• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent's Legal Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe645

(Nevada) I have a adult grandson 26 who has a girlfriend that owns a townhouse (given to her from an Aunt) in Las Vegas presently rented. The girl is 20 years old and has been living on her own for 2 years now. Her relationship with her father has been on rocky terms for that same period. She and my grandson are unemployed. She suffers from bipolar symptoms as well as being treated for depression. They have been living together for about 8 months on a week to week basis. The father has been paying the rent for the last month or so. Previously, we did. We are on fixed income and cannot afford to support them. We have been in contact with the father and have met several times to discuss matters. The daughter finally turned to me and gave me power of attorney to handle the matters of the property. Specific to rent, maintenance, documents, etc.

The Father called us recently and said he was no longer going to pay the rent as long as our grandson and them were together. It is a given fact that they do have mutual problems that seem to pray on their relationship. No job, no money and bleak future. His solution is to break them up, place her in either a rescue mission of similar assistance. They turned to us and we met with them. My solution was the following. Since money was their immediate need as well as a roof over their heads, I suggested that she borrow on the townhouse (equity loan) It is obvious that she cannot do this herself and placed her faith in me to do so. I told her I would not proceed with this unless I have recourse and protection with complete ownership of the property until such time as they were financially sound to move into it themselves through a Quckclaim Deed. She agreed.

The next day she calls her father and says she and my grandson are at odds with each other. The father then calls us and now wants back in the picture hence taking over the management of the property as well as dictating her future. She doesn't want this and does not trust her father. I relayed my solution to the father. He said NO WAY would he let the transfer of ownership take place and would take it to court.

What Legal Status does he have on his daughter and on the agreement if any.

Last edited:

LdiJ

(Nevada) I have a adult grandson 26 who has a girlfriend that owns a townhouse (given to her from an Aunt) in Las Vegas presently rented. The girl is 20 years old and has been living on her own for 2 years now. Her relationship with her father has been on rocky terms for that same period. She and my grandson are unemployed. She suffers from bipolar symptoms as well as being treated for depression. They have been living together for about 8 months on a week to week basis. The father has been paying the rent for the last month or so. Previously, we did. We are on fixed income and cannot afford to support them. We have been in contact with the father and have met several times to discuss matters. The daughter finally turned to me and gave me power of attorney to handle the matters of the property. Specific to rent, maintenance, documents, etc.

The Father called us recently and said he was no longer going to pay the rent as long as our grandson and them were together. It is a given fact that they do have mutual problems that seem to pray on their relationship. No job, no money and bleak future. His solution is to break them up, place her in either a rescue mission of similar assistance. They turned to us and we met with them. My solution was the following. Since money was their immediate need as well as a roof over their heads, I suggested that she borrow on the townhouse (equity loan) It is obvious that she cannot do this herself and placed her faith in me to do so. I told her I would not proceed with this unless I have recourse and protection with complete ownership of the property until such time as they were financially sound to move into it themselves through a Quckclaim Deed. She agreed.

The next day she calls her father and says she and my grandson are at odds with each other. The father then calls us and now wants back in the picture hence taking over the management of the property as well as dictating her future. She doesn't want this and does not trust her father. I relayed my solution to the father. He said NO WAY would he let the transfer of ownership take place and would take it to court.

He doesn't have any say over what his adult daughter does with her property. However, If my daughter was willing to go along with a similar proposal, I would be adamantly against it as well. There is absolutely no reason why you need ownership of her property. A lien against the property would protect you just as well.

Just Blue

I agree with the Father of the 20 year old. You and your grandson should not be allowed to take advantage of this girl.

Get help Grammy. Mental help.:(

joe645

He doesn't have any say over what his adult daughter does with her property. However, If my daughter was willing to go along with a similar proposal, I would be adamantly against it as well. There is absolutely no reason why you need ownership of her property. A lien against the property would protect you just as well.
It will take an equity loan against the property to solve the issue. Just how do I use the property as collateral? I do not have the means to put up any collateral and need to have the rental profits pay for the loan. Please be assured that my wife and I have only this girls and my grandson's interests in mind. We don't want the property and are not trying to get it outside of the issue at hand. In fact, I am willing to put that into an affidavit insuring that the property will be returned to her as stated. She has no credit, no job, so cannot get a loan on her own. If there is anyone who will attempt to gain the property it would be her Father. She had to get him to release the property documents but he didn't give her any of the money he had accumulated from the rent saying she owed it for his support.
What legal right do I have to put a lien against the property?

