• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step-mom rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

faithnlve

You should read my posts. You signing permission slips for school trips, even attending parent teacher conferences is ok. That just shows you care about your husbands child. BUT, do not step on mom's toes, do NOT try and take her place, do NOT keep mom out of any information involving her child. You also do not, and I emphasize DO NOT, sign anything that the parent is suppose to sign. It shows dad as not being involved enough, and it shows you undermining the other parents role. You have no legal authority to do so, and it misrepresents what your role actually is with your husbands child. You as a step parent have no rights to your step child. Mom has more rights than you whether she has any custody or not. Faith

greeneyesburn

step-parents

:eek: Actually step-parents have rights - Im in Texas and I signed a paper giving the hospital authorization to see my step-daughter - Her dad was there but he had to take her twin sister outside to my mom. She has a huge Cyst on her back and her mom never told us- so we took her to the ER is was the size of a golfball and they let me sign as a step-parent. But a step-parent can put step-children on health ins and seek medical treatment - I know its not illegal at all- I think both Biological parents should be involved and at this time the mother of the girls should inform us of these issue.
I will say one thing I dont think a step-parent should physically punish a child ,No and I will never do so- I am a their Parent Not their Mother and there is a difference but you are still a Parent who needs to be recognized and resprected if so. I hope that any step-parent who goes into that role shall have respect for the kids and their parents and thats not always the case and I agree that you can love ur step-children and just b/c u have probs with the ex by no means mean u will take it out on the children. Mybe some screwed up people do but not normal people with a consience dont.. :) but to the Person who asked what rights you have you do. There is a line to be crossed but looking out for the best interest of the kids is what you are doing and if dads not there to sign the paper and he needs it then and there thats fine- unless the court order says u cant. Hope this helps. And as long as the school is not problematic with the signing of papers just for permission should not be an issue.[/FONT]

CJane

:eek: Actually step-parents have rights - Im in Texas and I signed a paper giving the hospital authorization to see my step-daughter - Her dad was there but he had to take her twin sister outside to my mom. She has a huge Cyst on her back and her mom never told us- so we took her to the ER is was the size of a golfball and they let me sign as a step-parent. But a step-parent can put step-children on health ins and seek medical treatment - I know its not illegal at all- I think both Biological parents should be involved and at this time the mother of the girls should inform us of these issue.
I will say one thing I dont think a step-parent should physically punish a child ,No and I will never do so- I am a their Parent Not their Mother and there is a difference but you are still a Parent who needs to be recognized and resprected if so. I hope that any step-parent who goes into that role shall have respect for the kids and their parents and thats not always the case and I agree that you can love ur step-children and just b/c u have probs with the ex by no means mean u will take it out on the children. Mybe some screwed up people do but not normal people with a consience dont.. :) but to the Person who asked what rights you have you do. There is a line to be crossed but looking out for the best interest of the kids is what you are doing and if dads not there to sign the paper and he needs it then and there thats fine- unless the court order says u cant. Hope this helps. And as long as the school is not problematic with the signing of papers just for permission should not be an issue.[/FONT]

Wow. Just... wow.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Try translating that into normal English, eh? And no, stepparents do NOT have parental rights.

Will these people ever learn??? :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
:eek: Actually step-parents have rights -
Ummm, LEGALLY no they don't. So shhhhushhhh. NOW.

Im in Texas and I signed a paper giving the hospital authorization to see my step-daughter -
Really? And did they know you were ONLY the stepparent and had no legal authority to authorize treatment? Oh yeah. Probably not. Because legally you do not have the authority to get treatment for a child who is not your own.

Her dad was there but he had to take her twin sister outside to my mom. She has a huge Cyst on her back and her mom never told us- so we took her to the ER is was the size of a golfball and they let me sign as a step-parent.
Nope. Sorry. They knew you were the stepparent? You signed on the stepparent line?

But a step-parent can put step-children on health ins and seek medical treatment - I know its not illegal at all-
No one said that was illegal. No one at all. As a matter of fact a stepparent may be able to add a stepchild to their medical insurance if their insurance company allows it.

I think both Biological parents should be involved and at this time the mother of the girls should inform us of these issue.
You think huh? Ummm, the mother should not inform YOU of anything. Mother should inform father and father should inform mother but stepparent needs NO one to inform them.

I will say one thing I dont think a step-parent should physically punish a child ,No and I will never do so-
Your thoughts have no legal bearing. You do know that, right?
I am a their Parent Not their Mother and there is a difference but you are still a Parent who needs to be recognized and resprected if so.
No you are not a parent. YOU are the spouse of a parent. YOu have the right to be respected as an adult in the house the child is in. That is all. But not a parent.

I hope that any step-parent who goes into that role shall have respect for the kids and their parents and thats not always the case and I agree that you can love ur step-children and just b/c u have probs with the ex by no means mean u will take it out on the children.
Text speak? How old are you?

Mybe some screwed up people do but not normal people with a consience dont.. :) but to the Person who asked what rights you have you do.
let's start again -- LEGALLY a stepparent has NO rights. NONE. ZIP. Zilch. Zero. Want to watch a hospital get sued quickly? Let mom disagree with you securing treatment for her little girl. YOU and the hospital will get sued. The hospital will lose. And you will find YOURSELF reprimanded by the court. At minimum.

There is a line to be crossed but looking out for the best interest of the kids is what you are doing and if dads not there to sign the paper and he needs it then and there thats fine- unless the court order says u cant.
Bull. Unless you have a power of attorney to secure medical treatment then you cannot legally secure nonemergency treatment. And I do not mean ER treatment. I mean emergency as in life or death treatment.

