• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using pseudonyms on resumes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I agree that details matters.

Very few legal questions can be answered definitively. There are almost always exceptions.

It is well known by most on this forum that I have a real problem with definitive answers, especially on a forum where we never have access to all of the facts.

LdiJ

I almost excluded e-Verify from my statement. And didn't because LdiJ didn't mention it in her post. She was specific with New Hire and SSA.
Do you find e-verify to be working well for you? We tried it some years back and felt it was too unwieldy to deal with. If you find it working well for you we might try it again. Our problem with it was that we didn't use it frequently enough (we are only hiring new hires during a limited period of time each year) and the passwords always expired and it was a hassle to get re-enrolled.

PayrollHRGuy

We don't use it. I couldn't for the longest time because they didn't understand the co-employment relationship we have with our clients.

The new HR/Payroll software we are going to be switching to around the first of the year as direct access so we will probably start then.

LdiJ

We don't use it. I couldn't for the longest time because they didn't understand the co-employment relationship we have with our clients.

The new HR/Payroll software we are going to be switching to around the first of the year as direct access so we will probably start then.
Thanks for the info.

LdiJ

I agree that details matters.

Very few legal questions can be answered definitively. There are almost always exceptions.

It is well known by most on this forum that I have a real problem with definitive answers, especially on a forum where we never have access to all of the facts.
What I have a problem with is how you handle your responses to definitive answers. When I think that an answer has been make too definitive my response is generally that I have a slight or small disagreement with the answer and then outline why I think that.

When you have a problem with a definitive answer, you just say "not true" or other similar phrasing. I don't think that those kind of answers are fair to the posters, because you give the impression that an answer that is substantially true, or true with exceptions/qualification is wrong. You even do it to me sometimes when I have qualified an answer.

quincy

I am glad you found the responses helpful.

As one additional note: Although you might find employment/legal documents under the real names of Emmanuel Radnitzky, Malcolm Little, Earvin Johnson, Lawrence Peter Berra or Choo Yeang Keat (and others like them), it would not be surprising to find their resumes might have used their better-known nicknames/pseudonyms. Many people in many different fields are better known and recognized by their "false" names than their real names.

Now I am off to find a few buddies, some beer and a campfire to discuss some hypothetical something or other.

Last edited:
Reactions: CTU

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I am glad you found the responses helpful.

As one additional note: Although you might find employment/legal documents under the real names of Emmanuel Radnitzky, Malcolm Little, Earvin Johnson, Lawrence Peter Berra or Choo Yeang Keat (and others like them), it would not be surprising to find their resumes might have used their better-known nicknames/pseudonyms. Many people in many different fields are better known and recognized by their "false" names than their real names.

Now I am off to find a few buddies, some beer and a campfire to discuss some hypothetical something or other.
David Dennison?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Elsewhere the OP has indicated that this is, in fact, due to a real situation and not hypothetical at all. But for some reason he appears to find it difficult to understand that there are shades of grey and exceptions and when we attempt to answer questions with no context, we may give him incorrect information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">