• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concerns about CPS and school!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proserpina

No, thats a terrible thought, I just will not accept that. I'm horrified just considering calling it that.

Do you seriously think that young children don't/can't seek or experience gratification in that manner?

For real? :confused:

Whether or not you like the idea matters not - it is what it is. And any competent pediatrician would agree.

/end hijack - apologies, OP.

in1christy

Yes, my husband is my daughters father.

We have a kid soap for daughter. She has has hypotonia, or low muscel tone in finger which causes frustration for cleaning personal areas, and wiping. She see an Occupational Therapist to help her with these issues. (Through the school corporation).

acmb05

I feel the school nurse did not consider UTI or masturbation as possible causes and went straight to the sexual abuse. The school nurse did not take the time to talk with me or her father to find out if there were any problems and went strait to the sexual abuse process.
This is different than your case but when my daughter was 7 she went to school with stitches in her head (4 of them) When the teacher asked her what happened she said "my daddy hit me with a chair". They called the police and DCS then they called me and my wife to come to the school because there was a problem with my daughter. They would not tell me over the phone what it was.

When I go t there and explained to them what actually happened and they verified it with my daughter everything was fine. I was moving a high chair over her on the floor and the table came loose from the chair and it fell on her head.

Do I blame them for calling? Heck no because if there really was a problem I would want it investigated.

Now just think if your husband had been abusing her, would you rather they call him and ask or call you and ask. Of course you would both say no. That is why they have to report it and have it checked out.

tln6801

I completely understand your issues, Mom. In the land of common sense, the mother should have been contacted to be with her child to go through the process of "investigation."
Use caution and common sense when following the "advice" of CPS. You know your daughter. They don't. They are not your ally and don't be fooled into thinking that they are.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Banned_Princess? You are a whack-job. Please - go speak with your child's pediatrician. Read a book or five. Educate yourself. Hopefully your child has not reached the age of a birds-and-bees discussion.

gr8rn

In young children, masturbation is a normal part of the growing child's exploration of his or her body. Most people continue to masturbate in adulthood, and many do so throughout their lives.
-WebMD

OP- I'm sure, as a mandated reporter, you would agree that it is better to err on the side of caution in a case such as this. You have been personally affected, so perhaps your judgement is skewed in seeing the reasons that the school nurse had concerns. Best to let the investigator do his or her job, and you should agree to do whatever it takes to get this case closed as quickly as possible.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For B_P:

Masturbation: Infancy through Preschool Age

by Dr. Benjamin Spock
reviewed and revised by Robert Needlman, M.D., F.A.A.P.
All babies take great, uninhibited pleasure in their bodies, especially in certain areas like the mouth and genitals. They eat with gusto, smacking their lips when sated, raising a ruckus when hungry. It is with unabashed pleasure that they delight in the pleasures of their body--being held, stroked, kissed, tickled, massaged. The pleasure principle reigns unapologetically supreme.

Masturbation is part of the normal development of sexuality in children. Of course, sexual feelings are different in young children than in adults. The difference is that adults tend to focus more on their genitals. Adults also attach a great deal of psychological meaning to things sexual.

You could say that infants have sensual feelings rather than sexual feelings, because infant sexuality is not focused on the genitals.
from Masturbation: Infancy through Preschool Age

OP... I have to say that I think the nurse did the proper thing, although you certainly don't agree. No one in their right mind would expect someone who *may* be abusing a child to go ahead and admit it when asked. Better safe than sorry.

CJane

For B_P:

from Masturbation: Infancy through Preschool Age

OP... I have to say that I think the nurse did the proper thing, although you certainly don't agree. No one in their right mind would expect someone who *may* be abusing a child to go ahead and admit it when asked. Better safe than sorry.
Yeah, I'm a little concerned that a "licensed social worker" thinks that the school should have called and warned her they were involving family services. Like the average parent wouldn't be at the school in 5 minutes, interfering with the investigation all over the place - whether they knew that's what they were doing or not.

And, I do find the whole "masturbating until she bleeds/is painful" story a bit hard to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">