Hope this helps.
It so doesn't. Because legall you are wrong.

And as long as the school is not problematic with the signing of papers just for permission should not be an issue.
Please stop typing. Please stop giving "advice". Please. just. stop.

greeneyesburn

Addition

Ya know... this question is asked at LEAST 10 times a week. Is it truly THAT difficult to search previous posts? Then you'll wonder why Sr posters get annoyed.

Quite frankly, you are no one to this child besides his father's wife. Get over it.

I find this to be very untrue- My husband was raised by his Step-mom and father and he sees his Step-Mom as His Mother - why i dont know? But sometimes there are bonds between people such as a step-parents and step-parents are who kids can go to, like an aunt or uncle when mom & dad are "like so annoying" ..they are parents too...
A class for CO-OP parenting is very beneficial to anyone who thinks otherwise.

I have literally seen and BIO_MOM and BIO_DAD came in with each of their spouses and the Bio-DAD brought in his wifes ex;s mother and also her ex- they all get along so well it makes you want to cry - all the children can go to anyones home and be ok and not scared to say anything wrong.. Its like a movie but all so real and you see that & want that too- and it will always start with you whether you are mom or step-mom u both are raising these children why not at LEAST try together...make it all about the kids- right thats why ur fighting over the babies- they dont deserve to be scared to go to mom or dads house b.c mom or dad talks bad about the step-parents and that child fears them and doesnt even want to go there..And ur job is to keep ur kids safe but now ur making them FEEL unsafe- thats not fair.:0

I find this to be very untrue- My husband was raised by his Step-mom and father and he sees his Step-Mom as His Mother - why i dont know? But sometimes there are bonds between people such as a step-parents and step-parents are who kids can go to, like an aunt or uncle when mom & dad are "like so annoying" ..they are parents too...
A class for CO-OP parenting is very beneficial to anyone who thinks otherwise.

I have literally seen and BIO_MOM and BIO_DAD came in with each of their spouses and the Bio-DAD brought in his wifes ex;s mother and also her ex- they all get along so well it makes you want to cry - all the children can go to anyones home and be ok and not scared to say anything wrong.. Its like a movie but all so real and you see that & want that too- and it will always start with you whether you are mom or step-mom u both are raising these children why not at LEAST try together...make it all about the kids- right thats why ur fighting over the babies- they dont deserve to be scared to go to mom or dads house b.c mom or dad talks bad about the step-parents and that child fears them and doesnt even want to go there..And ur job is to keep ur kids safe but now ur making them FEEL unsafe- thats not fair.:0
OMG!! Just stop typing! You are not a parent! Step-parents.....have no rights! Get it through your head. These are not your children to raise. That is up to their parents!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I find this to be very untrue- My husband was raised by his Step-mom and father and he sees his Step-Mom as His Mother
Tell you what, post something that shows that a step-mom is equal (LEGALLY) to a biological mother. You won't be able to.
This is a legal advice board - you should stop making posts based on your own personal emotions that have absolutely nothing to do with the legality of things.

Silverplum

This is NOT an emotional discussion site. This is not a stepparent support site, nor any other type of support site.

This is a LEGAL site, and legally, stepparents have no legal rights. Can't make it much plainer than that...and if you keep posting your nonsense, you will be outed as a dimwit. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You signing permission slips for school trips...is ok
Faith - that is NOT true. As a step-parent alone, one has no legal right to waive the rights of someone else's child.

There ARE things that can be done that would allow it...but just marrying the bio-parent doesn't allow it.

faithnlve

First you are not 'THEIR" parent...you are neither their mom or dad. Secondly, thirdly, etc etc and so on and so forth....you are nothing but a legal stranger whom married a man whom has an ex wife, whom he slept with, had sex with, and produced a child with, and this is the house that the ex built. You are stuck for life with mom mom mom. You can try to have rights to her child, you can try to get dad to help you....but guess what....moms don't go away.(either do dads for that matter). You step on the Lioness toes when it comes to her cub, or over step your boundaries, CHOMP, you get the point? Learn to live with those facts. You married an already made family. Here comes new wife sitting in a tree K..I..S..S..I..N..G....first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes new spouse, mom/dad, and their baby in an already made family. You don't count legally when it comes to already made baby....Faith

faithnlve

Faith - that is NOT true. As a step-parent alone, one has no legal right to waive the rights of someone else's child.

There ARE things that can be done that would allow it...but just marrying the bio-parent doesn't allow it.
Wow, good to know. That was not what my son's school told me. That since dad has custody he can say its ok for the step to sign in his place. Faith

Shay-Pari'e

I find it odd that she signed anything. Her profile say's she is "Soon to be married".

greeneyesburn
Last Activity: Today 10:25 AM
Replying to Thread step-mom rights? @ 10:25 AM

Add greeneyesburn to Your Buddy List Add greeneyesburn to Your Ignore List

Forum Info Contact Info
PostsTotal Posts: 2 (2 posts per day)
Find all posts by greeneyesburn
Find all threads started by greeneyesburn
Home Page:
http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/BACKINBITCH

Instant Messaging TEXASTRBL03

Additional Information Group Memberships
Biography:
Soon to be Married.. back In Texas after Living in North Carolina for 9 months and missing traveling.. :) My family is my Life oh dear..
Interests:
Movies, Outdoors, Horseback riding, reading, winter, Foods, football, Music..
CSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">