• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment compensation mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commentator

One more time. THEY ARE NOT CONTENDING THAT THEY FIRED YOU FOR A GOOD MISCONDUCT REASON. THEY ARE CONTENDING THAT YOU QUIT THE JOB. That is the reason your claim has been stopped at this time.

This is Regardless of what they say about your poor performance before you either quit or were fired. You say as many times as you can work it in that you did the job to the best of your abilities, and that you did not quit the job. There was plenty of time for you to be rescheduled before the end of the probationary period. But you were not given a chance to reschedule. Your employer fired you.

Your employer did not believe you were sick. You contend you were sick, too sick to attend the new certification test. You have a doctor's statement. You received medications. You have the better story. That no one in the office thought you appeared to be sick is irrelevant. So what? Your doctor gave you a statement. You say you were too ill to be there for the certification test. That is the ONLY issue.

Forget about the crap about the 90 day probationary period. In TN, believe me, people can and do fire everyone they want to during the 90 day probationary period. But they could anyhow, there's no reason they cannot fired you on the 91st day with the same results. If they cannot show a valid misconduct reason to terminate you, you are still going to be approved for unemployment insurance. Regardless of performance issues, or whether they disliked your socks or whatever, they don't have a misconduct reason, they are not going to be able to fire you without your being able to get unemployment insurance if you are otherwise qualified.

The upside for the employer is that if they fire you quickly, their percentage of the unemployment benefits you will be receiving is minsicule. Every employer in the base period has a percentage of the charges, based on how long the person worked for them. So this employer's part of the charges if your claim is approved would be very very tiny. But they still went to the trouble of hiring this third party and fighting it tooth and nail. So win it. You did not quit, you did the job to the best of your ability. They fired you. Because you did not take the probationary test that they had rescheduled for you. You did not take it because you were too sick on that day to come in to work. You have a medical excuse. Stop talking.

If they had fired you after the 90 days was up because you had REFUSED to take the certification test and pass it, that might fall into misconduct. But remember, they didn't fire you. YOU QUIT, at least that's what they're contending. They can't have it both ways. They can't say, "Well, he quit, but we could've fired him anyhow, because he did blah blah blah.....(or didn't do blah blah blah.) If they say you quit, they can't have a go at saying you should have been fired anyhow. It's an either/or statement. The hearing officer will know this. They are dealing only with your quit issue, unless you are dumb enough to let the other party make it all about your performance and how you walked out of the first certification meeting, and so on and so forth, weakening your case and making it sound like you might have had a real good reason to quit.

If they "cross examine" you, (maybe you should only say "ask me questions" since you seem to visualize this cross examination as much more than it will be) you are not really obligated to answer them except very briefly. If they say, "So what happened the last time you took the examination?" You can say, "I didn't complete it. It was rescheduled. The next time it was scheduled, I was too ill to be there that day." If they go off onto "Why didn't you complete it?" say, "I'm not sure." Stop talking. Look pleasant. It is entirely possible that the hearing officer will call relevance before it goes any further than that. If I trained them, they sure would.

If they ask you a yes/no question, give them a one word answer. "Isn't it true that you said blah blah blah...." Say "No." Stop talking. Smile pleasantly. They cannot force you to answer the way they want you to, and if you start off down some big self justification trail, you will have done just that.

For the last time, forget about the bad bad person in the agency who sent your form to the wrong address. If it had been sent to the right address, you'd have gone through this whole thing a few months earlier, that's the only difference it made. IT IS NOT AN ISSUE TO BE BROUGHT UP IN THE HEARING!!!!!!!

Last edited:

One more time. THEY ARE NOT CONTENDING THAT THEY FIRED YOU FOR A GOOD MISCONDUCT REASON. THEY ARE CONTENDING THAT YOU QUIT THE JOB. That is the reason your claim has been stopped at this time.

