• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackmail/rape?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

One would hope ... though, I wonder how common exceptions are granted in cases where the victim opposes such a restriction?

quincy

Utah takes domestic violence pretty seriously (unlike your great state of California ;)). I would think counseling for both the abused and abuser would come before any unsupervised contact, regardless of any possible pleas for contact made by the victim.

From Utah's Legislature when drafting the new law: "Because of the serious, unique, and highly traumatic nature of domestic violence crimes, the high recidivism rate of violent offenders, and the demonstrated increased risk of continued acts of violence subsequent to the release of a perpetrator who is convicted of domestic violence, it is the finding of the Legislature that domestic violence crimes warrant the issuance of continuous protective orders ..,"

The rest can be read in the links provided earlier.

Last edited:

CdwJava

California led the way, but the claims of "family" seem to have watered down the end result. I think that DAs have gotten weary fighting against the rising tide of victims refusing to cooperate. Though, this trend can vary by county.

quincy

True. A civil suit could be possible.

The wife could be compensated for physical and emotional harm suffered. There is no indication that she has sought any medical or mental health treatment.

It would not be an easy action to pursue. And I think the wife needs to file a police report before considering a civil action. But she might want to discuss both with an attorney in her area

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">