• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want to share custody or have visitation with stepkids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sabrinashubby

What is the name of your state? new york my wife has two children from a previous relationship, a 4 yr old boy and a 3 yr old girl. she and the father share custody of them, and ive been in their lives for more then two years. if anything were to happen to my wife, is there any possible way i could share custody of them with their father, or at least get visitation? i love them very much.

Rushia

sabrinashubby said:
What is the name of your state? new york my wife has two children from a previous relationship, a 4 yr old boy and a 3 yr old girl. she and the father share custody of them, and ive been in their lives for more then two years. if anything were to happen to my wife, is there any possible way i could share custody of them with their father, or at least get visitation? i love them very much.
Do you and your wife have children together?

S

sabrinashubby

yes our angel ashley

yes we have a daughter ashley she is almost 2. shes the only child we will ever have

Rushia

sabrinashubby said:
yes we have a daughter ashley she is almost 2. shes the only child we will ever have
The only way that I can think of is this (provided that you and the father can't work something out on your own).

NY has a statute that may provide for your daughter to sue for visitation with her siblings. You would have to petition for your daughter. There is no guarantee that you/your daughter would win. Look up DRL 71. I believe that is the statute you need to look at.

Rushia

I'm going to further clarify this for you since I caught you on another thread telling a stepparent that they will have no rights to the child. YOU will still have no rights to the children even if your daughter were to win. Visitation could be set up several different ways so that the CHILDREN could see each other, doesn't necessarily have to include you.

I'm sorry but if offends me to see you here asking the same question, then turning around and slamming another stepparent.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
sabrinashubby said:
if your husband is the child's father, he and the child's mother are the only ones who can get joint physical custody and/or joint legal custody. legally, YOU are not in the picture at all.
I'll give you your own words right back:

if your wife is the child's mother, she and the child's father are the only ones who can get joint physical custody and/or joint legal custody. legally, YOU are not in the picture at all.

You seem to be pretty clear on how it all works. :rolleyes:

Rushia

baystategirl said:
Who does this remind you of? ;)
I'm starting to wonder. Started a thead, didn't really respond to it. Told a stepparent they had no rights. Sigh....I should have known better than trying to help.

Just Blue

Rushia said:
I'm starting to wonder. Started a thead, didn't really respond to it. Told a stepparent they had no rights. Sigh....I should have known better than trying to help.

Yeah...I am hesitant to say anything ....I don't want to seem paranoid :eek: ...but this really "smells" like her!!

Rushia

baystategirl said:
Yeah...I am hesitant to say anything ....I don't want to seem paranoid :eek: ...but this really "smells" like her!!
I didn't "smell" anything until the other post "he" made.

Edit: Now he's back and just reviewing the two threads. Sigh, Is that smell getting a little stonger?

Just Blue

Rushia said:
I didn't "smell" anything until the other post "he" made.

When I saw the first post ...I was thinking to myself that it seemed like "her" writing...and then when I saw the other post......It really must be her...has the BOLD TITLE PRINT..she is looking over that thread right now...

Mbarr77

baystategirl said:
When I saw the first post ...I was thinking to myself that it seemed like "her" writing...and then when I saw the other post......It really must be her...has the BOLD TITLE PRINT..she is looking over that thread right now...

Okay, I know I may sound really stupid by asking this, but how or where can you tell who is reviewing a thread? (i know it is a dumb question)

Rushia

baystategirl said:
Musta put my edit in at the same time. LOL.

Rushia

Mbarr77 said:
Okay, I know I may sound really stupid by asking this, but how or where can you tell who is reviewing a thread? (i know it is a dumb question)
It's a secret. Turn on your pm's and I will tell you... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">