This is Regardless of what they say about your poor performance before you either quit or were fired. You say as many times as you can work it in that you did the job to the best of your abilities, and that you did not quit the job. There was plenty of time for you to be rescheduled before the end of the probationary period. But you were not given a chance to reschedule. Your employer fired you.

Your employer did not believe you were sick. You contend you were sick, too sick to attend the new certification test. You have a doctor's statement. You received medications. You have the better story. That no one in the office thought you appeared to be sick is irrelevant. So what? Your doctor gave you a statement. You say you were too ill to be there for the certification test. That is the ONLY issue.

Forget about the crap about the 90 day probationary period. In TN, believe me, people can and do fire everyone they want to during the 90 day probationary period. But they could anyhow, there's no reason they cannot fired you on the 91st day with the same results. If they cannot show a valid misconduct reason to terminate you, you are still going to be approved for unemployment insurance. Regardless of performance issues, or whether they disliked your socks or whatever, they don't have a misconduct reason, they are not going to be able to fire you without your being able to get unemployment insurance if you are otherwise qualified.

The upside for the employer is that if they fire you quickly, their percentage of the unemployment benefits you will be receiving is minsicule. Every employer in the base period has a percentage of the charges, based on how long the person worked for them. So this employer's part of the charges if your claim is approved would be very very tiny. But they still went to the trouble of hiring this third party and fighting it tooth and nail. So win it. You did not quit, you did the job to the best of your ability. They fired you. Because you did not take the probationary test that they had rescheduled for you. You did not take it because you were too sick on that day to come in to work. You have a medical excuse. Stop talking.

If they had fired you after the 90 days was up because you had REFUSED to take the certification test and pass it, that might fall into misconduct. But remember, they didn't fire you. YOU QUIT, at least that's what they're contending. They can't have it both ways. They can't say, "Well, he quit, but we could've fired him anyhow, because he did blah blah blah.....(or didn't do blah blah blah.) If they say you quit, they can't have a go at saying you should have been fired anyhow. It's an either/or statement. The hearing officer will know this. They are dealing only with your quit issue, unless you are dumb enough to let the other party make it all about your performance and how you walked out of the first certification meeting, and so on and so forth, weakening your case and making it sound like you might have had a real good reason to quit.

If they "cross examine" you, (maybe you should only say "ask me questions" since you seem to visualize this cross examination as much more than it will be) you are not really obligated to answer them except very briefly. If they say, "So what happened the last time you took the examination?" You can say, "I didn't complete it. It was rescheduled. The next time it was scheduled, I was too ill to be there that day." If they go off onto "Why didn't you complete it?" say, "I'm not sure." Stop talking. Look pleasant. It is entirely possible that the hearing officer will call relevance before it goes any further than that. If I trained them, they sure would.

If they ask you a yes/no question, give them a one word answer. "Isn't it true that you said blah blah blah...." Say "No." Stop talking. Smile pleasantly. They cannot force you to answer the way they want you to, and if you start off down some big self justification trail, you will have done just that.

For the last time, forget about the bad bad person in the agency who sent your form to the wrong address. If it had been sent to the right address, you'd have gone through this whole thing a few months earlier, that's the only difference it made. IT IS NOT AN ISSUE TO BE BROUGHT UP IN THE HEARING!!!!!!!
thank you very much.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm opening a pool for how long it takes for R-Man to come back and explain why, with all due respect to commentator, he has to do thus-and-so anyway.

