• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana Landlord Trying to Evict us because of ESA Animals?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

So him Violating the lease first 9 years ago doesn't count? The Lease works both ways not one

The Landlord was the first person to violate the lease in anyway shape or forum.

And Break the Law with bringing a Fire Hazard into one of his properties
What do you want this forum to do for you, SophiaHadaz?

Just Blue

So him Violating the lease first 9 years ago doesn't count? The Lease works both ways not one

The Landlord was the first person to violate the lease in anyway shape or forum.

And Break the Law with bringing a Fire Hazard into one of his properties
So why do you want to stay there?

SophiaHadez

So why do you want to stay there?
My husband tried every place that he could before he found our current Landlord

Our Current Landlord was the only one who said "Yes"

Probably because neither of us have credit he can't even get a loan trust me we tried

Just Blue

Probably because neither of us have credit he can't even get a loan trust me we tried
So, he has lived there 10 years and still has bad credit? Did nothing to improve it?

Then one would think if one had such a slim chance of getting another apartment, then one would not do anything to jeopardize their current situation. Such as getting pets and violating the lease.

One would think. :rolleyes:

quincy

Monthly rent payments and utility payments can be reported to credit bureaus to help build credit, if you request this of the property owner and the utility companies. Timely payments are important, however, if you decide to do this in the future.

SophiaHadez

So, he has lived there 10 years and still has bad credit? Did nothing to improve it?

Then one would think if one had such a slim chance of getting another apartment, then one would not do anything to jeopardize their current situation. Such as getting pets and violating the lease.

One would think. :rolleyes:
But it's okay for the Landlord to violate it every time they come without any prior notice, for not fixing issues like Toilet/ Bed Bugs/ Roaches and any damages to the inside of the house from wear and tear for the past 10 years?

Not to Mention - Fire Hazard Condition Law Broken

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh for the love of heaven.

You're right. The landlord is absolute scum and you are entirely justified in violating your lease just because you want to.

Now that I've told you what you want to hear, will you FINALLY tell us what it is that you expect from this board?

LdiJ

When I got to this thread it already had 5 pages. I did not see this addressed in the first two pages so I apologize if someone already addressed it.

OP, you said that the landlord gave you notice to vacate. Therefore, he is not attempting an eviction at this time. You apparently do not realize that the landlord is not required to continue to rent to anyone. He does not need a reason to give someone a notice to vacate when they are on a month to month lease. You are on a month to month lease because neither of you have signed a lease since 2014. Therefore, when the original lease expired it automatically went to a month to month situation. He could have given you a notice to vacate without giving you any reason at all, at it would have been perfectly legal. There is no legal method that you can use to force him to continue to rent to you.

If you do not honor the notice to vacate THEN he can file for an eviction and he does not have to cite any reason other than the fact that he gave you a notice to vacate and you did not move out. I live in Indiana and I personally used that exact method to get someone to move out of my house. I gave them a notice to vacate, and when they did not leave, I filed for an eviction and they were forced out.

Please understand again, that there is no legal method available to you to force the landlord to let you stay. He does not have to have any kind of particular reason to give you a notice to vacate. The fact that he did is irrelevant.

Do yourself a favor and find a new place ASAP so that you don't end up with your belongings on the curb because you did not get out by the deadline.

SophiaHadez

When I got to this thread it already had 5 pages. I did not see this addressed in the first two pages so I apologize if someone already addressed it.

OP, you said that the landlord gave you notice to vacate. Therefore, he is not attempting an eviction at this time. You apparently do not realize that the landlord is not required to continue to rent to anyone. He does not need a reason to give someone a notice to vacate when they are on a month to month lease. You are on a month to month lease because neither of you have signed a lease since 2014. Therefore, when the original lease expired it automatically went to a month to month situation. He could have given you a notice to vacate without giving you any reason at all, at it would have been perfectly legal. There is no legal method that you can use to force him to continue to rent to you.

If you do not honor the notice to vacate THEN he can file for an eviction and he does not have to cite any reason other than the fact that he gave you a notice to vacate and you did not move out. I live in Indiana and I personally used that exact method to get someone to move out of my house. I gave them a notice to vacate, and when they did not leave, I filed for an eviction and they were forced out.

Please understand again, that there is no legal method available to you to force the landlord to let you stay. He does not have to have any kind of particular reason to give you a notice to vacate. The fact that he did is irrelevant.

Do yourself a favor and find a new place ASAP so that you don't end up with your belongings on the curb because you did not get out by the deadline.

Then why is our Legal Aid Lawyer whos the boss of Layfette Office telling us differently even in the letter she sent states that maybe you didn't read it??

Just Blue

But it's okay for the Landlord to violate it every time they come without any prior notice, for not fixing issues like Toilet/ Bed Bugs/ Roaches and any damages to the inside of the house from wear and tear for the past 10 years?
Apparently, it is. You continued to live there and did nothing.

Now if I had such a landlord, I would have reported them to the state DOH (or whatever name your state has for such violations). I would not continue to live there month after month and year after year. I would also not bring kittens and puppies by the hoard into such an environment.

Just as you proclaim that the LL consented to the cats by not evicting you sooner, you also consented to the poor conditions by doing nothing.

See how that works? ;)

LdiJ

Then why is our Legal Aid Lawyer whos the boss of Layfette Office telling us differently even in the letter she sent states that maybe you didn't read it??
I am not going to look through 5 pages of posts trying to find that letter. If you want to tell me what post number you included it in I will look at it.

SophiaHadez

Apparently, it is. You continued to live there and did nothing.

Now if I had such a landlord, I would have reported them to the state DOH (or whatever name your state has for such violations). I would not continue to live there month after month and year after year. I would also not bring kittens and puppies by the hoard into such an environment.

Just as you proclaim that the LL consented to the cats by not evicting you sooner, you also consented to the poor conditions by doing nothing.

See how that works? ;)
By the hoard really?? Your funny :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And neither of them are puppies there both ADULT dogs geesh go back and do some reading of what my doctor put on the ESA Letter and the letter that was sent by Legal Aid Boss

We did not get ANY of the animals by the hoard - Two come from Humane Society with different dates on adoption paperwork that I still have
the third my husband has had for 10+ years she is an old cat and you can tell she is an old cat

The Dogs - Were also gotten at different dates not the same time

You really need your head screwed on right if you think we did by the hoard and i can prove otherwise

quincy

I recommend you work with and listen to the advice and direction of your legal aid lawyer. This lawyer is more informed than any of us can hope to be. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">