanted to accept my case until I told them that all I wanted was the school to correct the letter it sends to the GMC as per the GMC's request. They want me to sue the school; I just want to practice medicine. My hope was that by sending the letter that I originally posted, the school would do the right thing and comply. Since I'm completely out of money and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, I don't have the money to have any one official correct it for legaleses or content, I was hoping that someone here would. I understand that if the letter doesn't work, I have no choice but to go down the lawsuit road, but it's not something I'm really excited about doing. All I want to do is practice medicine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">