• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Carrying a handgun on K-12 school property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because you can do something does not mean you should do something.

Also, because the law permits you to carry on school premises doesn't mean the school has to permit it, or that they can't fire you/refuse to allow you to volunteer further if you do.

Just Blue

Thanks for your replies, and i apologize for not mentioning this upfront but I am 22 years old. I volunteer a lot in the K-12 field and I wanted to double check that I could concealed carry legally without any issues.
As a parent I would be up in arms if I learned that some 22 year old yahoo was bringing a gun to my childs school just because s/he had "the right".

Go and volunteer elsewhere.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Also, because the law permits you to carry on school premises doesn't mean the school has to permit it, or that they can't fire you/refuse to allow you to volunteer further if you do.
The latter would be a matter of policy, the former is a matter of law. Some states have the provision to ban concealed carry with notice, others do not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not my point. My point is that EVEN IF she is permitted by law to concealed carry, the school has the right to prohibit it.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Not my point. My point is that EVEN IF she is permitted by law to concealed carry, the school has the right to prohibit it.
In a roundabout way. She may be banned from the school as having no business being in the school (i.e. "fired" from her function). A person holding a concealed handgun license in Oregon having legitimate business in a school is legally allowed to carry.

quincy

In a roundabout way. She may be banned from the school as having no business being in the school (i.e. "fired" from her function). A person holding a concealed handgun license in Oregon having legitimate business in a school is legally allowed to carry.
Adults are legally allowed to smoke and drink and dance topless (in some places), too, but even if an adult has legitimate business in a school, the school can prohibit that adult from smoking or drinking or dancing topless in the school, and can further ban that adult from entering the premises in the future.

A person who is legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon in Oregon, in other words, does NOT mean that the person is allowed to carry the concealed weapon any place they want. There are limits placed on almost all legal rights we have in this country.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Adults are legally allowed to smoke and drink and dance topless (in some places), too, but even if an adult has legitimate business in a school, the school can prohibit that adult from smoking or drinking or dancing topless in the school, and can further ban that adult from entering the premises in the future.

A person who is legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon in Oregon, in other words, does NOT mean that the person is allowed to carry the concealed weapon any place they want. There are limits placed on almost all legal rights we have in this country.
Oregon law specifically includes schools as a place where concealed carry is allowed.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Even if the school prohibits weapons on school property?
That is correct. License-holders are specifically excluded from the subsection of the law regarding guns not being allowed in public buildings (schools are not specifically mentioned in Oregon law, unlike other states). Additionally, any posting of "concealed weapons prohibited" in Oregon has no force in law.

Last edited:

quincy

That is correct. License-holders are specifically excluded from the subsection of the law regarding guns not being allowed in public buildings (schools are not specifically mentioned in Oregon law, unlike other states). Additionally, any posting of "concealed weapons prohibited" in Oregon has no force in law.
Interesting.

I am not sure I would want my kids enrolled in a school in Oregon.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oregon law specifically includes schools as a place where concealed carry is allowed.
I just threw up in my mouth. GUNS in schools? Elementary schools? Middle schools? High schools? I have a word for that and it is not a nice one. DUCK!

Well rhymes with....
And I am not anti-gun. Grew up knowing how to shoot. Was shooting handguns at the age of 7. Was trained to hunt ASAP in PA when I was a kid. I know guns. This though... yeah... don't have much to say but NO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">