• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank account closed with 3k and they don’t want to give me a check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woolfork

What is the name of your state?
I’m in Michigan

So I’ve had this Accountnow / Metabank account for about 3 years. Always kept a small balance, not more than 1k. Recently I started using the account more, and the balance grew to $3,320.

I tried to use the card and was declined, when I called I was told the account had been closed.

In itself not a big deal, but then they tell me they will not issue me a check for the balance left in the account.
Instead they want me to have PayPal ( the source of the funds) to send them a letter telling them to refund the balance to that account.
Very odd, but I called PayPal anyway to see if they would do this, they had never heard of such an action being required. They advised me not to have the funds sent back, they said there was a high risk of the payment getting lost or being delayed.

Accountnow / metabank support is still insistent that they will not send me a check, but they will not admit that they are holding my funds.
Support is terrible, most the time they intentionally disconnect the call or put it on a never ending hold session.
It’s clear that they are trying to steal the funds, there was never any reason to close the account, it just finally had a fair amount of money in it.

Any advice is appreciated, my advice for anyone reading this is to say far away from metabank.

adjusterjack

I'm guessing Metabank is an online and/or out of state bank.

You might check with state or federal banking regulators and see if there is any help there.

xylene

I tried to use the card and was declined, when I called I was told the account had been closed.
Ask in writing for a written explanation for why and how the account was closed and why they will not give you your money and also reequest a check in writing. Do so by certified mail.

the account holder agrement states

13. Amendment and Cancellation

We may amend or change the terms of this Agreement at any time without prior notice to you except as required by applicable law. We may cancel or suspend your Card or this Agreement at any time without prior notice to you except as required by applicable law. You may cancel this Agreement by returning your Card(s) to us. Your termination of this Agreement will not affect any of our rights or your obligations arising under this Agreement prior to termination. Should your Card Account be closed, we will issue you a credit for any unpaid balances.
Does their paypal suggestion consitute a valid credit? I'm inclined to think not, but this is a weird product for the under-banked and they've usually thought out the angles.

Dandy Don

Do you have an account with Paypal?

Have you recently made purchases on Paypal?

Please check your Paypal account to see if they show what your current balance is.

Woolfork

Do you have an account with Paypal?

Have you recently made purchases on Paypal?

Please check your Paypal account to see if they show what your current balance is.
Yes I do have the paypal account still that the funds were sent from. I have many incoming transactions, and many outgoing transactions.
Paypal has advised me not to have the funds sent back to them, they say there is a good change of them getting lost in transit or being delayed.

Woolfork

I suspect that the bank suspects fraud.
I would assume your right, I am a high volume seller on ebay and have been transferring out a fair amount of money recently. Regardless what they might assume about fraud, I don't think that gives them a valid reason to refuse to send me a paper check for the funds in my account. I would even understand if they wanted to hold these funds for 90-180 days, but they say they will never issue a check by mail.

xylene

Get that in writting.

Ask them if they will ACH or wire the money to another bank or financial institution.

At worst they will escheat the money to the state they are registered in and you will have to file a unclaimed property action (easy enough) though that could take a very long time.

Dandy Don

If you know what state the Metabank does business out of (if you know their exact street address or mailing address), contact the bank examiner for that state and file a complaint.

PayrollHRGuy

I believe they operate out of South Dakota. They have routing numbers for 4 or 5 separate areas but they all like back to a SD address. That would be a good place to start.

Woolfork

I guess I'm hesitant to file a complaint because some of the accounts in question were created using a CPN number. Still no fraud, the money in the account is mine, but maybe a bit of tax evasion.

Woolfork

How is the use of a cpn fraud? I’m not ripping anyone off. I’m Not taking loans or opening lines of credit or utilities that I don’t plan on paying. I may be avoiding lots of taxes, certainly more than the 3k my Accountnow card had on it.

xylene

How is the use of a cpn fraud? I’m not ripping anyone off. I’m Not taking loans or opening lines of credit or utilities that I don’t plan on paying. I may be avoiding lots of taxes, certainly more than the 3k my Accountnow card had on it.
please.

just stop. the bank is not going to be complicit in you petty tax scheme.

you should have mentioned this in your first post and saved us all a lot of time reading terms and conditions in search of a reason... when the reason they won't deal with you is OBVIOUS - your fake social security number!

Just Blue

You do understand that tax evasion is a federal crime, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">