• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My degree is not accepted by Gov Organization its for and the school knew it wouldn't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

I graduated several years ago from a college with a degree that was supposed to be good in certain countries. This last week, after months of paid lawyer fees in that country, I received the last denial to acceptance in the program for which my degree was supposed to be good for. The reason given to me was because my transcript did not meet the countries guidelines as too much of my credit was done in the US and not abroad (it’s supposed to be 50/50) and that my college was previously warned that if they graduated people using the classes they told me to take, they wouldn't be accepted. The government organization that I've been talking with did say that if my school would resubmit my transcript with the corrected hours, they would reconsider – which I did months ago (before I learned that the school had prior knowledge of what would happen to their students like me) and was denied. Given that I now have, in writing from the government of the country they are supposed to be certifying for, that the school knew, I tried to write a letter saying that I’m going to get a lawyer and sue if they don’t just do what the government asked and resubmit my transcript with the corrected hours. Below is my letter:

Dear XXX

My attorney just received the final denial of our appeal from XXX, Director of XXX, at the XXX. Again the XXX found that my degree, "does not meet the acceptability criteria agreed by our Council." According to that same ruling body, “XXX are aware of our criteria, and what they would mean for a student who had been allowed to graduate in his circumstances.” They then left the door open for the school to resubmit with the corrected information.

Given that the XXX was clear in repeatedly placing the liability on the school for knowingly not meeting their criteria, I would like to once again request that XXX revisit correcting the letter submitted to the XXX to reflect that the time I spent in XXX is greater than or equal to the educational time spent in XXX in the US. I have no choice but to follow this through to its end and hope that the school is willing to send the corrected letter so that we may all put this behind us before it becomes a matter of public interest.

I would appreciate a written and prompt response as to whether or not XXX is willing to send the corrected letter.

Sincerely,

I’m sure I messed up my legalese and am not sure if this is coming off as it should. I have spent a small fortune on lawyers in this other country and just want to use the degree that I spent years working on and will spend the next decade paying off. What should I add, take away, rephrase, etc. to make this more credible? I don’t have a US attorney yet, know that I will probably need one if this doesn't work, and have already spend my entire life savings getting this degree.

Any legal help or advice you can offer would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Help with a legal letter I writing to my college after finding out my degree doesn't meet the minimum criteria of the governing body it is supposed to be for and that they knew it wouldn't beforehand.
I wonder why you finished your degree several years ago, but are only recently attempting to practice medicine?

I wonder other stuff, too, but will start with that.

Anonymouse319

I took time off to have a child directly after school. The process with the GMC started this summer and has added to this time.

By gleeful I mean, "You definitely have a case and I would love to represent you." I assume that is as gleeful as an attorney gets. The two attorneys that I talked to seemed only to be interested in filing suit against the school.

Proserpina

I took time off to have a child directly after school. The process with the GMC started this summer and has added to this time.

By gleeful I mean, "You definitely have a case and I would love to represent you." I assume that is as gleeful as an attorney gets. The two attorneys that I talked to seemed only to be interested in filing suit against the school.

They're blowing you off, I'm afraid.

Anonymouse319

Then I wish they would stop emailing me about filing suit.

Would anyone please critique my letter and tell me what I've done write or wrong? I understand that my next step is to sue, but I have to try everything I can before doing that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Then I wish they would stop emailing me about filing suit.

Would anyone please critique my letter and tell me what I've done write or wrong? I understand that my next step is to sue, but I have to try everything I can before doing that.
Here's the deal.

A lawsuit is about money. Plain and simple. You sue for money. Sure, you can settle for something different down the road, but you'll still need to pay the attorney real money.

Anonymouse319

Yes, I understand it is about money and that is my next course of action. My hope was to write a letter to the school, who is aware of my situation, stating that the GMC blamed them, told me that the school had been previously warned that this would happen, and that, since I was armed with this information in writing, would reconsider resubmitting the letter corrected in the way the GMC recommended. I'm clearly not a lawyer, but I would assume that resubmitting a letter is much easier to deal with than a lawsuit from someone with proof that a medical school is/was knowingly conferring degrees not accepted by one of the countries where they claim to be accepted.

Zigner

Yes, I understand it is about money and that is my next course of action. My hope was to write a letter to the school, who is aware of my situation, stating that the GMC blamed them, told me that the school had been previously warned that this would happen, and that, since I was armed with this information in writing, would reconsider resubmitting the letter corrected in the way the GMC recommended. I'm clearly not a lawyer, but I would assume that resubmitting a letter is much easier to deal with than a lawsuit from someone with proof that a medical school is/was knowingly conferring degrees not accepted by one of the countries where they claim to be accepted.
Sure, send a letter. But, if they refuse, your next step is a lawsuit. Don't try to get all fancy and use big words...just put it in laymen's terms.

Keep in mind that any lawsuit that you file to try to force them to do something will fail. Why? Because the statute of limitations for "specific performance" is 1 year.

Depending on how long ago this actually happened, you may be out of luck for money damages too...

Zigner

Thank you.

Any advice on the letter I wrote? Is it layman enough?
I don't have all the details - there is no way I can advise.

If the school has already refused to do what you have asked, I don't think a letter from you is going to help at all. Particularly since you are not even in the country.

ecmst12

I still think your biggest issue is that you want your school to issue a statement that is false! Does no one else see this problem?

I think the best way for you to solve the problem, is to find out what additional classes you need to take or what hours you need to accrue outside the US to meet the criteria, and do that.

Anonymouse319

I already graduated with an MD, so there is no way to go back and take more classes in the right location.

Also, I'm not asking them to change my transcript, only the way it is calculated to match the way in which the GMC calculates the totals. The So school's way of calculating my transcript is the old, no longer approved way.

So you don't think that, now that I have the written proof that the GMC previously warned the school what would happen and that the school still didn't comply, they would change their mind to avoid the obvious lawsuit?

Zigner

I already graduated with an MD, so there is no way to go back and take more classes in the right location.

Also, I'm not asking them to change my transcript, only the way it is calculated to match the way in which the GMC calculates the totals. The So school's way of calculating my transcript is the old, no longer approved way.

So you don't think that, now that I have the written proof that the GMC previously warned the school what would happen and that the school still didn't comply, they would change their mind to avoid the obvious lawsuit?
The "obvious lawsuit" is one that no attorney will take :rolleyes:

Anonymouse319

Out of curiosity, does anyone here ever give out helpful advice or was this site a joke set up by attorneys to frustrate people to the point of seeking professional legal representation?

Either way, you win. I'll call the attorney back and ask him if he'll take payments.

Zigner

Out of curiosity, does anyone here ever give out helpful advice or was this site a joke set up by attorneys to frustrate people to the point of seeking professional legal representation?

Either way, you win. I'll call the attorney back and ask him if he'll take payments.
I'm sorry that you didn't get the answers you wanted. I'm also sorry that you have not learned that the correct answer is not always the "answer you want to hear."

IMPORTANT NOTICE
FreeAdvice.com has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding information and "advice" free since 1995 with thousands of professionally prepared and reviewed articles, questions and answers in more than 100 categories in the Question and Answer pages at FreeAdvice.com. THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS AND OTHER FORUM PAGES WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM and are provided AS IS. The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums. Use of the Forums is subject to our Disclaimer and our Terms and Conditions of use which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum is never a substitute for personal advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com. Copyright since 1995 by Advice Company. All Rights Reserved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">