• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sign a Document with V.C. (Vi Coactus) After My Name, Instead of Before

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichiganWorker

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I work in Michigan at a hotel.

My boss has been verbally-abusive towards all the employees where I am, and has written me up on disciplinary reports for things like not wringing out a mop correctly and has threatened to fire me.

The last two disciplinary reports I signed with my name and V.C. (Vi Coactus) after my name.

Today will be my third write-up when I come to work tonight, and that will be because I was sweeping the lobby with a different type of broom than that one he wanted me to use. (Though I wasn't aware of it at the time)

He has been screaming at other employees as well every day and threatening to fire them for small things.

I need to know that tonight when I tell him that I signed the last two disciplinary reports with V.C. that they still count as voiding the document.

When I originally heard about Vi Coactus I didn't realize it was usually put before the signature, but I am hoping it will count even though it was added after my signature.

Thank you for your time.

eerelations

Writing "Vi Coactus" before or after (or above or below) your signature on a disciplinary report does not legally void said disciplinary report. Period. It is a waste of ink.

Absent a legally enforceable contract that states otherwise, your employer is legally free to fire you for pretty much any reason, including no reason. In law, disciplinary reports don't count, whether or not they have "Vi Coactus" (or anything else, for that matter) written on them.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I work in Michigan at a hotel.

My boss has been verbally-abusive towards all the employees where I am, and has written me up on disciplinary reports for things like not wringing out a mop correctly and has threatened to fire me.

The last two disciplinary reports I signed with my name and V.C. (Vi Coactus) after my name.

Today will be my third write-up when I come to work tonight, and that will be because I was sweeping the lobby with a different type of broom than that one he wanted me to use. (Though I wasn't aware of it at the time)

He has been screaming at other employees as well every day and threatening to fire them for small things.

I need to know that tonight when I tell him that I signed the last two disciplinary reports with V.C. that they still count as voiding the document.

When I originally heard about Vi Coactus I didn't realize it was usually put before the signature, but I am hoping it will count even though it was added after my signature.

Thank you for your time.
Have you spoken to the HR department about the verbal abuse?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am glad that the OP came online to ask these questions BEFORE putting foot in mouth with the employer

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I'm sorry to tell you that the Latin phrase vi coactus is not one found in American law. It appears nowhere in Black's Law Dictionary, 10th Ed. which is the long established leading legal dictionary used by lawyers and the courts in the U.S. (The 10th Ed. has just been replaced by 11th Ed. this year, so it is still very current.) Nor does it appear in any Michigan case law or, indeed, the case law of any state. My research indicates that the phrase has been used, though very infrequently, in English law. So in England maybe it would have some effect. But it has no effect here.

The purpose of signing with that phrase before your signature in English law is to indicate that you are signing the document under duress. If you were truly under duress then in the U.S. you don't need that phrase. Agreements you sign under duress are not enforceable against you. But most Americans misunderstand what duress means. Duress means that you were compelled to sign under threat of physical force (e.g. "I'll break your kneecaps if you don't sign") or that some other form of ILLEGAL pressure was applied to induce you to sign. Your employer has the right to fire you for pretty much any reason, so a threat to fire you if you don't sign is not duress. Using VC wouldn't change that even if it were recognized in the U.S.

The bottom line here is that your use of VC either before or after your name was ineffective and useless. It did not alter the effect of your signature on the document. That said, when it comes to performance reviews, the commonly accepted view is that signing a performance review/disciplinary write up typically means only that you acknowledge that the review was shared with you, not that you agree to your manager's criticisms unless the document expressly states that you do agree with it.

I suggest you not argue the VC thing to your employer. It will do you no good and it is likely to make the employer think you are unwilling to listen to his reviews and requests for improvement, which is a pretty sure way to be shown the door.

FlyingRon

IDuress means that you were compelled to sign under threat of physical force (e.g. "I'll break your kneecaps if you don't sign") or that some other form of ILLEGAL pressure was applied to induce you to sign.
Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured him that either his brains or his signature would be on the contract.

MichiganWorker

You'll get the same answers here as on the other forum.
Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured him that either his brains or his signature would be on the contract.
It must be nice to live a sheltered-life, watching the Godfather all day in your mom's basement and digging through a bucket of popcorn. I salute you.

Also, the people where I work are pretty sad and distraught - they have to work jobs in the real world - not movie-land.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">