• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can my child support be raised in reguards to inheritance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
haiku said:
ergh......I wash my hands of you.....I agree with Belize........
This thread may need to be closed, but its not because the OP is bothersome -- it is because of the snide, abusive, one-sided remarks that some so-called senior members have and continue to make.

Its the quantity, not the quality of posts that makes someone a senior member and from what I have seen so far (with the possible exception of BelizeBreeze's first snide post, which as he constantly points out provided a valid legal answer) probably constitutes the majority of some of the posts. At the rate I am going responding to these obnoxious senior member posts, I'll be one in no time as well. Funny, I look at the join date of many so-called senior members and I have been a member of these boards much longer.

Missyjo -- while, as so many have repreatedly pointed out, you ex is meeting his LEGAL obligation by paying $327/month, you have the LEGAL and MORAL right to have this inheritance taken into account for child support purposes. You deserve a lot of admiration and praise for the lengths you have gone to ensure that your girls have a good quality of life, DESPITE the loser of a father they have. Good luck! I and I am sure others would be love to hear a report on the outcome and the legal procedures you had to go through.

Last edited:

eyemback

missyjo said:
all you have done is gripe about me through out this whole thing. I have asked my ex-husband for help with school clothes, sports fees, shoes, etc.... he tells me that is what the whopping $327.00/month is for.
So what are you using the child support for? How much are you supposed to be contributing.

Outside of the clueless who post on here, you're not going to get any sympathy lady. The fact of the matter is those things your listing that he's allegedly "not helping with", he is because that is what child support is for!!!! Get it through your head people!!!!

If you can't afford the child to be in sports, then I guess your child ain't playing (unfortunately). Just because you're getting child support does NOT mean it gives you or any other parent a free pass to start enrolling your child in every single activity that costs money. Would you have done this if you were still married?

Time to pick-n-choose, lady!

eyemback

missyjo said:
because I have tried to prove it and he always seems to get around it. I am not raising my girls "at a higher level." I just want them to be able to be in sports, girl scouts, piano lessons, etc....... so if that makes me a bad parent, then I guess I am. I just think that you are a NCP who is pissed off about how much you are paying, correct me if I am wrong
Again, you -- like other CP's like you are missing the point. If you don't have the EXTRA $$$ for extracurriculars, then they don't do 'em. It's pretty simple. Would you do something personally if you didn't have the money for it. You have a lot to learn, lady. Child support is to go to a PORTION of needed things for the child -- food, clothing, roof over their head. ANything left over from that can go to extracurriculars.

Your ex has no obligation to "make up" for the difference because you want your child to do this and that extra crap. If YOU want the children to do that, then I guess you need to get a better paying job or a second job to make up for that.

YOU are the one not being responsible.

Last edited:

eyemback

missyjo said:
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Maybe someday you could atleast get his income tax or something. That is what I had to do for the past 4 years
Hey, can you read? What part of "they can't find him" did you not understand?? :rolleyes:

eyemback

missyjo said:
Yes I would have to agree with you. That shows how stupid he is, because if he did file, yes you would get the refund, but atleast he would be lowering the balance due. men, never seem to use their brains much
Hey you f***ing b*tch...just because YOU made a piss-poor choice in men, does NOT give you any g-damn right to start bashing men, you trailer trash loser!!! Look at your posts...talk about someone who's not using their brains. Here's an idea, shut your piehole and get a better paying job, skank! Take your man-bashing to another site, loser.

TNBSMommy

eyemback said:
Hey you f***ing b*tch...just because YOU made a piss-poor choice in men, does NOT give you any g-damn right to start bashing men, you trailer trash loser!!! Look at your posts...talk about someone who's not using their brains. Here's an idea, shut your piehole and get a better paying job, skank! Take your man-bashing to another site, loser.

Yeah, the same could be said for your CP-bashing. You've sure been banned for it often enough...

OP, frankly it really doesn't matter what people on this site THINK about your situation...What matters is the legal aspect of it. Call a couple of attorneys and see about a consultation to explain your situation. That will get you much farther than you have gotten here.
Good luck.

eyemback

johannah11 said:
Missyjo -- while, as so many have repreatedly pointed out, you ex is meeting his LEGAL obligation by paying $327/month, you have the LEGAL and MORAL right to have this inheritance taken into account for child support purposes. You deserve a lot of admiration and praise for the lengths you have gone to ensure that your girls have a good quality of life, DESPITE the loser of a father they have. Good luck! I and I am sure others would be love to hear a report on the outcome and the legal procedures you had to go through.
I find it pathetic that some of you stupid broads on here (well, actually only 2 -- johannah and missyjo) are calling this guy a "loser" because you both feel he's not paying what he should. .

