• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child refuses to come home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaizen

I spoke to a lawyer, cop and a couple others today. There is not a no-contact order in place.

I am going there to get son today. I hope they cooperate, and I hope that if they don't and I have to call the authorities, that they will intercede based on Monday's court order that I have that states son is to be at home.

CJane

Kaizen, is this the same child and the same sort of behavior that led to the incorrigible minor charges last year or so?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
SO wait... THe kid attacked you, the cops removed him, and you plan on bringing him home? SMH.

Ladyback1

I spoke to a lawyer, cop and a couple others today. There is not a no-contact order in place.

I am going there to get son today. I hope they cooperate, and I hope that if they don't and I have to call the authorities, that they will intercede based on Monday's court order that I have that states son is to be at home.
If the no-contact order is regarding your son---why would you intentionally violate it, and/or cause him to violate it?
I could be way off here, but, I don't think that is going to help your case.

CJane

Not likely to be popular opinion at all, but this child is almost an adult. You've been fighting his issues with no support from Dad for well over a year (2? 3?). I'd continue to pursue this via the courts, but I would NOT welcome the child back into my home until he had been through an intensive mental and emotional evaluation and possibly treatment. It seems to me that he has yet to face a REAL consequence for his actions, or be TRULY evaluated in any in depth manner, and frankly, you're running out of time before he's well out of your scope of influence.

Ladyback1

She said there is NOT a no-contact order in place.
ooops! Guess I need to have at least a couple of coffee before I try to respond!

and I'm with CJane. If the kid is made to come home, I'm afraid the issues/tantrums will escalate.

Go thru the courts, but allow the child to stay with father.

CJane

Go thru the courts, but allow the child to stay with father.
That's not at all what I meant. And if that's what the unintentional take-away is, I apologize. I think the child should be removed from Dad's custody sooner, rather than later, and delivered straight to the nearest juvenile psychiatric/detention facility.

Ladyback1

That's not at all what I meant. And if that's what the unintentional take-away is, I apologize. I think the child should be removed from Dad's custody sooner, rather than later, and delivered straight to the nearest juvenile psychiatric/detention facility.
No, I understood....I was in a rush.

As long as there is not a protective/no-contact order, mom could secure admit to a treatment facility and have junior admitted ASAP. But, bringing him home only to repeat the same behavior (and I'd bet my last dollar he will) is only setting everyone up for failure, and possibly getting someone physically hurt...

kaizen

I could not agree more, CJane. I was so pissed that son did not wind up detained yesterday. My hope was that he would, and perhaps learn a few things. That was also the hope of a therapist who I had evaluate my son the very day he left to dad's on June 20th when he didn't come. She again reiterated it was a lost opportunity to what might have been a come to Jesus moment. I was so hot. Instead of seizing the moment for a lesson, he got rewarded by being at dad's. That therapist also predicts he will wind up in jail at some point. All that to say that I agree, and that I have and will continue to reach out to professionals for his mental needs. That therapist told me today that she believes son is sick.

I ask these things of her and explore what to do so that I don't bury my head in the. Dad, on the other hand again insisted he has "no problems at all" with son. *That was right after I'd enlightened him about some of the lies son has been telling him. It's no wonder you don't have any problems. You do no follow through or verify what son says. If son says it, it's true.

Anyhow, I got a call from the Detective who handles these youth charges. Turns out we're acquainted (worked together last year). He told me TWICE that there was no no-contact order and to go get son. I went there and dad said there was. Had to call police to file report. Cop told dad w/o paperwork if what he said does not turn out to be the truth, the judge won't like it and will likely issue that arrest warrant. Cop told him he will be running it later to find out. He was in the cop's face and all whiny. I thought the cop might cuff him right there.

And I had a talk with son. Basically, if I'd have agreed to give him the phone back (I told him not for three days!), he'd have likely have come home. Dad was pleading his case, too.

So I'll get clarification on the no-contact order tomorrow and go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">