• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never Ending Divorce Over Family Pet. Helllllpppp!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

Yep, Tennessee isn't a pet friendly state. But from a distance, what I'm seeing is that the s.t.b.x has got the OP's number in a way they found 100% predictable. This person is no dog lover, didn't have any relationship with this dog, but KNEW that the other party would interpret it as a hill to die on, thus no settlement, thus no divorce. No matter WHAT this OP offers the ex, they will not accept ANYTHING but the dog because they know this is the thing our OP will NOT give up. Really, really????? You offered joint custody to this person whom you claim is pet abusive, just so you could keep your dog away from them? You don't think they might abuse or neglect the kids if they had joint custody?

What it comes down to is that you'd likely get the dog back quickly if it weren't such a point with you. I suspect that your ex would drop this whole issue quicker than a baby daddy who finds out his momma isn't going to keep the kids if you simply said, "Here, it's not a big deal anymore. Take the dog, let's do the divorce, I'll get another dog, let's settle this."
You will never ever do that, right? Bingo!

As it is, let me give you an opinion. You are going to get nowhere with proving that you HAVE to have custody of the pet because you have documented proof that two years ago your ex kicked the dog, or failed to feed it, or verbally abused it. Tennessee courts just aren't that interested in pets and think you are being a little bit foolish to make that big of a deal over your dog, and they aren't going to be excited about making the court use its time to hear issues about a possible "pet abuse" and custody case when there are human children and human issues going waiting.

You can be sick of the courts, sick of the lawyers, sick of the divorce process, but the truth of the matter is that your ex has got your tune and is playing you like a banjo.

quincy

If you and your soon-to-be-ex cannot come to an agreement, tell your attorney you want him to fight against any additional continuances and that you want the judge to decide who gets the dog.

Although the odds might be in your favor that you will get the dog, be prepared to give the dog up.

Good luck.

Yep, Tennessee isn't a pet friendly state. But from a distance, what I'm seeing is that the s.t.b.x has got the OP's number in a way they found 100% predictable. This person is no dog lover, didn't have any relationship with this dog, but KNEW that the other party would interpret it as a hill to die on, thus no settlement, thus no divorce. No matter WHAT this OP offers the ex, they will not accept ANYTHING but the dog because they know this is the thing our OP will NOT give up. Really, really????? You offered joint custody to this person whom you claim is pet abusive, just so you could keep your dog away from them? You don't think they might abuse or neglect the kids if they had joint custody?

What it comes down to is that you'd likely get the dog back quickly if it weren't such a point with you. I suspect that your ex would drop this whole issue quicker than a baby daddy who finds out his momma isn't going to keep the kids if you simply said, "Here, it's not a big deal anymore. Take the dog, let's do the divorce, I'll get another dog, let's settle this."
You will never ever do that, right? Bingo!

As it is, let me give you an opinion. You are going to get nowhere with proving that you HAVE to have custody of the pet because you have documented proof that two years ago your ex kicked the dog, or failed to feed it, or verbally abused it. Tennessee courts just aren't that interested in pets and think you are being a little bit foolish to make that big of a deal over your dog, and they aren't going to be excited about making the court use its time to hear issues about a possible "pet abuse" and custody case when there are human children and human issues going waiting.

You can be sick of the courts, sick of the lawyers, sick of the divorce process, but the truth of the matter is that your ex has got your tune and is playing you like a banjo.
Joint custody is not something I want to do at all but at least I can know (to a certain extent) if the dog is not being taken care of. Look all I want is a judge to say who gets the dog, divorce granted. Yes I want the dog very much so but I am trying to figure out a way to get this over with and it would seem to me that way we can move on with our lives.

If you and your soon-to-be-ex cannot come to an agreement, tell your attorney you want him to fight against any additional continuances and that you want the judge to decide who gets the dog.

Although the odds might be in your favor that you will get the dog, be prepared to give the dog up.

Good luck.
Thank you. I have tried and tried and tried with that to no avail. I am well aware you never know what the courts will do. While it would crush me if I didn't win and the dog has been in my possession the full time I would obviously abide with any such ruling, I just want one to be made!

TigerD

King Solomon would cut the dog in half.
King Solomon was wise.

But we have no King Solomons in our judicial system anymore. Talk to your lawyer about objecting to the continuances.

TD

quincy

King Solomon would cut the dog in half.
King Solomon was wise.

But we have no King Solomons in our judicial system anymore. Talk to your lawyer about objecting to the continuances.

TD
I could see that go horribly wrong - resulting in a fight over who got which end. ;)

xylene

OP should be playing hardball with his stbx instead of capitulating to humor a manipulative person over a psychotic demand.

Pet custody is an insane thing to make a last stand on.

Figure out what they want and strangle that thing.

"Oh please anything but the dog" - not a power approach.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">