• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FENCE AND WATER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wendy217

The county inspector told me to contact his manager. I think he didn't want to make the code violation call. I told him the pipe-like device was on my property (on the other side of fence) and he said he couldn't see it. Since he couldn't see it, he couldn't make them move it! It was covered up with river rock and that's why he couldn't see it. The neighbor also came outside screaming that I was a liar. He was completely out of control. I simply said I cannot take all of your water from your property. It was too much for my small backyard. I will make contact this week with his manager.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Wait... the neighbor has a pipe on your side of the line, buried in river rock?

(I'd been previously under the misimpression that your problem was just run off due to the land being elevated/added dirt.)

Wendy217

Yes, they do. It's like a material prefab sock thing to flow water and it ends at my fence. It of course cannot be seen because it's under their river rock. The water flows right into my fence. The inspector also saw that they raised their property by a foot. I now get all of that water, plus overflow from drywell, and now this swale. It's crazy. The neighbor kept screaming, "you are lower than me". This is how it goes. The inspector said it should be 6 feet back from property line, but remember, he couldn't see it.

Last edited:

Wendy217

UPDATE: I pulled part of my fence down yesterday. I am getting ready for the surveyor to come. What I learned was that MY FENCE on my property is HOLDING UP THEIR YARD!!! My fence has been acting like a retaining wall. What the h_ll!!! There is one slat of wood placed horizontally on my fence that if moved their yard would come tumbling down into my yard! I really want to call their landscapers and say what are you thinking!

Wendy217

County cited this owner!!! He said he put out an order of violation. He wasn't happy with what they did and could see exactly what they did to the property. He also stopped a fence permit. My survey showed them on my property quite a bit i.e., over a foot! They are in big trouble.

Wendy217

Oh, this is a better update than I was expecting! Hopefully the neighbor isn't retaliatory and this will all be resolved soon.
They are punks. They wouldn't listen and now they answer to the county. Believe me, I am bit nervous about any retaliatory measures they may take. Seriously, what can they do to me? I have been a good neighbor. I am quiet and go to work everyday. They have young child (3) and a dog. It would be really stupid for them to be jerks anymore than they have already been. I didn't start this fight.

FarmerJ

Just so you know how much they are perhaps you may want to begin shopping for so called outdoor nanny type cams or cameras that can be placed inside the home at a window incase you find that you have to begin to record the outside of your property ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">