Come, choose your east. Come, choose your west. Cast your votes here.

commentator

I really do hope the next thing we hear is that the hearing was held and that it went well for him, and then that the decision denying benefits has been overturned. I have always had suspicions we weren't getting all the facts, despite his determination to argue them all in the hearing. But if it's as I understand (they maintain he quit) then this is the way to argue it and win. You look ONLY at the decision, and argue ONLY what it states as the reason for the termination and denial.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You beautiful dreamer, you. You know as well as I do what's going to happen; he's going to go in there and do it his way and attempt to prove all the points he is convinced he has to prove, and he's going to argue himself into a denial of benefits.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You beautiful dreamer, you. You know as well as I do what's going to happen; he's going to go in there and do it his way and attempt to prove all the points he is convinced he has to prove, and he's going to argue himself into a denial of benefits.
I'm envisioning a great big "Alrighty then" as the paperwork is stamped 'Denied'. :cool:

the only reason I posted this thread here for was for commentator to respond to it. I knew what it would turn into from other people so I do not listen to them. I am not familiar with this system to know how it works but it could steam roll right over my arse and I know this. I am in a tough situation where this determination should have been handled months ago and the appeal tribunals rule individually on cases meaning they are probably not consistent from one to another. I have said I have my work cut out for me and am thinking I will need an attorney.

Last edited:

quincy

... am thinking I will need an attorney.
Consulting with an attorney in your area certainly can't hurt, RedemptionMan.

The nice thing about a free forum is you can wander off into all sorts of directions and discuss areas of concern that will ultimately have no bearing on any decision made in your case. When you meet with your attorney, however, it is important to remember that you will be paying for every minute of his time.

It would be smart for you to reduce all that you have said in your posts here to the facts that matter (and all of the facts). Perhaps it will help to use the commentator's posts as a guideline to what is going to be important and what is not. If you don't stray from what is important, you can save time and money.

ecmst12

You made this post to get advice from commentator, yet you haven't listened to a SINGLE WORD that she's said to you. Logic.

Yet every post you make indicates you have no intention of taking her advice.
what does taking her advice have to do with it? I am taking her advice, I do not trust this system, period. It has not worked for me, and I am paying for someone elses mistake because I took the unemployment and they sent the letter to the wrong place. If I lose and have to pay this money back then I will be DONE with this system and as she says they do not care. Well, good they can keep their system and its rules for it has steamrolled right over me.

justalayman

what does taking her advice have to do with it? I am taking her advice, I do not trust this system, period. It has not worked for me, and I am paying for someone elses mistake because I took the unemployment and they sent the letter to the wrong place. If I lose and have to pay this money back then I will be DONE with this system and as she says they do not care. Well, good they can keep their system and its rules for it has steamrolled right over me.
the point is;

failing to heed commentators advice is more likely to put you in a situation where you will be asked to repay the UI benefits than if you follow commentator's direction. You say you are listening but then you immediately turn around and state you are going to do what commentator specifically said not to do.

the point is;

failing to heed commentators advice is more likely to put you in a situation where you will be asked to repay the UI benefits than if you follow commentator's direction. You say you are listening but then you immediately turn around and state you are going to do what commentator specifically said not to do.
Again, I understand that. I am not arguing that but when they say oh we believe you then deny you anyway something else is in play. I do not understand the system, would have 100 percent failed had commentator not gave me suggestions and now I put my chances a little better but I do not feel real great about it. They already sent me potential notice of overpayment and I have an appeal in. Does not give me the most confidence in the world that I am going to get something in my favor. I am in an at will state worked for a company a little while and they have a hand crafted statement written by someone who is immensely knowledgeable on the system. While you can all say it is me and my attitude and what not, maybe but I am going to have to do this on my own.

It is a little scarey when you have not done anything like this before.

justalayman

go back and read commentators posts. Study them, learn them, and then live them. You need to be cautious you don't hang yourself while you are trying to avoid them hanging you.

as to my posts; I like to play devil's advocate and pose situations that allow you to see things from a different perspective. Personally I do not see you as quitting but that doesn't mean the employer isn't going to try their best to show why they took what happened as you quitting. Sometimes when you see things from their perspective, it allows you to understand why they claim what they claim and it can help you to be able to defend they argument more easily.

I do see you not taking the test or whatever as a possible problem though but that is not the issue at hand and it should not be brought up by you.

again, re-read commentators posts and best of luck to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">