• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana Landlord Trying to Evict us because of ESA Animals?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SophiaHadez

What kind of fire hazard are you talking about?

You are free to report the fire hazard to your state's version of the housing authority, but if they deem the situation to be very hazardous, you could find yourself ousted immediately..
When we can go to court and show we have 4 years of Past Inspections that we have passed

And that he gave us notice to vacate when he learned we have emotional Support dogs but had asked him prior to getting them and was told "No they don't exist" and got hung up on

So that would prove he is not willing to follow the Housing Fair Housing plus the State Fair Housing act which legally says to make reasonable accommodations with a person that has a disability.

News flash - Having ESA dogs is having a disability and I have proof of that from my doctor in what it says in the ESA Letter.

Just Blue

Not when the Landlord has known about the cats and actually seen the cats and never said anything.

Plus the Landlord Violated the lease himself 9 years ago when the lease says Sewage is to be paid by Landlord not Tenant but yet my husband has been paying it for 9 years

Not to Mention he brought a Fire Hazard into one of his properties which is Illegal to do
And yet none of the landlords bad landlording was enough of an issue to p & m about until they told you to get rid of the pets.

The lease clearly states no pets. You not only bring in one pet but feel entitled to bring in 5. That is rather obnoxious.

Just so you know I was a tenant for decades. I am not "pro-landlord".

Just Blue

Tenant Rights below

1. You Have the Right to a Habitable Place to Live
Typically, leases have an “implied warranty of habitability.” What does this mean?

• “Habitable”means a safe and clean place to live, in compliance with local housing codes.
    • Keeping the rental premises habitable also means that landlords must follow state health and fire codes and maintain common areas.
    • The rental unit must be clean, with toilets, furnaces and windows working.
    • Locks must be on every outside door or doors that lead to a common area.
    • Keeping rental premises habitable includes maintaining the structural safety of the building and weatherproofing.
Putting a Fire Hazard in a house is not safe
What is this "fire hazard"? Why don't you move? Why would you fight to stay there if it is such a dangerous place to live?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under Indiana law, you are required to provide a written request for an accommodation in the form of an exception to the no-pets rule. This letter needs to explain that you or a family member has a disability and explains how the animal or animals are helpful. This is in addition to the doctor's letter; the letter from the doctor itself is not enough. Did you provide such a written request?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.in.gov/ihcda/files/Emotional_Support_Animal.pdf

When we can go to court and show we have 4 years of Past Inspections that we have passed

And that he gave us notice to vacate when he learned we have emotional Support dogs but had asked him prior to getting them and was told "No they don't exist" and got hung up on

So that would prove he is not willing to follow the Housing Fair Housing plus the State Fair Housing act which legally says to make reasonable accommodations with a person that has a disability.

News flash - Having ESA dogs is having a disability and I have proof of that from my doctor in what it says in the ESA Letter.
Having an ESA or a service animal or a disability does not mean you get to hold your landlord hostage.

Without a current lease all your landlord needs to do is provide proper notice (30 days for a monthly lease). No reason is necessary.

SophiaHadez

Under Indiana law, you are required to provide a written request for an accommodation in the form of an exception to the no-pets rule. This letter needs to explain that you or a family member has a disability and explains how the animal or animals are helpful. This is in addition to the doctor's letter; the letter from the doctor itself is not enough. Did you provide such a written request?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.in.gov/ihcda/files/Emotional_Support_Animal.pdf
Yes our lawyer sent one on Tuesday and we tried before that but he never answer them so that's why we are working with Legal Aid on this issue

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, you brought in the animals before getting the accommodation approved?

SophiaHadez

So, you brought in the animals before getting the accommodation approved?
Correct cause all we got with him was "No" or "they don't exist" yet anytime I call a place well use CRM properties most of there places say no pets correct?

When I ask CRM Properties about ESA dogs they say "As long you have documation from doctor or therapist"

So tell me why such a big agency would change there tune at ESA Dogs and our landlord being a &*$@ about it?

And according to what the Lawyer sent if you read through it prior authorization is not needed but is usually done

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay. Clearly there is only one answer you are prepared to accept.

You have an attorney. What is it that you expect these message boards to do for you? Particularly since you're not prepared to accept anything we tell you?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That doesn't answer my question.

What are you looking for the board to do for you?

SophiaHadez

That doesn't answer my question.

What are you looking for the board to do for you?
If you actually read through it you'll see the Fair Housing states that there be modifications made to no pet policy with an ESA Letter so you all saying otherwise is bs

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, since you won't tell us what the board can do to help you, you're on your own. I didn't ask you what the law said; I asked you how we can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">