• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hare Krishna's are being bullied by a "street person"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zddoodah

If this guy should become "physically violent" the next time, am I legally allowed to hit him in the head with my cane as self-defense?
Possibly. Depends on the specific facts.
The specific facts are that we have a legal right to be on that corner. That "street bully" does not own that street. He makes his money by playing his guitar for tax-free donations. I am the taxpayer who pays taxes. Therefore, I and the other taxpayers "own that corner"
No. None of those facts are relevant to whether you are "legally allowed to hit him . . . with [your] cane." The specific facts that would be relevant to that legal issue are those relating to the "physical[] violen[ce]" that may or may not occur. Generally speaking, if he puts you in reasonable apprehension of an imminent physical touching, you likely would be justified in the use of non-lethal force in self-defense.

Also, the money that a busker receives is not "tax-free," and I doubt you have any personal knowledge of what this person's tax returns look like.

violas

No. None of those facts are relevant to whether you are "legally allowed to hit him . . . with [your] cane." The specific facts that would be relevant to that legal issue are those relating to the "physical[] violen[ce]" that may or may not occur. Generally speaking, if he puts you in reasonable apprehension of an imminent physical touching, you likely would be justified in the use of non-lethal force in self-defense.

Also, the money that a busker receives is not "tax-free," and I doubt you have any personal knowledge of what this person's tax returns look like.
[/QUOTe

Just Blue

So you believe he is reporting his donations every year to the IRS and is doing his tax returns each year?
The guy is living on the streets and lucky if he eats one meal per day. Are you so uncharitable that you would begrudge him the corner, and shelter that corner offers, because you want more passers by to see/hear you sing/chant?

zddoodah

So you believe he is reporting his donations every year to the IRS and is doing his tax returns each year?
Like you, I have no knowledge regarding this person's tax situation. Unlike you, I have not formed a belief regarding that matter because I have no factual basis to form an informed belief. Of course, this person's tax situation isn't the slightest bit relevant to the legal issue you raised, so I'm at a loss to understand why you brought it up.

quincy

Like you, I have no knowledge regarding this person's tax situation. Unlike you, I have not formed a belief regarding that matter because I have no factual basis to form an informed belief. Of course, this person's tax situation isn't the slightest bit relevant to the legal issue you raised, so I'm at a loss to understand why you brought it up.
Violas mentioned how her taxes helped pay for the street corner. That’s where the taxes come in. ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am not looking forward to any violence. I am just asserting my right "to not be bullied"
You don't seem all that tied to your faith as you are acting in a way that is antithetical to it. Try more yoga. You also are showing you are a hypocrite. How long have you been practicing?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You don't seem all that tied to your faith as you are acting in a way that is antithetical to it. Try more yoga. You also are showing you are a hypocrite. How long have you been practicing?
Hence Post #20.

I'm thinking that corner is "good" because there is more potential foot traffic, and the "street person" is aggravated as they're driving away those who might give him money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">