Is he paying his court-f***ing-order support?? YES, he is!

Who's the one who's over-extending themselves financially? IT'S THE OP!!! Anyone else who's financially responsible does not over-extend themselves. Child support does not give any parent that right to do that. If you do that, then YOU foot the bill because after all, YOU are the one who got your dumba$$ in that hole.

Spare me the "moral" bullsh*t. This has nothing to do with what's LEGAL! He submitted the legal, required documents to establish a support order. Oh, he's working under-the-table. So do thousands of other people in this country. What you need to do is find a way to get proof of that. That is YOUR fault and no one else's, OP.

I've asked this before and MissyDumbBroad continues to ignore it: HOW MUCH ARE YOU FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR A MONTH??!! WHO'S PAYING THE INSURANCE??? Answer the flipping questions you are asked or shut your low-income, trailer trash mouth!!!

eyemback

TNBSMommy said:
Yeah, the same could be said for your CP-bashing. You've sure been banned for it often enough...
It usually helps to know what in the hell you're talking about. Something you clearly can not relate to. :rolleyes:

eyemback said:
I think you should look in the mirror! That above-quoted little rant is straight out of the trailer park, buddy! You have a problem with a mother who is working hard at a respectable job (nursing) to support her kids, when her ex fits the stereotype of a deadbeat dad??? That, quite frankly, is insane.

The OP's posts have been balanced and resposive to the questions posed to her about her situation. I would think that more of you dad's, NCP or CP, would have a major problem with a father who is taking every opportunity he can to meet only the most minimal resposibilities of fatherhood. She is working to make a better life for her kids, period! He is not! Anyone who takes up for him in any way, shape, or form is the epitome of trailer trash.

eyemback said:
Again, you -- like other CP's like you are missing the point. If you don't have the EXTRA $$$ for extracurriculars, then they don't do 'em. It's pretty simple. Would you do something personally if you didn't have the money for it. You have a lot to learn, lady. Child support is to go to a PORTION of needed things for the child -- food, clothing, roof over their head. ANything left over from that can go to extracurriculars.

Your ex has no obligation to "make up" for the difference because you want your child to do this and that extra crap. If YOU want the children to do that, then I guess you need to get a better paying job or a second job to make up for that.

YOU are the one not being responsible.
Who said anything about her not being responsible or over-extending herself. You read that into this post. The bottom line is this -- the ex-loser came into some money and LEGALLY this can be taken into account for child support purposes. He may only have a legal obligation to pay $327 a month based on his "current" financial situation.

I find it absurd that none of you arguing that the $327 a month is just fine when the loser is actually bringing home much more. Isn't child support susposed to be based on income? He is not meeting his LEGAL obligation because he has lied to the court about his income. Anyway, his capacity to pay only $327 a month has changed due to the inheritance and so will the measly $327 a month.

eyemback

johannah11 said:
I think you should look in the mirror! That above-quoted little rant is straight out of the trailer park, buddy! You have a problem with a mother who is working hard at a respectable job (nursing) to support her kids, when her ex fits the stereotype of a deadbeat dad??? That, quite frankly, is insane.
You're a moron! Do you even know what makes up a "deadbeat dad". Oh wait, you're a tax attorney, so you're clueless. Idiot.

I would think that more of you dad's, NCP or CP, would have a major problem with a father who is taking every opportunity he can to meet only the most minimal resposibilities of fatherhood.
And that's all that's legally required, dumba$$. Have you bothered to look around this forum?? There are many parents out there who aren't even doing that. This woman should be counting her blessings he's paying what he's ordered and he's not in arrears.

She is working to make a better life for her kids, period! He is not! Anyone who takes up for him in any way, shape, or form is the epitome of trailer trash.
And so is the dad. He's working and paying his court-ordered support. Oh, so he's working a job that doesn't pay as much as nursing. Guess what, most jobs in the US in 2005 don't pay as much as nursing, so any attempt to make an argument won't work. By the way, how is that any different from those CP's out there who purposely hold minimum-wage (or slightly higher) jobs in order to keep their financial obligation low?

