• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sign a Document with V.C. (Vi Coactus) After My Name, Instead of Before

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichiganWorker

Have you spoken to the HR department about the verbal abuse?

Thank you for perhaps the first genuinely compassionate reply I've seen on the forums - we don't have an HR, though a co-worker has spoken to the company-owner, but they don't seem to care.

It seems that other law-students/lawyers on the forums are either blind or indifferent to the potentially-illegal things employers seem to do to their employees - harassment is illegal, right? Or are employers magically-immune when it comes to following the law?

The category for what my employer (and many other people's employers) has been doing seems to fall under harassment - but again, with the indifference I've seen the law students and lawyers show towards descriptions of these situations - I'd assume that they're secretly married to these employers or something. :unsure:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Perhaps the guy on Youtube was in a country where that phrase has a legal meaning. Perhaps he was mistaken about its validity.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not all verbal abuse is illegal harassment. It depends on the reason for the abuse. So far, nothing you have posted indicates that you are experiencing the illegal kind.

eerelations

Thank you for perhaps the first genuinely compassionate reply I've seen on the forums - we don't have an HR, though a co-worker has spoken to the company-owner, but they don't seem to care.

It seems that other law-students/lawyers on the forums are either blind or indifferent to the potentially-illegal things employers seem to do to their employees - harassment is illegal, right? Or are employers magically-immune when it comes to following the law?

The category for what my employer (and many other people's employers) has been doing seems to fall under harassment - but again, with the indifference I've seen the law students and lawyers show towards descriptions of these situations - I'd assume that they're secretly married to these employers or something. :unsure:
So more than a few legal experts here (including at least two lawyers) gave you good accurate legal information,...and this is how you respond? Wow.

MichiganWorker

So more than a few legal experts here (including at least two lawyers) gave you good accurate legal information,...and this is how you respond? Wow.
I've seen some mockery on this and other forums - that is what is surprising.

I would have thought that law students and lawyers would be more mature and compassionate than that.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
It's not the first I've heard of using V.C. on a document, but I am wondering why some guy on youtube would apparently blatantly lie about such a thing.
For the same reason people lie about other things. Like income taxes are illegal. Or citizen's sovereign immunity. Or [insert your favorite conspiracy theory here]. Sometimes it's ignorance, sometimes it's mental illness, sometimes they just like to see how many people they can fool.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I've seen some mockery on this and other forums - that is what is surprising.

I would have thought that law students and lawyers would be more mature and compassionate than that.
If you read the TOS of this site and others, you'll find that not all who respond are law students or lawyers. Instead, they, like me, are laymen with a broad range of experience in Human Resources, taxes, behavioral health, and/or other fields.

But regardless of the careers of those who have responded to you, you've been given accurate advice: VC means nothing in the US legal system. It's not a "get out of jail free" card that magically voids whatever someone writes it on.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Down the street and also down the avenue - he's posted at least three places that I've seen.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
. :unsure:
MW, your question wasn't about your employers' actions -- it was about the validity of putting VC near your signature. Not a single response (here, or at the other forums you've posted to) said that employers are immune from the law; to imply that is ridiculous.

Here is one of the problems you have: harassment (at least the illegal type), is defined by the law. And what you've described (being verbally "abused") probably DOESN'T meet the legal definition. Being a jerk-boss isn't illegal, unless it's happening BECAUSE you're in a protected class.

quincy

It's not the first I've heard of using V.C. on a document, but I am wondering why some guy on youtube would apparently blatantly lie about such a thing.
The abbreviation V.C. has been used in court filings in Michigan to indicate a party in an action has signed a document under duress, so Vi Coactus is certainly not an unheard of Latin term in U.S. courts.

The problem here is that disciplinary reports are not contracts and a signature on a disciplinary report is not indicating agreement with what is written in the report. A signature merely indicates that the report has been read by the one signing.

As to what is found on the internet: There is a lot of garbage published online. Sorting out fact from fiction can be a challenge. You need to look at the source of the information and investigate the reliability of the source - and then verify the information with other reliable sources.

Forums can be a mixed bag of both good and bad/correct and incorrect information. Nothing found on a legal forum should ever be used as a substitute for legal information provided you by an attorney licensed to practice in your own jurisdiction who you have hired to represent you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Post #8 by Taxing Matters was very well thought out and informative.

You should consider reading it.

The point of your signature on your employer's write ups is to provide proof that you were made aware of the employer's complaint. Therefore, adding the V.C. doesn't even make sense - are you going to try and argue at the unemployment office that you were unaware of the boss's displeasure with your job performance?!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The abbreviation V.C. has been used in court filings in Michigan to indicate a party in an action has signed a document under duress, so Vi Coactus is certainly not an unheard of Latin term in U.S. courts.
Just for the benefit of the OP, it is still not a term that is recognized with any real meaning in American law, however. That some people have to tried to make use of it does not change that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">