• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step-mom rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverplum

Wow, good to know. That was not what my son's school told me. That since dad has custody he can say its ok for the step to sign in his place. Faith
Quit being obtuse, Faith. Giving country-wide "advice" based upon what a school (official) told you is simply ridiculous.

From where did your son's school get its law degree? :rolleyes:

greeneyesburn

Ummm, LEGALLY no they don't. So shhhhushhhh. NOW.

Really? And did they know you were ONLY the stepparent and had no legal authority to authorize treatment? Oh yeah. Probably not. Because legally you do not have the authority to get treatment for a child who is not your own.

Nope. Sorry. They knew you were the stepparent? You signed on the stepparent line?

No one said that was illegal. No one at all. As a matter of fact a stepparent may be able to add a stepchild to their medical insurance if their insurance company allows it.

You think huh? Ummm, the mother should not inform YOU of anything. Mother should inform father and father should inform mother but stepparent needs NO one to inform them.

Your thoughts have no legal bearing. You do know that, right?

No you are not a parent. YOU are the spouse of a parent. YOu have the right to be respected as an adult in the house the child is in. That is all. But not a parent.

Text speak? How old are you?

let's start again -- LEGALLY a stepparent has NO rights. NONE. ZIP. Zilch. Zero. Want to watch a hospital get sued quickly? Let mom disagree with you securing treatment for her little girl. YOU and the hospital will get sued. The hospital will lose. And you will find YOURSELF reprimanded by the court. At minimum.

Bull. Unless you have a power of attorney to secure medical treatment then you cannot legally secure nonemergency treatment. And I do not mean ER treatment. I mean emergency as in life or death treatment.

It so doesn't. Because legall you are wrong.

Please stop typing. Please stop giving "advice". Please. just. stop.

I can shorten my words and if its texting cure but its actually b/c i will and can. My mom worked at the hospital and its very legal and u cannot be sued nor the hospital, they have a legal blanket anyway- Even my husbands sister took this same child to the E.R when her mother was unavailable- So please call a hospital in ur area and ask and get off my back- I think there is no reason for your hostility and i was merely answering the person who posted this thread. When you get along with your mom step-dad , stepmom, and dad and its great- I mean to the chilrdren u are more than a just some person married to ur mom or dad ---- and the legal system had no effects against step-parents seeking any medical. When the girls mother doesnt give their dad any medical info cuz she thinks its funny and the register nurse says "your stepmom" and I reply "yes". She says sign here-
I said ok that baby needed to see someone- My mom is a critical care nurse and is well aware of who comes into the E.R. and who can get service- Not only that I myslef am aware of the HIPAA laws- Any parent who is there for medical treatment of a child will not be turned away-If u think that should have been this case that you really need to learn to love a little more

Last edited:

faithnlve

Quit being obtuse, Faith. Giving country-wide "advice" based upon what a school (official) told you is simply ridiculous.

From where did your son's school get its law degree? :rolleyes:
Your right, how could I have thought the school was right! I think they got their law information from the schools Drivers Ed manual :D

I can shorten my words and if its texting cure but its actually b/c i will and can. My mom worked at the hospital and its very legal and u can be sure nor the hospital that have a lagal blanket anyway- Even my husbands sister took this same child to the E.R when he mother was unavailable- So please call a hospital in ur area and ask and get off my back- I think there is no reason for your hostility and i was merely answering the person who posted this thread. When you get along with your mom step-dad , stepmom and dad and its great- I mean to the chilrdren u are more than a just some person married to ur mom or dad ---- and the legal system had no effects against step-parents seeking any medical. When the girls mother doesnt give their dad any medical info cuz she thinks its funny and the register nurse says "your stepmom" and I reply "yes". She says sign here-
I said ok that baby needed to see someone- My mom is a critical care nurse and is well aware of who comes into the E.R. and who can get service- Not only that I myslef am aware of the HIPAA laws- Any parent who is there for medical treatment of a child will not be turned away-If u think that should have been this case that you really need to learn to love a little more
Any PARENT can! You are not a parent, you are the husband's wife. And while some kids may a look at their stepparent as more, they are not.....you really need to understand that. These people here know more than you about laws. Which is what this web site is for!

ProSeDadinMD

My mom is a critical care nurse and is well aware of who comes into the E.R. and who can get service-...
Out of curiousity, why does a critical care nurse have any dealings with, or knowledge of, the ER Admissions Dept?

I ask as a person who actually works in a medical business office, and generally speaking, clinical staff is fairly clueless with regards to administrative policies.

Silverplum

Out of curiousity, why does a critical care nurse have any dealings with, or knowledge of, the ER Admissions Dept?

I ask as a person who actually works in a medical business office, and generally speaking, clinical staff is fairly clueless with regards to administrative policies.
And, again, this is a LEGAL site...

What a single hospital does somewhere is of no relevance to stepparents legal rights.

greeneyesburn

:)

she has worked in ER and IMCU and ICU as well as the surgical unit- Plus while we were there she talked up a storm with the triage nurse who also helps admit

greeneyesburn

yes i know

And, again, this is a LEGAL site...

What a single hospital does somewhere is of no relevance to stepparents legal rights.
I am aware so if she think i can get sure she can have fun with that one -- Actaully one hopital in Minnesota took the aunt witht he baby and in Texas me and the dad with the baby- :) But if she wants to go on about sueing i love courtrooms..

Silverplum

I am aware so if she think i can get sure she can have fun with that one -- Actaully one hopital in Minnesota took the aunt witht he baby and in Texas me and the dad with the baby- :) But if she wants to go on about sueing i love courtrooms..
Please return to your corner and talk quietly to yourself only.

CJane

she has worked in ER and IMCU and ICU as well as the surgical unit- Plus while we were there she talked up a storm with the triage nurse who also helps admit
Well, if she talks a lot to someone who helps do admitting... then she MUST know proper policies and procedures.

I just can't believe y'all are abusing the ER by taking a kid in for something that's clearly on-going.

And is that even English?

Well, if she talks a lot to someone who helps do admitting... then she MUST know proper policies and procedures.

I just can't believe y'all are abusing the ER by taking a kid in for something that's clearly on-going.

And is that even English?
My thought exactly!! :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wow, good to know. That was not what my son's school told me. That since dad has custody he can say its ok for the step to sign in his place. Faith
Faith - look at this realistically. What right does a step-parent have to waive the rights of a child that is not theirs? From a legal standpoint, the school is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">