• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child's Social Security Number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wife-mom-stpmom

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband was going to fill out a motion for modification and in the forms is a form called "family information sheet" on the sheet they want the social security number. Well my husband e-mailed his ex-wife asking her for it, before she knew what it was for. And she said no and that there was no reason for him to have it. After he told her that he wanted the order modified to be more specific and that it was for the paper work she said "I don't believe you need it, if you do have your attorney contact my attorney and then I will CONSIDER having my attorney give it to your attorney"
The child's mother has full physical and they share joint legal. Is there any legal reason why my husband should not be aloud to know his daughter's social security number? Isn't joint legal supposed to mean full disclosure about the child?
Is this legal?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband was going to fill out a motion for modification and in the forms is a form called "family information sheet" on the sheet they want the social security number. Well my husband e-mailed his ex-wife asking her for it, before she knew what it was for. And she said no and that there was no reason for him to have it. After he told her that he wanted the order modified to be more specific and that it was for the paper work she said "I don't believe you need it, if you do have your attorney contact my attorney and then I will CONSIDER having my attorney give it to your attorney"
The child's mother has full physical and they share joint legal. Is there any legal reason why my husband should not be aloud to know his daughter's social security number? Isn't joint legal supposed to mean full disclosure about the child?
Is this legal?
I doubt that he absolutely has to have the child's SS number to file the modification. However, he doesn't have to get the number from mom. He can take his copy of the child's birth certificate (if he doesn't have a copy he can get one) and go down to the local SSA office and get the number himself.

Custodial parents are often cautious about giving out the child's SS number..for lots of different reasons. There is a lot of damage that an NCP can do with a child's SS number. However you are correct that your husband has the right to have it, which is why he can easily get it himself and doesn't have to rely on mom providing it.

Also, he might review his existing paperwork. It might be in there.

haiku

why yes, a an NCP can do the same damage with the childs social security number that a CP can.:rolleyes:

nextwife

Reson to have SS #:

Ability to save into 529 plan

Savings bonds for child

Some insurers require it

Hopefully he's ASKING TO ALTERNATE THE DEDUCTION IN TAXES.

It's his child too!

mommyof4

why yes, a an NCP can do the same damage with the childs social security number that a CP can.:rolleyes:
As someone who had to deal with my ex opening fraudulent accounts under my child's SS#, even I was taken aback by LdiJ's comment.

My ex didn't abuse the SS# just because he was the NCP. He did it because he's a dumbass.:rolleyes:

Amazingly enough, I've seen plenty of dumbasses in both 'categories' of parents.:p

nextwife

You mean having a uterus doesn't make you the SUPERIOR, wouldn't-do anything-wrong, parent?

Ldij, just because the law in most states makes an unmarried mom the CP by default does NOT make their interest in the child's future any more or less magnanimous.

mommyof4

You mean having a uterus doesn't make you the SUPERIOR, wouldn't-do anything-wrong, parent?
Ldij, just because the law in most states makes an unmarried mom the CP by default does NOT make their interest in the child's future any more or less magnanimous.
Nah, I'm just superior because I am greatness personified.:p

CourtClerk

There is no court form, anywhere in the State of California that requires the child's social security number for a modification.

Not 1 anywhere in the state. So, if there is, give me the form number, because it needs to be sent to the judicial council. In fact, they've required that we take off anything that requires a complete social security number as of Jan. 1 because of security reasons.

So... who's asking for the social and why?

Oh... and if this man has been declared the legal father of this child, he doesn't need to go through mom to get a social security card... he can get one on his own.

LdiJ

Did I say "moms"? No, I said CPs. A dad who is a friend of mine with custody had the ncp mom make a HUGE mess with his children's SS numbers....and he kicks himself for ever giving the numbers to her. Those poor kids have bad credit scores and they aren't even teenagers yet.

Sure, a CP can make a mess too, but every situation I have seen it was the ncp who did that kind of thing, rather than the cp.

Also, bear in mind that its a VERY common problem in my industry, and its always the ncp there that's in the wrong as far as the tax code is concerned.

mommyof4

Did I say "moms"? No, I said CPs. A dad who is a friend of mine with custody had the ncp mom make a HUGE mess with his children's SS numbers....and he kicks himself for ever giving the numbers to her. Those poor kids have bad credit scores and they aren't even teenagers yet.

Sure, a CP can make a mess too, but every situation I have seen it was the ncp who did that kind of thing, rather than the cp.

Also, bear in mind that its a VERY common problem in my industry, and its always the ncp there that's in the wrong as far as the tax code is concerned.

But AGAIN...it's not because the offending party is the NCP. It's because the offending party is a dumbass. Pure and simple.

NCP does not translate to 'more likely to commit identity theft and fraud'.

wileybunch

Maybe the form he's filling out is from the attorney's office in the first place so that they can complete the forms, but SSN shouldn't be needed.

As has been suggested, he should get a copy of child's card directly from SSA. This seems particularly ridiculous when couple was married at time card was originally obtained, but hard to fight the bronzed uterus.

LdiJ

But AGAIN...it's not because the offending party is the NCP. It's because the offending party is a dumbass. Pure and simple.

NCP does not translate to 'more likely to commit identity theft and fraud'.
Ok...that's a valid point. The offending party IS a dumbass, and no the title of ncp does not mean that someone is more likely to commit identity theft or fraud. However, unfortunately, based on more than 20 years of experience, when it comes to taxes an awful lot of ncps think that all that matters is who gets their return filed first.:( Of course, they are also dumbasses in that instance.

haiku

When an NCP is under the mistaken immpression they are due the deduction, the havoc they wreak is really on THEMSELVES....not the child or the CP.

Its not as heinous or criminilistic and damaging to the CHILD, as stealing the childs SS number to get a telephone or a credit card, which sadly I have seen at least two CP's in my experience do.....

Ok...that's a valid point. The offending party IS a dumbass, and no the title of ncp does not mean that someone is more likely to commit identity theft or fraud. However, unfortunately, based on more than 20 years of experience, when it comes to taxes an awful lot of ncps think that all that matters is who gets their return filed first.:( Of course, they are also dumbasses in that instance.
I hate to even admit to this....

MY mother, the NCP, committed this fraud on all her children. OUr credit was destroyed by the time we were ten. She thought she was owed it because my dad got to have the children. :(

penelope10

I can think of a number of reasons why an NCP would want a SS# (both legal and otherwise).
As was suggested, Dad's best bet is to probably go down with the birth certificate to the SS office and get it. But if this Dad is like some NCPS he may not have a copy of the birth certificate either. Where I live the office of Vital Statistics is not far---might not be the same in his community. He may have to do some leg work to get it. Thankfully today one doesn't have to wait for things to be delivered by snail mail. Birth certificates can often be ordered online and for an additional fee the certificate can be sent priority mail.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">