• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Midwife/ OBGYN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rulenumber1

South Carolina

Thank you guys in advance!

My best friend's daughter just had her first baby. When I asked who I thought was the doctor, that was actually a midwife , what I could do to help she said go to the other side of the bed and when I tell her to push hold her legs and push them up. What a wonderful experience! That being said the mother did not have a wonderful experience at all. It was two weeks ago and still she is in so much pain she can hardly hold her baby. :(

She pushed for hour and a half. At one point the midwife said that I need to do an episiotomy. She picked up the scaffold and put it back now. I saw her pick up the scaffold the grandma saw her pick it up and put it back down.

FINALLY the baby was born, cleaned,mother held the baby for probably 15 minutes and the nurses take the baby to do their thing in the babies bassinet.

Finally the doctor comes in and starts doing the repair. 60 inches of stitchers!!

Grandma and I had no idea the extent of the damage.
Until later after she was moved to a room, and the nurse came in and told us.

The Midwife came in and told the mother she was sorry but she could not do the episiotomy without the doctor in the hospital.

The mother also heard the doctor and the Midwife arguing about the Midwife not doing the episiotomy. The Midwife said I've been trying to reach you for hours and was unable to reach you and could not do it without you being in the hospital.

They didn't make an appointment to see her until November 26th but because she was in so much pain we took her in last Monday. The doctor had me look at the extent of the damage. OMG! She has another appointment tomorrow and the doctor will decide if she needs to go back in the hospital and have more surgery.
My question is, can a midwife do an episiotomy legally when the doctor is not in the hospital or able to be reached? Or is this possibly the practice of OBGYN office?

FlyingRon

Episiotomies have always been contraversial both ways. One view is that the tearing that may come without the episiotomy, may be preferable healing-wise to the surgical cut.

Midwives come in various flavors, and yes it may be either illegal for her to go it alone on that procedure.

Frankly, your friend should get better first, and then if there is any lasting injury she can talk to a malpractice attorney about whether she has a case.

Just Blue

South Carolina

Thank you guys in advance!

My best friend's daughter just had her first baby. When I asked who I thought was the doctor, that was actually a midwife , what I could do to help she said go to the other side of the bed and when I tell her to push hold her legs and push them up. What a wonderful experience! That being said the mother did not have a wonderful experience at all. It was two weeks ago and still she is in so much pain she can hardly hold her baby. :(

She pushed for hour and a half. At one point the midwife said that I need to do an episiotomy. She picked up the scaffold and put it back now. I saw her pick up the scaffold the grandma saw her pick it up and put it back down.

FINALLY the baby was born, cleaned,mother held the baby for probably 15 minutes and the nurses take the baby to do their thing in the babies bassinet.

Finally the doctor comes in and starts doing the repair. 60 inches of stitchers!!

Grandma and I had no idea the extent of the damage.
Until later after she was moved to a room, and the nurse came in and told us.

The Midwife came in and told the mother she was sorry but she could not do the episiotomy without the doctor in the hospital.

The mother also heard the doctor and the Midwife arguing about the Midwife not doing the episiotomy. The Midwife said I've been trying to reach you for hours and was unable to reach you and could not do it without you being in the hospital.

They didn't make an appointment to see her until November 26th but because she was in so much pain we took her in last Monday. The doctor had me look at the extent of the damage. OMG! She has another appointment tomorrow and the doctor will decide if she needs to go back in the hospital and have more surgery.
My question is, can a midwife do an episiotomy legally when the doctor is not in the hospital or able to be reached? Or is this possibly the practice of OBGYN office?
Why would the Doctor have you look at the damage?

Rulenumber1

Episiotomies have always been contraversial both ways. One view is that the tearing that may come without the episiotomy, may be preferable healing-wise to the surgical cut.

Midwives come in various flavors, and yes it may be either illegal for her to go it alone on that procedure.

Frankly, your friend should get better first, and then if there is any lasting injury she can talk to a malpractice attorney about whether she has a case.

Most certainly her getting well is primary concern!

The reason for asking the question now is because we are going to ask for a second opinion if the doctor says she needs more surgery

Rulenumber1

Most certainly her getting well is primary concern!

The reason for asking the question now is because we are going to ask for a second opinion if the doctor says she needs more surgery
Also when she goes to the doctor tomorrow we would like to go with informed information.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why are you so involved? This is truthfully NONE of your legal business. Furthermore I highly doubt mom received five feet of stitches.

Rulenumber1

Why are you so involved? This is truthfully NONE of your legal business. Furthermore I highly doubt mom received five feet of stitches.
Their grandmother is my best friend! This is why I am involved! The mother is like a daughter to me! They both asked me for help. This is why I am involved!!

I assure you she received 60 in of stitchers! According to the midwife....

Thank you for your help Queen Bee..

And please go help somebody else I'm not interested in your type of help

I've been a member of this forum under different personas for many years.

Your comment has to be the rudest one I've ever received!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
60 stitches and 60 inches of stitches are quite different things. Are you quite sure you knew which?

It is most unusual for the doctor to ask a non-medical professional, who is not a family member no matter how close a friend, to "look at the damage". In what capacity did he make that request? Are you a nurse? A physician's assistant?

Just Blue

Their grandmother is my best friend! This is why I am involved! The mother is like a daughter to me! They both asked me for help. This is why I am involved!!

I assure you she received 60 in of stitchers! According to the midwife....

Thank you for your help Queen Bee..

And please go help somebody else I'm not interested in your type of help

I've been a member of this forum under different personas for many years.

Your comment has to be the rudest one I've ever received!
OhioGal is an attorney...The only attorney to respond to your thread....she was not rude. At. All.

Rulenumber1

Is this first time mother old enough to make her own decisions ?
Yes she is. She is not accustomed to forums and quite honestly it's just totally exhausted from and overwhelmed by the whole ordeal and has asked for my help.

I sent her a link to this thread and told her if she had any more questions to let me know.

quincy

Your best friend's daughter should wait to seek information from a medical professional who can review her medical records. An accurate accounting of what happened is necessary to determine if there is any legal action to consider.

As a note: You are only supposed to have one user name on this site. Registering under "different personas" is against the terms and conditions of this site.

Rulenumber1

Your best friend's daughter should wait to seek information from a medical professional who can review her medical records. An accurate accounting of what happened is necessary to determine if there is any legal action to consider.

As a note: You are only supposed to have one user name on this site. Registering under "different personas" is against the terms and conditions of this site.
Thank you Quincy great information!

I have tegistered under the different personas because I would forget on what I had used previously.

You have helped me numerous times. I think going back to 2005 dealing with foreclosure issues.
I don't even have that same email address lol.

I registered under rule number 1 last year under my business email. That way I won't forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">