Last edited:

Just Blue

She suffers from bipolar symptoms as well as being treated for depression.
LD...REALLY re-read the OP. :(

Just Blue

It will take an equity load against the property to solve the issue. Just how do I use the property as collateral? I do not have the means to put up any collateral and need to have the rental profits pay for the loan.
Tell your grandson to get a job. :rolleyes:

Just Blue

It will take an equity loan against the property to solve the issue. Just how do I use the property as collateral? I do not have the means to put up any collateral and need to have the rental profits pay for the loan. Please be assured that my wife and I have only this girls and my grandson's interests in mind. We don't want the property and are not trying to get it outside of the issue at hand. In fact, I am willing to put that into an affidavit insuring that the property will be returned to her as stated. She has no credit, no job, so cannot get a loan on her own. If there is anyone who will attempt to gain the property it would be her Father. She had to get him to release the property documents but he didn't give her any of the money he had accumulated from the rent saying she owed it for his support.
What legal right do I have to put a lien against the property?
YOU STILL have no LEGAL right.

Actually you are very good at making one vomit in ones mouth. Good job.

justalayman

If there is anyone who will attempt to gain the property it would be her Father.?
and you:

I told her I would not proceed with this unless I have recourse and protection with complete ownership of the property until such time as they were financially sound to move into it themselves through a Quckclaim Deed. She agreed.
that is you gaining the property.

If that is the only way you know to help, don't help.

How is you owning the property with neither of the kids having jobs going to help the kids? Who is going to pay this loan you are considering? If the kids, what happens if they don't pay it, and given neither one is employed, there is a great probability they won't be able to pay the loan.

Why do YOU need protection?

joe645

YOU STILL have no LEGAL right.

Actually you are very good at making one vomit in ones mouth. Good job.
]

Somehow this thread has taken a sarcastic turn. I was under the impression that I would be getting legal advise from people who were professionals. It seems everyone that has replied has taken an immediate negative attitude and labeled us some sort of thieves out to grab something from an unfortunate person. I feel for you people. These two souls have tried to find jobs. At present they are on government assistance and may be homeless in a week or so. We are trying to starve this off. Finding work without a cell phone or permanent address is very difficult if not impossible. Most places now want you to apply online. They do not have this capacity. Their need is immediate and if there was any other way to accomplish it, I would welcome the (professional) advise.

justalayman

]

Somehow this thread has taken a sarcastic turn. I was under the impression that I would be getting legal advise from people who were professionals. It seems everyone that has replied has taken an immediate negative attitude and labeled us some sort of thieves out to grab something from an unfortunate person. I feel for you people. These two souls have tried to find jobs. At present they are on government assistance and may be homeless in a week or so. We are trying to starve this off. Finding work without a cell phone or permanent address is very difficult if not impossible. Most places now want you to apply online. They do not have this capacity. Their need is immediate and if there was any other way to accomplish it, I would welcome the (professional) advise.
to start with, you would not be getting this loan in a week or so. You would have to transfer the property to you then apply for a loan, be approved, and close on the loan. It's not happening overnight.

and I see you did not bother answering the questions I asked. How do you propose to help them by taking ownership of the girl's property and borrowing money against it? Even if you were successful with that, do you plan on simply using the money to pay their living expenses for an indefinite period of time? What happens when the loan money runs out?

Just Blue

]

I'll do you a solid. I am going to ask every Attorney (site vetted) to respond to this thread. :)

joe645

I'll do you a solid. I am going to ask every Attorney (site vetted) to respond to this thread. :)
I fully realize the time frame involved but would keep them where they are for now. The loan would be used to find them housing with a paid lease, getting them the necessities such as cell phones, and maybe even some sort of transportation. Their is also the need to put new carpet into the townhouse to assure keeping it viable for rental which would pay the premium on the loan. When these two get back on their feet and have a solid income to be able to move into the townhouse, the ownership would revert back to her. They can't do that now because they don't have the finances to turn on the utilities or the credit either. Naturally, they would have to be financially sound enough to pay whatever was left on the load also. It's not a complicated matter but one of protection on my part.

I'mTheFather

I agree that the idea of transferring ownership is ridiculous.

Why doesn't the girl just sell her house? That makes much more sense.

I'mTheFather

Is there some reason they can't move in with family while going through this tough time? Is there some reason they can't use the computers at the library to apply online for jobs?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">