• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14-year-old charged with terroristic threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lealea1005

My son's got no problem acknowledging anything at all - knows what he said was stupid. He also understands the reasoning behind the way adults act, but thinks it's faulty and overreacting. Maybe some kids will go off BECAUSE they are being treated like criminals - that is my worry.

Does he think it was a stupid thing to say because he admits his behavior was inappropriate, immature, and showed a lack of impulse control, OR does he now think it's stupid because he was reported and has to accept the responsibility and consquences for saying it?

A responsible adult, in a similar social situation (school, work, etc) may become upset, or even irate, with another person but has the maturity and self control not to make threats.

Instead of making excuses for your son's "stupid" behavior, perhaps you can help him by finding and enrolling him in conflict resolution classes.

Why does your son think it's acceptable to kill hummingbirds? What did they ever do to him?

Last edited:

Bear44857

How would you feel if it was reversed and it was your son as the one threatened with this same statement?

Then also tell me how you would feel if you reacted to your son being threatened the same way you are reacting now and because you thought it was NO BIG DEAL that the other said this your son ended up hurt?

Who would be at fault then? You for thinking it was no big deal? Or the school for not intervening?

My guess is the school and then a big lawsuit.

Why dont you start thinking of it that way?

momzlooznit

Okay, he is now finally being charged 5-1/2 months later. According to the notice I am supposed to get an attorney for him. In speaking to an attorney about this matter, he asked me what I would like the outcome of this case to be. I said I thought the whole thing was ridiculous and should probably be dismissed. He then said I should just defend him myself if I thought the case was ridiculous. Why spend money on an attorney if I think it is ridiculous, he said. I would love to just defend him myself, but can I? I can't believe this attorney told me this, but he says he has seen many parents do it. Has anyone ever heard of this? The court tells me I have to get one.
Okay... are you serious? The attorney was being sarcastic. Frankly, I agree. If your son in two different circumstances threatened to "shoot someone like the mockingbirds he shoots at home". Then wallpapered a slogan about the school and bombs, in the school, on school property. I would be the first parent demanding someone take action. Your son's meltdown's and lack of control does not for one minute justify him in being a bully, stalker or anything else. You just keep telling yourself all is right with your son and it's everyone else who has it wrong.
If your son had already been in counseling for "a couple months" before the first incident. My suggestion would be FIND ANOTHER THERAPIST!!! The one you have is not working. You need to step up and parent, stop making excuses for this boy. It IS NOT normal for 14 yo boys to threaten to shoot anyone nor is it normal to "jokingly" paste bomb threats on the walls of school buildings.
Instead of spending time posting, get your son (and you) to counseling. Go hire an attorney who may or may not be able to help your son. I can assure you there is not a lawyer alive who can help, if your son acts this way in a court of law.

Not a lawyer, just a mom...
It is far easier to raise boys than to mend men.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">