• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do about a suspicion of apartment neighbor's drug use?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on this post, it sounds like you have a meth lab (or heavy meth users). Keep on the police about this.

quincy

I agree that having the police come to the building may be the best way to see if the smell should be one of concern. And, again, the health department can be contacted about air quality.

Good luck.

PAPP

Thank you for your reply, Zigner and quincy. I was surprised that both of you thought it was not far fetched. I thought the last reason was the least convincing one. I'm wondering why the last one is convincing you.

I checked the smell of meth. It doesn't sound the same smell that we have smelled in the hallway.

Last edited:

quincy

Thank you for your reply, Zigner and quincy. I was surprised that both of you thought it was not far fetched. I thought the last reason was the least convincing one. I'm wondering why the last one is convincing you.

I checked the smell of meth. It doesn't sound the same smell that we have smelled in the hallway. I could tell it is unusual smell and it is intense smell.
I obviously don't know if what you are smelling is from drugs or not. But I think you have options, if the smell is bothering you as much as it seems to be.

Good luck.

Last edited:

I checked the smell of meth. It doesn't sound the same smell that we have smelled in the hallway.
Meth is odorless to us, but not to dogs. You will smell the chemicals used in it's manufacture such as ether, acetone, toluene or ammonia.
If you smell any of these call the police because the other items used, which have no odor are lithium metal, red phosphorus and hydrogen chloride gas, all very dangerous.
And in case you ask I took the DEA meth lab class.

quincy

Meth is odorless to us, but not to dogs. You will smell the chemicals used in it's manufacture such as ether, acetone, toluene or ammonia.
If you smell any of these call the police because the other items used, which have no odor are lithium metal, red phosphorus and hydrogen chloride gas, all very dangerous.
And in case you ask I took the DEA meth lab class.
In other words, it is detectable in the same way natural gas is. By other smells.

So ... the DEA has meth labs, huh? That explains a lot. :)

quincy

It was a good, and frightening class, especially the photos and videos of the explosions and the burns to the 'makers' from the chemicals and the fires.
And I thought I had problems with my neighbors.
Some drug users are smarter than others.

PAPP

Thank you for your reply, quincy and NeilTheCop. I can say I definitely smell ligroin, but not acetone, toluene or ammonia which I can identify those smell. My understanding is ether and petroleum ether, ligroin, are different. I'm guessing a possibility of meth is low. However, I think some kind of chemicals involved things are happening in that area including the mothballs smell.

I don't know if it is OK for me to contact the police department again. Especially the mothball smell incidents were happened in the midnight like 3 am several times. Just asking to check the smell in the wee hours of the day is quite hesitating thing for me.

I have never thought about contacting the Health department. I will check my local office.

quincy

Thank you for your reply, quincy and NeilTheCop. I can say I definitely smell ligroin, but not acetone, toluene or ammonia which I can identify those smell. My understanding is ether and petroleum ether, ligroin, are different. I'm guessing a possibility of meth is low. However, I think some kind of chemicals involved things are happening in that area including the mothballs smell.

I don't know if it is OK for me to contact the police department again. Especially the mothball smell incidents were happened in the midnight like 3 am several times. Just asking to check the smell in the wee hours of the day is quite hesitating thing for me.

I have never thought about contacting the Health department. I will check my local office.
You might have more success getting a health department inspector out to check the air quality than you will the police ... although probably not at 3 am. :)

CdwJava

If you call when the odor is obvious, the police may respond and sniff the air or even knock on the offending door. But, as you have heard, there's not a lot they can do if they cannot gain voluntary compliance to enter the apartment. Absent a VERY distinct odor, and experienced officers with sufficiently experienced sniffers, it is unlikely they could compel any entry.

Getting the Health Department to take action at an apartment for a strange smell seems slim, and certainly not likely to respond in a timely manner if at all.

CdwJava

Maybe. Though, it may depend on the department. In my experience they want to see some medical diagnosis attributing it to something that could be attributed to the odor before running off and doing an inspection that they often lack the legal authority to engage in. But, there are 58 different departments so there are 58 different practices.

PAPP

Thank you for taking time to reply, quincy and CdwJava. I really want to try everything I can, but I understand what the police can do and can't do, I will look for other options. I still can't throw away an idea to find a drug detecting dog service, but even I somehow find it, I don't think they will show up in the middle of the night.:)

Thank you for the link, quincy. I will study it and find what I can do. I totally forgot that I contacted the state child health department or something like it when a smoke issue started. A person who answered me was very responsive and she contacted a related county department to get information for me. Sadly, she is no longer there, but I will contact that department, too.

I'm glad I found this forum. I have received many suggestions and information. Thank you again for taking time to reply my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">