• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can’t put my kids in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's been a few years, but the only fees I recall were pay-to-play for extra-curriculars in HS, and also for AP classes (to help defray the cost of the exams) but you could get those waived for need.

I reached out to a school board member for your school corporation and explained what you're experiencing. He wrote back and would like for you to contact him. He sent a phone number and his school board email address. I will send you the information (including my message to him) in a private message. I hope this helps you get the situation resolved.
Thank you so much, you went above and beyond.

So I spoke to the school board member today. The one I was given the phone number to. He was very polite to be honest. His solution to this is to borrow me the money to register my kids. I did ask him, okay but what about other kids in same situation as mine? There was no answer for that. He advised me not to seek legal counsel because it wouldn’t help my situation and he know there wouldn’t be much I can do and it would take to long. Then he proceeded to ask if he could help my husband with a job and I told him he already has one and thanked him anyways.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So I spoke to the school board member today. The one I was given the phone number to. He was very polite to be honest. His solution to this is to borrow me the money to register my kids. I did ask him, okay but what about other kids in same situation as mine? There was no answer for that. He advised me not to seek legal counsel because it wouldn’t help my situation and he know there wouldn’t be much I can do and it would take to long. Then he proceeded to ask if he could help my husband with a job and I told him he already has one and thanked him anyways.
Contact legal counsel.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I concur with OhioGAL and stealth.

Someone loaning you money solves your immediate problem, but given the demographics of your district, you are not alone.

People need to start going to school board meetings and complaining, and if there is no change, campaign for candidates to replace them.

quincy

I agree with the others that you need to get an attorney involved. Borrowing money so you can register your children in a public school is sheer nonsense.

I suggested media attention earlier as a way toward future reform but I am thinking this attention is needed now.

Good luck.

laurakaye

I thought for SURE that he would see *reason* and realize the policy is against the law.

In the letter, I referenced the law Whoops2u cited: g) No discrimination or punishment of any kind, including the lowering of grades or exclusion from classes, may be exercised against a student whose parents or guardians are unable to purchase required textbooks or instructional materials or to pay required fees [105 ILCS 5/28-19.2(a)]. (Found at ftp://www.ilga.gov/JCAR/AdminCode/023/023000010B02450R.html)

I was certain a school board member would see obvious MISTAKE the corporation is making. I'm floored. I hope Loyola Children's Law Center is able to help. From a personal perspective, him offering to loan you money was kind; however, from a global perspective, it solves nothing. You're doing this not only for you, but for others in the same situation. I admire you for that.

PayrollHRGuy

Just for the record, I don't see in the post where the school board member offered to actually loan the money. He did suggest a loan and asked if he could help the OP's husband find a job.

quincy

The fact that the school board member sees borrowing money or a new job as being the solution to registration of the children shows an unbelievable ignorance of the problem.

The problem is that the school is violating the law.

Many work full time but at minimum wage jobs with incomes that barely stretch to provide for adequate housing and necessities. This does not mean their children should be denied an education.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Just for the record, I don't see in the post where the school board member offered to actually loan the money. He did suggest a loan and asked if he could help the OP's husband find a job.
"His solution to this is to borrow me the money to register my kids. " I took this to mean that he would loan OP the money and get hubz a job as a left-handed attempt to keep her quiet. Time to make a big noise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">