You're an idiot. No matter how much you and the OP try to spin this, this guy IS paying the court-ordered amount and no one (with a clue) is going to feel sorry for her. STOP SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE!! If he's truly working under the table, then she needs to take the steps needed to prove it and take it back to court. Until then, start a blog and shut it.

eyemback

johannah11 said:
Who said anything about her not being responsible or over-extending herself. You read that into this post.
Hey Dumb broad #1 -- she did. Piano lessons. Sports, etc. If you don't have the money for it after child support goes to the child's NECESSITIES, that is over-extending yourself. Dumba$$.

I find it absurd that none of you arguing that the $327 a month is just fine when the loser is actually bringing home much more.
Wow...for an alleged lawyer, you're a freaking moron. How many damn times do I have to repeat myself: PROVE HE IS BRINGING HOME MORE MONEY!!! Get a clue and your vision checked, too.

Isn't child support susposed to be based on income?
Yes and it was based on the required documents.

He is not meeting his LEGAL obligation because he has lied to the court about his income.
Prove it or stifle it, Edith. Again, I think that's like 6 times now I've mentioned that.

You're still losing this battle, woman. No wonder you're divorced. You're a piece of work.

Last edited:
Geez, all of this bashing is ridiculous. Look, it all boils down to this. The child support enforcement agency determines how much child support each parent should pay. This is based upon verifiable income. If you do not have proof that your ex is working under the table, then you cannot realistically expect to count whatever it is as income.

Most likely, this is a matter of you making more money than he is, which has led to his portion of child support being far less than yours. That's the way it works Believe me, many NCP's don't like it either, because everytime they get a higher paying job or work hard to make more money, their child support goes up, because CSED doesn't care if a child doesn't need $10,000/month to live (yes people like PDiddy have to pay that much.)

While it is possible that you MAY be able to get some of your ex's inheritance, my point is that you may SERIOUSLY want to reconsider pursuing such. The reason I say this is because if your ex is not in arrears and he is meeting his obligation, seeking more money could change that. And while that's not right, would you rather have $327/month or would you rather him run and you get nothing?

I don't agree that everytime that a parent comes into some temporary extra money that it means child support should be increased. What if you were married and and he had received that money? No court or agency would tell you that you'd better spend that money on your kids. Why??? Because it's your money and your decision. Why should this be any different?

haiku

johannah11 said:
This thread may need to be closed, but its not because the OP is bothersome -- it is because of the snide, abusive, one-sided remarks that some so-called senior members have and continue to make.

the OP got the correct legal advice.

It was only when people began harping on how 'little" the OP received that things began to rocket downhill, and then the OP herself, got into the fray.

Still no one has answered the question, "How much should he pay?" it hasn't been answered because no one can answer it.

the OP has admitted that her ex had 0 income during thier marriage, you cannot get blood from a stone, and he is employed now. We cannot compare what someone of obvious little education makes to someone who does have one. She likely will always make more than he does.

He is paying what he is supposed to be paying per the law. The OP has shared no further information as to how she knows he works "under the table". it may be true, it may not be true. Were this a SUPPORT site, too could go "wow what a jerk" but without FACTS to back up her accusation, he may very well be paying fully on what he actually makes.

Due to the fact that this is NOT a SUPPPORT site but a LEGAL one, we cannot always just pat folks on the back, and agree that yes, your ex is an unfeeling jerk.

We need just the facts, so that they can be steered in the right direction. getting all up in arms about how expensive kids are, and that they deserve more, may be 'true" but it will be of no help to you in a court room. Having the wrong "facts" in a court room can eventuallly lead to the lose of custody of your children. I for one, do not want to be "responsible" for patting someone on the back, giving the false sense of security, and sending them to thier doom in a courtroom. We can use our experience as a CP or NCP, but it shoudl not cloud our judgement.

Another point to ponder, is that the original question was NOT how little he pays, (though it was mentioned) but whether or not she was entitled to his inheritence. She was told there are ways she could possibly do that. but quite frankly, it IS rather distasteful.

And , as I mentioned upthread, 500,000 is really not that much of a windfall and alot is dependant as to how it is arrived at, she may or may not be aware of whether or not it is a 'liquid" 500,000. I could maybe see more of a legal right, if this were millions, and he was also far behind in child support of any amount, but not because an obviously unskilled worker, from well before he had children, and pays his court ordered support, came into a "small" inheritance.

Who is she to decide how he is going to spend his money? I 'm sure she would be none to pleased if he demanded she spend any of her extra mopney the way he desired her to. Being the CP does not give you supreme power over the NCP's extra money. She wants a college fund? well go right ahead and open one up. but no parent should be court ordered to open one, unless they BOTH agree to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">