• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child custody help pls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCool

Listen, you are showing here that you are not equipped to handle a do-it-yourself custody hearing. so, take yourself to an attorney for an IMMEDIATE consultation.

If you do not get a court to grant custody, you'll be moving to Madison without HER child.
The problem is I don't have the funds I would need to see an attorney. If someone here could point me in the right direction I could prepare myself for a do-it-yourself custody hearing. I've just started researching the topic today, I WILL prepare myself, I was just hoping for a helping hand in getting started. I still have a year and a half to finish at my current college before I transfer, so I have time to prepare myself.

Silverplum

My bad, I spelled it wrong, who cares?
It's your lack of attention to details that has gotten you into today's situation.:rolleyes: And you're going to sound like a ninny mispronouncing it -- Stealth did you a favor.

TCool said:
All I want here is some advice on my situation, I don't think insults are necessary.
You got advice. If you're insulted over a corrected misspelling, I'm VERY SURPRISED you aren't insulted by the FACT that you are not the father of your girlfriend's kid. :eek:

TCool

Yes, I realize that mispelling and mispronouncing it wouldn't exactly be the best thing. However, I am doing well in school, I am not a retard. I thank him or her for pointing out the error, however insults are not necessary.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

BelizeBreeze

The problem is I don't have the funds I would need to see an attorney. If someone here could point me in the right direction I could prepare myself for a do-it-yourself custody hearing. I've just started researching the topic today, I WILL prepare myself, I was just hoping for a helping hand in getting started. I still have a year and a half to finish at my current college before I transfer, so I have time to prepare myself.
As I said, you have shown here that you are not equipped to do-it-yourself and I will not be a party to your screwing it up. Go see an attorney. PERIOD!

As for the time to prepare, what will you do if she comes home tonight, packs her bags and the kid and leaves the state?

MrsK

Borrow the money if you have to. Without an atty, you are at a severe disadvantage in this situation.

TCool

Well, like I said, I'm not retarded. She can't.

Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment - If the parents are sure who the father is and both parents are 18 or older, the parents may sign a Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment form and file the form with the state. Correctly filing the form fully establishes legal paternity. The father’s name will be added to the birth certificate. Parents may fill out the form and have it notarized at the hospital when their baby is born. All hospitals in Wisconsin have the Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment form. This form is also available from midwives, county and tribal child support agencies, most county register of deeds offices and the Wisconsin Office of Vital Records in Madison. The parents may complete a Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment form any time after the child is born.
This form was signed, and according to this I AM legally considered the father.

I may not have all the information I need to handle this situation yet, but I will learn it. I would love to go to an attorney, however it is not something I can afford. If you don't want to help me its fine, I'm not expecting anyone to help me, just asking for it.

TCool

Borrow the money if you have to. Without an atty, you are at a severe disadvantage in this situation.
I definately will be trying to get the money, however it is not something I expect to be able to do. So, I need to educate myself on the issue, and thats what I'm trying to do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, I realize that mispelling and mispronouncing it wouldn't exactly be the best thing. However, I am doing well in school, I am not a retard. I thank him or her for pointing out the error, however insults are not necessary.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
If you're old enough to father a child, you're old enough to know what it's called. And no one said you were mentally slow (btw - retard is offensive) - just that as a college student you should really know better.

BelizeBreeze

then you ARE a retard.

And further proof that you NEED an attorney.
I may not have all the information I need to handle this situation yet, but I will learn it.
I doubt that.
I would love to go to an attorney, however it is not something I can afford. If you don't want to help me its fine, I'm not expecting anyone to help me, just asking for it.
if you can't afford an attorney, you will not be able to afford to raise a child.

TCool

If you're old enough to father a child, you're old enough to know what it's called. And no one said you were mentally slow (btw - retard is offensive) - just that as a college student you should really know better.
I should have, but I made a mistake. Btw, I'm not really into political correctness, so I don't find retard all that offensive. However, if it offends people here I will try to limit my use of the word, since I am here for help and not to offend anyone.

fairisfair

I may not have all the information I need to handle this situation yet, but I will learn it. I would love to go to an attorney, however it is not something I can afford. If you don't want to help me its fine, I'm not expecting anyone to help me, just asking for it.
Now see, there, that is something that you should have known that you signed and you should have told us that you signed. keep reading.

TCool

if you can't afford an attorney, you will not be able to afford to raise a child.
Well, I am reading something now that says I am legally the father. If there is a reason I'm wrong, please tell me. But, now you are entering into territory I do know, I HAVE been a father for 4 years, and I CAN tell you that it is very possible to afford to raise a child and not be able to afford an attorney. Attorneys are expensive, raising a child is actually not all that expensive.

BelizeBreeze

Well, I am reading something now that says I am legally the father. If there is a reason I'm wrong, please tell me. But, now you are entering into territory I do know, I HAVE been a father for 4 years, and I CAN tell you that it is very possible to afford to raise a child and not be able to afford an attorney. Attorneys are expensive, raising a child is actually not all that expensive.
o.k. here is what I want to know that you never answered. She comes home. You tell her that if she doesn't agree to move with you to Madison you'll file for custody. She tells you to "BITE ROCKS" packs up her things and the kid and tries to leave.

You block the door and stop her. She calls 911 and the police arrive.

Whom do you think will be going to jail?

Then, while that person is in jail, a custody/support petition is filed in district court of the county where you presently life. Attached to the petition is a petition for paternity. Whom do you think will be paying the $500 - 900 for that test?

Then during the hearing she files a Temporary Restraining Order against you for Illegal Detention and coresion. How much do you think that will cost you to defend.

THEN, she petitions the court for full custody and you supervised visitation. What is your first step in defending against that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">