• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14-year-old charged with terroristic threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seniorjudge

I have spoken to about eight attorneys today, by the way, and not a single one of them thinks this is a justified type of charge, but instead a reflection of how crazy our society has gotten today. Years ago (several of them stated) nobody would have batted an eye at kids saying things like that to one another, but today becuase of Columbine and Virginia Tech, the adults have gone koo-koo and are overdoing everything.

It was very nice to speak to lawyers of sound mind and good judgment. It gives me hope. I am going to made a decision on one of them real soon.
Why did you talk to 8 attorneys?

VeronicaLodge

I was wondering the same thing. If you found one that thinks you have such a great case and is willing to take it, why did you talk to 7 more?

CdwJava

Some attorneys will tell a potential client whatever they want to hear ... that way, they get the job!

- Carl

tualha

The court gave me a list of 20 potential attorneys, and I talked to eight of them because I was getting all kinds of prices, but pretty much the same story from each - and nothing like anybody on here is saying. Anyway, I have picked one of them.

CdwJava

The court gave me a list of 20 potential attorneys, and I talked to eight of them because I was getting all kinds of prices, but pretty much the same story from each - and nothing like anybody on here is saying. Anyway, I have picked one of them.
Well, hopefully your son has learned that words can have consequences.

Different states have different laqws. In my state, I doubt we would be prosecuting this, either ... though we WOULD be investigating it because of the situation.

- Carl

tualha

Oh, he's had plenty of people tell him he really would be better of keeping his mouth shut already six months ago. Just hope he doesn't develop any resentment. He did six months ago, but got over it and forgot about . But now - here we go again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You hope HE doesn't develop any resentment? Oh brother. Your son has problems -- the biggest one you can see by looking in the mirror. Your son has severe trouble ahead of him because you refuse to acknowledge the fact that he has done anything wrong and you excuse his actions and then you take pity on him for the trouble he got himself in to.

tualha

I certainly wouldn't recommend to my son that he say what he did, but is it a terroristic threat? That is what I have an issue with - the adult reaction to this. Like my son said, "Adults are paranoid and this world is really crazy." Adults under stress or in difficult situations sometimes loose it and do or say crazy things, yet we don't go prosecuting each other left and right. People are usually understanding of what causes someone to react and this has a diffusing effect. Yet society somehow has developed the strange custom of incriminating children at the drop of a hat. This is not healthy and traumatizes them, and creates unfounded self-doubt in kids and lack of trust in the adults in this world. It is the effects of this that I am trying to mitigate in my son, but I think he's going to be okay. If he and other kids survive this sort of thing, the world will be a better place when they are adults - they will change it.

CourtClerk

That's right... tell your son he can continue to go around threatening folks and shooting hummingbirds. He's right....

We're all wrong and irrational human beings. Please keep your juvenile delinquent on the East Coast.

CdwJava

ILike my son said, "Adults are paranoid and this world is really crazy."
Adults in a position of care over our children are paranoid because experience has made them that way. Typically, threats to harm another are indicators of future behavior and on occasion they are actually followed through with. I can't begin to tell you the number of Columbine style incidents that have been prevented because of this type of early intervention.

Frankly, I think you hold a little too much stock in your son's opinion of the situation. He made the mistake, and he needs to acknowledge it. If he refuses to acknowledge his responsibility, he is in for a lot more trouble in the future.

Adults under stress or in difficult situations sometimes loose it and do or say crazy things, yet we don't go prosecuting each other left and right.
You should listen to the calls the police receive. Adults DO call when a neighbor threatens to beat them or to shoot them.

However, with "terrorist threats" it does not matter what the intent of the speaker is, but the belief of the receiver coupled with the speaker's apparent ability to carry out the act. Most adults understand that people say stupid things in anger and experience has taught us that these threats tend to be baseless. However, experience has also taught us that these threats at school have had horrendous consequences and are indicators of greater problems. Intervention and investigation is the best strategy. Waiting and crossing our fingers too has often resulted in dead kids.

If he and other kids survive this sort of thing, the world will be a better place when they are adults - they will change it.
I doubt it. Because, when he grows up, if he matures and learns about the reasoning behind the rules, he will understand that they have been created to minimize risk and to intervene BEFORE we have another Columbine style shooting.

Also understand that in some of these shootings it has been the receiver of these statements that have gone off BECAUSE the school and the police refused to take any action. So, by intervening we stand a chance of preventing violence by one or both parties.

- Carl

tualha

My son's got no problem acknowledging anything at all - knows what he said was stupid. He also understands the reasoning behind the way adults act, but thinks it's faulty and overreacting. Maybe some kids will go off BECAUSE they are being treated like criminals - that is my worry.

CdwJava

Maybe some kids will go off BECAUSE they are being treated like criminals - that is my worry.
Fortunately, we do not react based on what the suspect MIGHT do. If that were the case, we would never discipline, investigate, or arrest anyone.

Since there is no body of knowledge anywhere I am familiar with that shows that contact with school authorities or police push students over the edge, you should cease your worrying.

NO school shooting I am aware of in the last 15 years has been attributed to prior police or school admin. accusations of the attacker.

- Carl

fcobarr

And when law enforcement doesn't act and something like columbine or Va Tech happens, then everyone jumps at law enforcement for not doing anything to prevent it.

Your school and/or local law enforcement did the right thing. As a society we're in a vicious cycle and it's better to err on the side of caution.

I also have to agree that a child's behaviour is also influenced from their parents. I was also bullied in school but any retaliation/aggravation on my part was met with discipline at home. My parents understood I was bullied, but the point was always that my response was wrong.

I didn't read all 4 pages, but have you ever met with the teachers or spoken witht he principal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">