• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daily visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nana99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH
mother has full custody and father went without seeing child for 4 months. Father now wants to change to joint custody and have daily visitations with child. What are the chances that a judge would grant daily visitations? I have never heard of anyone getting daily visitation rights but was curious.

ecmst12

Ok, for a child that old, daily visitation isn't really necessary....once or twice a week, short visits so they can get to know each other should be sufficient.

nana99

Was granted 2 weeks every other month back in July in the state of TN but never exercised those rights, then moved to NH a couple weeks ago. He has spent a total of 8 supervised hours with child, but no overnight, due to living conditions. No job, no running water, no bathroom, no heat, no air, no windows, and no way of shutting room off from stairs.But I can't get anyone to do a home study until it is court ordered or this is what I was told. Tried giving him every other weekend and Wednesday nights, but decided he wants daily visitation. This will now have to change jurisdiction from TN to NH. Definately at wits end :rolleyes:

nana99

Ok, for a child that old, daily visitation isn't really necessary....once or twice a week, short visits so they can get to know each other should be sufficient.
Thank you, that was how I felt, especially since there has been such a time that they were apart and at such a young age she doesn't really know him and needs that time to get to know him

sometwo

While daily visitation has been known to HAPPEN, I have never heard it ordered by a court

Was granted 2 weeks every other month back in July in the state of TN
My husband's original divorce court ourder stated the child would be with mother by day and father by night. So both parents did have the chance to see the child every day. Im guessing they came to an agreement and the judge signed it. This was in TN

cyjeff

My husband's original divorce court ourder stated the child would be with mother by day and father by night. So both parents did have the chance to see the child every day. Im guessing they came to an agreement and the judge signed it. This was in TN
That is unusual to the extreme.

For no other reason than most divorced parents don't want to deal with each other than much.

nana99

I would think that would be very confusing for a child.....but so is any other visitation arrangement. GAL was the one suggesting every other month even knowing the father might be moving up to NH, so after spending 10000 in TN now everything will be changed to NH. Not sure if NH will change custody orders that TN has set. All so confusing

sometwo

That is unusual to the extreme.

For no other reason than most divorced parents don't want to deal with each other than much
I think the main reason my husband wanted that was because mom stayed gone all the time and with many men. He didn't want their son sleeping at different mens houses every night.

It ended up she hardley ever picked him up though and left him with me instead . My husband went back to court and got it to where she had standard visitation every other weekend etc. Again it ended up being agreed on and Judge signed it.

ETA: It could possibly work if both worked together I guess. But like you said, if it were me , I wouldnt want to deal with someone on a daily basis. I sure didn't like seeing her as much as I did and she didn't come half the time. She wouldn't pick him up before my husband went to work because she would "sleep in"

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
While daily visitation has been known to HAPPEN, I have never heard it ordered by a court.
I had a case in which it was. It was ordered due to the close proximity of the parents, the age of the child (not in school yet) and the working shifts of the child. The NCp provided child care daily for the CP. And it was court ordered that the NCP would provide child care for the CP as long as the NCP wanted to.

LdiJ

I had a case in which it was. It was ordered due to the close proximity of the parents, the age of the child (not in school yet) and the working shifts of the child. The NCp provided child care daily for the CP. And it was court ordered that the NCP would provide child care for the CP as long as the NCP wanted to.
I have seen cases like that as well, but always in the context of the child being with one parent while the other parent was working. The bad part about those kinds of orders is when the child starts school, often they suddenly see much, much less of a parent that they were used to seeing on a daily basis. Even when the schedule gets adjusted the kids are dealing with the transition into school AND a big change in their personal lives at the same time. It can be rough on kids.

My ex did see our child on a daily basis. He would come by the house every day after work and play outside with her and her friends, help her with homework, be there if I needed to run some errands etc. It was great. It probably wouldn't have worked if I had remarried or lived with someone, but I chose not to go that route.

The funny part about that is that dad worked 5 minutes from my house, and had a huge commute to his own...and it was a heavily traffic laden commute.
He could spend two hours at my house, and then get home only 1/2 an hour later than he would have gotten home, if he went straight home.

ecmst12

Not ALL divorced parents hate each other and can't get along. Just the ones that post here :) But I know some divorced people that are still good friends, just couldn't be married. And some others that aren't exactly good friends but make the effort to be friendly for their kids' sake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">